Pet Fox/Wolf Hybrids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pet Fox/Wolf Hybrids

Sadly no. I leave my phone in my car when I'm with them. They do not enjoy electronical devices like that, and I for one, prefer their full company vs the annoying buzzes of my phone, and other distractions it may hold. They are the ones who helped me find my path, so when I'm with them, it's slightly a sacred time space.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

That's ok, I'll just google flying squirrel images. :P But it's still cute.

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
        Come on people, no need to insult anyone for how long they've been here vs your own opinions vs "I am better than you with this stuff" type of attitudes. Not necessary.
        Sometimes people take differences of opinions personally. If it passes a "reasonable person standard" of readability in clearly not attacking someone, then its out of my hands (mod-wise).

Anyways, I went to my God Fathers yesterday, and he has domesticated a group of flying squirrels. Not even kidding, they are just the cutest little things you'll ever see. You'll hold a nut up to the tree, and one or two will come down, and slowly take it from you. They'll sit there and let you pet them, where they make these adorable queuing sounds.
        I shouldn't say domesticated, he's made friends with a group of flying squirrels. They must be going on in generations. He's lived there for the last 30 years, and they've been in the tree since. Haven't Renested or anything.
        My grandparents' neighbor has a squirrel tree like this. He's tamed a couple of them to the point that they will actually jump onto his chest and take nuts from his mouth. They quite like pecans. As a kid, I thought this was totally awesome...as an adult, I have mixed feelings....but, at the end of the day, their generations are short and rewilding won't take long should something happen to him or sell the place. :/

...it drives my grandma crazy though, because she can't get purple martins anymore--the puffy tailed tree rats (what she calls them) keep taking all their food.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

When I was a kid, I used to feed hedgehogs. There was one in particular that I really loved, and he'd let me stroke him (yeah, he was riddled with ticks). Looking back, I can see how selfish this was. Wild animals should be scared of humans, because they're not all like me. A few years ago, there were some young foxes in the area that were friendly towards cats and would take food from the hands of children. I feared for their safety. They're no longer around. You still see foxes, there are at least 2 families that I know of, but the tame ones have gone. I hope they just moved on, but I fear that someone harmed them.

Then again, I don't even like it when domesticated cats are friendly. I can't help myself so I always say hello, but I think I should't encourage them. Not all humans are friends. Some might just put you in a wheelie bin, but some will do much worse. Wild animals should stay away from humans, domestic animals should stay safe within our protection. Tameness in wild animals makes them so vulnerable.

Again, in light of recent comments in this thread.. I'm not finger pointing here. I've fed wild animals in the past too, and still feed birds out of the kitchen window at work just as the sun is rising. I'm just voicing my opinions.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            Then again, I don't even like it when domesticated cats are friendly. I can't help myself so I always say hello, but I think I should't encourage them. Not all humans are friends. Some might just put you in a wheelie bin, but some will do much worse. Wild animals should stay away from humans, domestic animals should stay safe within our protection. Tameness in wild animals makes them so vulnerable.
            Makes them most likely to get hit by a car, rather than abused...at least around here. Or eaten by an osprey.

Again, in light of recent comments in this thread.. I'm not finger pointing here. I've fed wild animals in the past too, and still feed birds out of the kitchen window at work just as the sun is rising. I'm just voicing my opinions.
            When people are sensical about it, I don't mind too much--there are ways to feed wildlife that minimize the effect of our interaction. Plus...if this is what it takes to get people to give a damn, who I am to quibble? I just want people to take the 5 minutest to figure out if its a good idea, and if not, if there is a better way....like with feeding ducks (I let the kiddos do this, because I feel the benefit of children that appreciate and nigh on revere wildlife is worth the risk).
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

We have birds. Like a big aviary in our porch area. You could fit a man inside the cage!
              Anywho. A little wild birdy fell out of the sky! Like it was flying then went whooop. Crash! We put it in a mini cage over night with some food and water. We took it outside and it flew away! All better.
              That's all I got to contribute I guess.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                I'm also kind of wondering if hedgehogs are allowed to be pets in Australia... but that's aside the point.
                I've not checked the official word but I highly doubt it. It's incredibly difficult to be able to import non native species unless you are a zoo. And I can't see Aus quarantine officials being happy about potential release risks.

Personally I consider hedgehogs in the same category as chinchillas and many bird species... if it's done properly they can be happy, but I don't think just anyone should own them. They're not really the same controversy as say a lynx or cougar or as a pet, but they aren't truly domesticated yet, so they're still special needs. I'm okay with many exotics pets in the right hands... it's whether or not the average person is the 'right hands' that can be tricky.

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                I shouldn't say domesticated, he's made friends with a group of flying squirrels. They must be going on in generations. He's lived there for the last 30 years, and they've been in the tree since. Haven't Renested or anything.
                'Tamed' or 'humanised' would be aproppriate terms. Domestication is something that happens to species, not individuals, and it involves physical and behavioural changes that happen over generations. A species is not 'domestic' until the traits reliably breed into the offspring, resulting in a 'breed' or in some cases 'subspecies' that are differentiated from the wild counterparts. The fox is a good example of this. There is a single group of domestic foxes as has been mentioned, but it is possible to raise a tame wild fox. A tame wild fox is not the same as a domestic fox though.

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                When I was a kid, I used to feed hedgehogs. There was one in particular that I really loved, and he'd let me stroke him (yeah, he was riddled with ticks). Looking back, I can see how selfish this was. Wild animals should be scared of humans, because they're not all like me. A few years ago, there were some young foxes in the area that were friendly towards cats and would take food from the hands of children. I feared for their safety. They're no longer around. You still see foxes, there are at least 2 families that I know of, but the tame ones have gone. I hope they just moved on, but I fear that someone harmed them.

Humanising wildlife is definitely risky, but there are a few urban species who actually adapt very well to being humanised and can still maintain healthy and relatively safe lives coexisting with humans. If you interact closely with several generations in a row, though, you start to get into a slightly different dependancy issue, which is not very responsible. Generally, urban foxes, squirrels, possums and most urban birds can be fed in a responsible manner... or in an irresponsible manner. It's important to use appropriate foodstuffs when feeding them, though.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                When people are sensical about it, I don't mind too much--there are ways to feed wildlife that minimize the effect of our interaction. Plus...if this is what it takes to get people to give a damn, who I am to quibble? I just want people to take the 5 minutest to figure out if its a good idea, and if not, if there is a better way....like with feeding ducks (I let the kiddos do this, because I feel the benefit of children that appreciate and nigh on revere wildlife is worth the risk).
                I imagine that you are responsible about this, 'cos you always are... but what do you let them feed the ducks? Bread is not responsible, and even corn or wheat is not ideal (acceptable though), but something like chopped spinach or similar greens, or even frozen peas is a good choice for most wild duck species. Mealworms are also an okay treat , if you can get them.

We have a tendancy over here for people to feed wild magpies and kookoburras bread or beef mince, and that causes all sorts of issues for them because of the nutritional deficiencies it creates. Everyone likes to feed wild birds, but few people are willing to go out and buy appropriate things to feed them, which is sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                  I've not checked the official word but I highly doubt it. It's incredibly difficult to be able to import non native species unless you are a zoo. And I can't see Aus quarantine officials being happy about potential release risks.

Personally I consider hedgehogs in the same category as chinchillas and many bird species... if it's done properly they can be happy, but I don't think just anyone should own them. They're not really the same controversy as say a lynx or cougar or as a pet, but they aren't truly domesticated yet, so they're still special needs. I'm okay with many exotics pets in the right hands... it's whether or not the average person is the 'right hands' that can be tricky.
                  Thanks for responding. I feel like I read about it at one point when I was looking at options to taking my hedgehog with me when we moved overseas (although not to Australia). It's not really feasible, or kind to the hedgehog, for the record.

I agree whole-heartedly with you that hedgehogs (and chinchillas, and gliders, etc...) are tricky and require extra attention, knowledge, and care to take care of properly. And they really aren't technically "domesticated" yet. It's often said they are "halfway" domesticated, but if you've ever handled a a hedgehog and a house cat you will know the difference in temperament pretty quickly.

I never really understood the want of a big wild cat as a pet. If you work in a zoo and are the vet tech or feeder for those cats and they've learned that you aren't really a threat, ok. But they're simply not meant to be pets. That concept of taking in something entirely wild just to have it brings out the worst kind of upset in me.

Anywho, bowing out now.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                    I imagine that you are responsible about this, 'cos you always are...
                    When it comes to teaching the kids about their responsibility to their surroundings and minimizing our ecological footprint, I try. Sometimes though, its a balancing act. Feeding a duck, having them come up to you, having that *moment* is important to our appreciation of wildlife...it on of the experiences what fosters that love, that wonderment, that makes people give a hoot (give a quack?). On the other hand...when everyone does it all the time and does it incorrectly, its hard on the animal and the environment--does "doing it better" help or just hurt less? I'd like to think that in the long run, it helps, because it nurtures that bond with the world around us and makes us more invested. But maybe its wishful thinking.

Peas (frozen) are the easiest thing to feed them. We only feed them in the end of summer/fall/early winter--no feeding baby ducklings, no feeding during breeding season--its bad for the babies growth and disruptive to breeding competition. We also don't feed at the park, and we try very very hard not to feed the geese...we rotate between a couple of "wild" (urban wild, lol) locations we know, so that we aren't regularly going to any one spot (whatever they don't eat ends up in the aquatic ecosystem afterall). All this sort of makes it sound like its a regular routine that we do, but "looking for ducks to feed" is a sort of big event for my kids (my kids react to this like most kids (including themselves) react to a party at Chuck E. Cheese)...its *maybe* something we do twice a year.
                    sigpic

Comment

Another story for you. I used to work in a music store when I was younger (around 15 or 16.) The owner of the shop was a very kind, out-there Sort of guy. He owns a ranch with horses, chickens, and other animals. Well, one day, I came into work to see a baby raccoon with a diaper on, trotting around the store. Apparently my boss found it abandoned on the outskirts of his ranch, and took it in. My job for the 8 hour shift I worked was to make sure the little brat didn't get into mischief. at every turn, every 5 minutes, I had to stop "Teddy" (what my boss named it) from chewing on cords to amplifiers and sound gear. I was bit twice, and frequently scratched. At least Jeff (owner of the store) brought me some hydrogen peroxide just in case, for his fingers were practically eaten away for the first two weeks he cared for the kit. He still has the raccoon, and apparently they are best friends. It's potty trained, and basically acts like a weird cat/dog mix. His wife hates it.

- - - Updated - - -

oh and this is quite relevant. Everyone meet Jonas the Tiger. I'm mesmerized by this video honestly. There are a couple more, feel free to google "Jonas the Tiger"
                      "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                      And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                      They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                      The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                      - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Ducks are also amazingly fond of frogs and minnows. Frogs are a problem, 'cause I really, really like frogs, but sometimes we buy minnows at the bait shop and toss them in a wading pool.

It would be kinda hard to do if you don't happen to own the ducks, though but it is fun in a rednecky sort of way...
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          When it comes to teaching the kids about their responsibility to their surroundings and minimizing our ecological footprint, I try. Sometimes though, its a balancing act. Feeding a duck, having them come up to you, having that *moment* is important to our appreciation of wildlife...it on of the experiences what fosters that love, that wonderment, that makes people give a hoot (give a quack?). On the other hand...when everyone does it all the time and does it incorrectly, its hard on the animal and the environment--does "doing it better" help or just hurt less? I'd like to think that in the long run, it helps, because it nurtures that bond with the world around us and makes us more invested. But maybe its wishful thinking.

Peas (frozen) are the easiest thing to feed them. We only feed them in the end of summer/fall/early winter--no feeding baby ducklings, no feeding during breeding season--its bad for the babies growth and disruptive to breeding competition. We also don't feed at the park, and we try very very hard not to feed the geese...we rotate between a couple of "wild" (urban wild, lol) locations we know, so that we aren't regularly going to any one spot (whatever they don't eat ends up in the aquatic ecosystem afterall). All this sort of makes it sound like its a regular routine that we do, but "looking for ducks to feed" is a sort of big event for my kids (my kids react to this like most kids (including themselves) react to a party at Chuck E. Cheese)...its *maybe* something we do twice a year.
                          I wish more people would do it this way. When I see a website saying 'don't feed bread, but feed corn instead' I kind of cringe inside... it's just as easy to get a bag of frozen peas or a bunch of spinach, so why are we recommending corn or cracked wheat? That doesn't even come close to the natural diet of most dabbling species of duck. I hate that a lot of the research that we can do on the internet comes back with misinformation, and I hate that I've seen people who've dutifully done their research and think they're doing the right thing end up still not quite getting it right.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          Ducks are also amazingly fond of frogs and minnows. Frogs are a problem, 'cause I really, really like frogs, but sometimes we buy minnows at the bait shop and toss them in a wading pool.

It would be kinda hard to do if you don't happen to own the ducks, though but it is fun in a rednecky sort of way...
                          Torey wont let me feed live prey to ours. He draws a line at live prey, despite the nutritional benefits of using them over other common treats. So ours get daily greens, and sometimes mealworms (dead ones) from a can as extra special treats.

I'm thinking about firing up mum's old worm farm while we're here though, to seed the dirt in their pen and give them more foraging opportunities. Torey's okay with worms as live prey lol.

And now we're way off topic. Sorry. Y'all should know better than to bring up feeding wildlife while I'm around

Comment

Working...
                          X