Pet Fox/Wolf Hybrids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pet Fox/Wolf Hybrids

So for the price of a dog, you can actually purchase a pet fox. You need special permits and licenses to do so, but those aren't too hard to obtain. I really want a fox... I've always felt so connected to them, and they're such playful animals.

As well, in some states you can purchase a wolf hybrid. These are wolves bred with types of dogs, and states have certain laws on content DNA, as well as proper containment.

Have you ever come across someone with an exotic, or wild animal for a pet? My friend does own a wolf dog, but she's one of the sweetest things you'll ever find. And her howling is absolutely astonishing up close.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Pet Fox/Wolf Hybrids

A neighbor where I used to live had a Timber Wolf/Malamute dog. She was AWESOME!! She couldn't be around small dogs or cats, but was good with people. She would see me and wag her tail, slowly, with grace. And she didn't just look at me, she REGARDED me. Those yellow eyes looked right into my soul.

I met someone at a local festival here with an Artic Fox on a leash. He said she made a great pet, very doglike, needs a large fenced yard to run/play. I held her - lovely fur!

And then there's my parrot, which is a separate case entirely.....they are tame but not domesticated!
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I know what you mean with the regarding stares. Very intelligent creatures they are. It's an entire different look than a regular dog will give you. It's a very quizzical, interpretative eyeing.
      And yes, that would be the only down side for me in ever purchasing a fox. I would need a good deal of land for it to be happily exercised. But I could only imagine walking my pet fox down to the local pet store. Ahaha
      - Finn's Saga

Comment

It's good that you feel connected with them. There is a saying in Russian - "Сколько волка не корми, он всё в лес смотрит", or in English "No matter how much you feed a wolf, it always looks into the forest". Basically it means that no matter how close you get to a wolf (or fox, in our case), it will always be a wild animal, not one that can be kept as a pet.

Thought there was a guy who actually became close with wolves. He studied them for a long time, participated in their hunting and at some point they acknowledged him as their "friend". The pack visited him pretty often, but none of them was his pet. Think about it.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

There was actually a project in Russia in the 1950s that heralded to domesticating foxes. At one point they had over 4000 domesticated. But lack of funding has resulted in the selling of those fit, and the research team now has around 1000 I think. But foxes are very friendly creatures, and from all the cases I've heard and read about, they make great pets. Just need extra attention and enough space to make the comfortable. They bond in the same type of way that dogs do.
          - Finn's Saga

Comment

Yes, that's true. Just be careful, man.
            I don't know about foxes, so I can't really say anything about them. But they seem to be pretty nice.
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Years ago I had a friend who purchased a wolf hybrid. A beautiful animal that couldn't be left alone for more than 5 minutes...he would tear up absolutely anything and everything in an attempt to get outside. He was obviously miserable as a "pet". I turned down the opportunity to have one myself (a "free to a good home" kind of thing) for just that reason. IMO, just because an animal *can* be technically domesticated does not mean that they should be. The animal's welfare should be paramount over a person's desire to own an animal just because it's unique. There are several people in my area alone that breed and raise these "hybrids" and they will say anything they need to to make money off of them. It rarely ends well for the new owner or the animal. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

They aren't house pets. You must have a good amount of land, and a nice area for that animal to roam, run, and play. Those who stuff any semi-domesticated animal into a house environment isn't doing it properly, and will not have good results. With foxes, it's the same principle
                - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                  Have you ever come across someone with an exotic, or wild animal for a pet? My friend does own a wolf dog, but she's one of the sweetest things you'll ever find. And her howling is absolutely astonishing up close.
                  My Uncle who still lives in Kent, owns two male Servals. They're both such sweet hearts and act like proud puppies. A lot of work though.

I've owned a calico fox and opossum for 3 years before giving them to a wildlife center. The fox was given to me as a kit by a local. They do indeed require a good amount of running space, and must have an enclosure on the outside or in. I made his enclosure on the inside because I didn't like the thought of him outside overnight. However, foxes are active during nights, so they're loud, rambunctious and can cause you to lose 1 or 2 hours of sleep. They aren't all too hygienic either, and can stink up a house quickly. Because they emit a particular musk that can be unpleasant, its best you have a well ventilated home. Foxes also tend to be the 'babies' if you have more than one companion living with you, and because they never quite lose their feral instincts, they can lash out at smaller critters. So I believe it's best to have no other animals (or at least small ones) in the home if one gets a fox.

As for the opossum, I rescued her from the roadside. Her mother and siblings were road-killed and she was unharmed and still clinging to her mother's body. She became domesticated due to me keeping her for the 3 year period, hence why I had to put her into a care facility too. Opossums aren't much different from cats in my opinion. They make fairly good companions and are capable of expressing affection. They cannot be kept inside always though. They need a pen-enclosure and occasional gentle baths to tame their natural musk. They also get along with other animals, if raised together. Besides that, they're possibly one of the sweetest beasties Ive ever had the pleasure of raising.
                  "By yarrow and rue, and my redcap too."

Comment

Originally posted by Kindred View Post
                    Years ago I had a friend who purchased a wolf hybrid. A beautiful animal that couldn't be left alone for more than 5 minutes...he would tear up absolutely anything and everything in an attempt to get outside. He was obviously miserable as a "pet". I turned down the opportunity to have one myself (a "free to a good home" kind of thing) for just that reason. IMO, just because an animal *can* be technically domesticated does not mean that they should be. The animal's welfare should be paramount over a person's desire to own an animal just because it's unique. There are several people in my area alone that breed and raise these "hybrids" and they will say anything they need to to make money off of them. It rarely ends well for the new owner or the animal. Just my 2 cents.
                    See, that's the thing with genetics. You don't really know what you're gonna get. I've heard a lot of bad things, and I guess that sort of hybridization is something we really shouldn't do. My friend's wolf-dog was pretty near perfect, though - she had a strong hunting instinct, and like I said, couldn't be around small dogs,e tc., because she'd eat them. But she was very loving and devoted to her owner, and she liked me a lot. She passed away last year (she was pretty old, not sure how old.) I will miss seeing her when I visit. It was really something to look into her eyes and pet her. Glad I had the experience. This is her:
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

A friend of mine had a dog that was allegedly half wolf, half something SUPER fluffy. He was pretty big, and thought he was a lap dog, and howled. But he was far from aggressive and lived just fine with another smaller dog.

As much as I love wolves and foxes, I think the closest I'd get to an exotic pet is my hedgehog. But they are pretty.

Comment

There was actually a project in Russia in the 1950s that heralded to domesticating foxes.
                        I was actually going to mention this one. It's about 8,900 for the fox, importation, liscencing, etc...

Comment

Ehh, on the link I posted, you can get a fox for the price of a dog. Around $500. Not sure on the licensing, the land, and the materials to build an enclosure though.
                          - Finn's Saga

Comment

IMHO: 99% of people that want a wild animal as a pet should never be in a position to do so. Wild animals are not pets, period. While some tame animals do well in captivity (chinchillas, for one) with responsible owners, the majority of them are a danger to themselves, to their owners, to others in the home, and to the environment over all.

Coydogs, Wolf-dog hybrids are not dogs (nor for that matter are cat-whatever hybrid cats) and are not household pets (a hybrid animal isn't half of one and the other, it is something new behaviorally and genetically), and should only be owned by people with the know-how and experience and means to do so responsibly. The domesticated fox is something else...but still--while the animal might make a good pet for some people, more people lack the sense to be a good owner than not. The problem with exotic animals (and domesticated or not, this is still exotic) is that some people suck and most people are ultimately irresponsible even when they they have the best of intentions.

If this ever takes off, all it will do is increase the burden of animal shelters.

Hell, most people shouldn't even own a hamster.

Ehh, on the link I posted, you can get a fox for the price of a dog. Around $500. Not sure on the licensing, the land, and the materials to build an enclosure though.
                            I doubt its a domesticated fox then.

ETA: I feel like a total buzz kill, but I regularly deal with feral cats. Plus yesterday we had to rescue an adorable dog from the street and turn him over to animal control because of irresponsible people. People can't manage the pets that are easily available to them, I certainly hate the idea of expanding the selection of things to mistreat and neglect. And I say this as someone that has owned chinchillas, a ball python, and a sun conure because their owners didn't want them any more (or couldn't have them anymore).
                            Last edited by thalassa; 09 May 2015, 10:51. Reason: double post
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

I absolutely agree with the majority you said. The steps to get a license to own a fox are quite hard to do. There are many things you have to prove, and I'm pretty sure some states need you to take a course on proper care and stuff like that. I'm also sure you need to show some states you have a proper enclosure to keep them. I don't think it should be decided upon lightly. They need a lot of attention, and there must be a lot of effort put into training. I'm not sure if they are domesticated. But many of those on that site say they are. Never really means they 100% are though.
                              - Finn's Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X