Quote Originally Posted by Norse_Angel View Post
This is great! I just have to put trust into I guess. But it is missing a couple I do want. Absinthe would be awesome to grow, but again, quite hard to find
The herbs for absinthe are easy to find. Absinthe itself is not all that easy to make--you have to distill it (so you need the set up for distillation). But there are easier "homemade" infused alcohol versions.

There are three main herbs that make the absinthe flavor--common wormwood, anise, and fennel. Artemisia absinthium is the specific variety of wormwood...heck, it grows here as a weed, it is what you get the woo factor from (from the thujone). Green anise (Pimpinella anisum) contains anethol, which is also reputed to have psychotropic effects--its also what gives absinthe the clouding effect when you add water (like in Rakı). Sweet fennel (Foeniculum vulgare) is similar in flavor and chemical composition to anise, but the flavor is different enough that it compliments the other two. To be absinthe, these three herbs are pretty much a must-have, but there are other herbs too that are commonly included.

The rest of the herbs that often show up in various absinthe include calamus, star anise, angelica, corriader, hyssop, lemon balm, roman chamomile, small wormwood (Artemisia pontica), peppermint (a variety of mints really), lemon peel, and veronica (aka speedwell). At least one historical commercially available was a pink absinthe, made with hibiscus (which is tart like lemon...also how I make pink lemonade).