Cheddar Herb Scones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheddar Herb Scones

I'm new, so this is my first offering. These are easy, delicious, they freeze well (unbaked) and everyone loves them. I freeze them on a baking sheet, then toss them into a ziplock bag so I can have a freshly baked scone with soup, salad, or just when I'm hungry. They make great "buns" for sandwiches with cheddar cheese, avocado, tomato, and lettuce.

Cheddar and Herb Scones

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    4 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/3 cup white granulated sugar
    1 1/2 tsp table salt
    1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
    6 tablespoons chopped parsley and/or dill (or whatever herbs you like)
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 400-degrees F

Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, garlic powder and herbs in a mixing bowl.

Add grated cheddar cheese into dry ingredients and mix well with a fork.

Pour milk and oil into a measuring cup together, but don't stir.

Pour liquid in cup into dry ingredients and stir with a fork until all ingredients are moistened and dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Knead dough in bowl 10 or 12 times.

Use a 1 to 2", scoop out portions of dough onto a nonstick or parchment-lined baking sheet. Scoops should not be too large, or they will be overdone on the outside and doughy on the inside.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until tops are golden brown and centers are not doughy.

Re: Cheddar Herb Scones

Originally posted by Celene View Post
    I'm new, so this is my first offering. These are easy, delicious, they freeze well (unbaked) and everyone loves them. I freeze them on a baking sheet, then toss them into a ziplock bag so I can have a freshly baked scone with soup, salad, or just when I'm hungry. They make great "buns" for sandwiches with cheddar cheese, avocado, tomato, and lettuce.

Cheddar and Herb Scones

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    4 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/3 cup white granulated sugar
    1 1/2 tsp table salt
    1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
    6 tablespoons chopped parsley and/or dill (or whatever herbs you like)
    1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup canola oil

Preheat oven to 400-degrees F

Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, garlic powder and herbs in a mixing bowl.

Add grated cheddar cheese into dry ingredients and mix well with a fork.

Pour milk and oil into a measuring cup together, but don't stir.

Pour liquid in cup into dry ingredients and stir with a fork until all ingredients are moistened and dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Knead dough in bowl 10 or 12 times.

Use a 1 to 2", scoop out portions of dough onto a nonstick or parchment-lined baking sheet. Scoops should not be too large, or they will be overdone on the outside and doughy on the inside.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until tops are golden brown and centers are not doughy.
    And now, I'm hungry.

I wonder if this would work with colby-jack...I'm totally out of cheddar.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

It'll work with any cheese. Or no cheese, and up the sugar to get a sweet scone.

Comment

Cheese?

Did someone say "cheese"?
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
        X