X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Called back to the pagan... any advice?

was certain

Until the last few weeks where I've felt what I can only described as a calling(?).

A part of me aches to see the old megaliths and stone circles in the ancient hills, to run my fingers through the millenia old spirals cut into tones in remote places.

It seems the path of my life is changing... any advice?

Re: Called back to the pagan... any advice?

Is it at all possible for you to actually go visit some of the stone circles or spiraled stones? I get the metaphor, but maybe physically being in that space will help clarify some of your thoughts.

Beyond that, what kind of pagan bend did you find of interest in your 20's? Celtic? Something else?

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
      Is it at all possible for you to actually go visit some of the stone circles or spiraled stones? I get the metaphor, but maybe physically being in that space will help clarify some of your thoughts.
      I have begun to make a list of some of the places and i will be going there over the summer. I always understood that none of my family originated in that part of England but I recently found out that there is a definite connection to a remote village which is one of the first places on my list to visit.

Beyond that, what kind of pagan bend did you find of interest in your 20's? Celtic? Something else?
      In as much as it was part of any path I suppose it was vaguely Wiccan, i did a series of meditations and in one of them I saw something I can't explain but other than that I can't be sure.

i described what i saw to a girlfriend (a solitary Wiccan) who said it sounded like I had seen the Green Man, but given it was my third ever meditation that seems unlikely.

Comment

I think your trip is a good idea (plus I'm a little envious). :P

If you're restarting, so to speak, sometimes working through familiar territory can be a good place to pick up where you left off and see where it may lead you. I'm not Wiccan myself, but there are a lot of threads throughout the forum and a huge reading list that may be a good starting point. If anything strikes your fancy, you can always explore those tangents too.

If you have specific questions on anything that isn't already covered, I've found everyone here to be extremely helpful in trying to clarify or elaborate fiddly concepts.

Comment

I think your trip is a good idea (plus I'm a little envious). :P

If you're restarting, so to speak, sometimes working through familiar territory can be a good place to pick up where you left off and see where it may lead you. I'm not Wiccan myself, but there are a lot of threads throughout the forum and a huge reading list that may be a good starting point. If anything strikes your fancy, you can always explore those tangents too.

If you have specific questions on anything that isn't already covered, I've found everyone here to be extremely helpful in trying to clarify or elaborate fiddly concepts.
          I feel I should do something when i eventually go to one of these places... some kind of ritual perhaps, something meaningful... I've ordered a few of the books off the FAQ list, so maybe something will suggest itself...

The biggest struggle I'm finding is trying to hold two points of view at once. half of me feels that my spiritual thoughts are stupid and irrelevant... But then the more I think about finding a path the better I'm feeling... if that makes any sense...

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Pulse View Post
            The biggest struggle I'm finding is trying to hold two points of view at once. half of me feels that my spiritual thoughts are stupid and irrelevant... But then the more I think about finding a path the better I'm feeling... if that makes any sense...
            It does, and I can guarantee you that you aren't the first, or only, one that has ever, or is currently, going through that conflict. It's actually a really common phenomenon. Talking to other people who have gone through it can help wonders (and I think there are threads floating around here specifically on those topics). The rest just takes some time and a little trust in your interests to see how it all plays out.

Comment

Just had a looong chat with a knowledgeable friend of mine... I mentioned I'd had some pagan thoughts, his first comment?

"Welcome back."

Comment

Nice. You've got to love friends who take the time to genuinely listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Pulse
                  I can relate to this one!
                  Take it slow, you don't necessarily need to get out of the "broom closet", flailing a wand and ritual stuff around, just take long walks, spend in time in the nature (if you can), go to the places that feel meaningful to you somehow. That could be really spiritual without being Spiritual.
                  baah.

Comment

My advice is always to read. Read widely, in different religions and beliefs. See what resonates with you. But even more important than that, don't feel rushed.
                    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

I have begun to make a list of some of the places and i will be going there over the summer. I always understood that none of my family originated in that part of England but I recently found out that there is a definite connection to a remote village which is one of the first places on my list to visit.
                      As a Canadian who has visited Britain many times, might I make a suggestion?

Everyone goes to Stonehenge. And you know what? It's neat. It's impressive. But it's expensive, and fenced off, and you can't leave the grounds without going through the gift shop. I know. I've got the t-shirt.

If you're in that area, check out Avebury. I found Avebury more intimate, because you can still walk up and touch the stones.

And if you're looking to travel a little further, go to Scotland and check out the ring of brodgar. The whole isle of Orkney resonates with power. ...or at least, I thought so. It's probably one of the most perfect places I've ever visited.

Mostly art.

Comment

I've done some google-fu and found a lit of very obscure and some not so obscure standing stones in Northumberland that certainly fit the bill... now I just have to find or make the time to get up there.

But, as you helpful folk have suggested, there's no rush...

Still not sure what the connection is between standing stones, pentagrams and Faeries but a quote I found today was surprisingly apt at summing up how I've been feeling of late...

"The fair folk are with us still
                        In Lonely wood and hollow hill
                        Reaching out to those who hear
                        Crossing Boundaries to be near
                        Faery music on the wind
                        calls us back to who we've been"

Comment

So my wife knew when I was an atheist and was not happy but accepted it and moved on.
                          However while out shopping (!) I just mentioned very briefly yesterday that I was no longer an atheist. Her anxious response:

"Oh... I hope you're not going to be a pagan!?"

Me: "ummm. We need bread and milk on this shopping list".

So I don't want to hide my first faltering steps on hopefully spiritual journey. But it looks like I may have to

Comment

My advice is to get out into nature as much as possible, preferably with other people. While Catholicism can be a deeply spiritual religion, it can be very indifferent and even hostile to our need to connect with nature and the spirits of the forest. It wants you inside its church.

Us moderns tend to stay indoors all day isolated from nature. Many only see nature on their way from one building to the next, including on their way to church where there is more isolation.

Spend time in nature, listen to nature. You will find your path over time.

If you get lonely, go to church once in a while to feel part of a wider community. It isn't a bad thing.

Comment

So my wife knew when I was an atheist and was not happy but accepted it and moved on.
                              However while out shopping (!) I just mentioned very briefly yesterday that I was no longer an atheist. Her anxious response:

"Oh... I hope you're not going to be a pagan!?"

Me: "ummm. We need bread and milk on this shopping list".

So I don't want to hide my first faltering steps on hopefully spiritual journey. But it looks like I may have to
                              Sometimes it takes baby steps. Maybe just a matter of getting used to the idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X