Belief vs. Reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belief vs. Reason

So first off, hi! I haven't really been around in forever, this'll be my first thread after so long. Looking forward to jumping back in to some interesting discussions with you guys. Anyway, now that we have that out of the way--

I'm really curious about something that I've never bothered to poll my fellow Pagans about: Are your beliefs based primarily upon faith, or reason? Are you, or were you at any point, a skeptic? That is, do you employ things like Occam's Razor into your belief system? Do you seek or do you feel you have evidence for any or all of your beliefs?

For those of you who do rely on evidence and reason, what, to you, constitutes evidence? What evidence have you found during your time as a Pagan?

For those of you who rely upon belief, how do you feel about skepticism? What caused you to believe as you do now?

I realize this is a very lengthy topic, but I hope you'll indulge me. No need to answer all of the questions - I just wanted to put them all out there to start the conversation.

------

I suppose if I'm going to pry as much, I should probably answer as well, right? Personally, I used to be an agnostic/skeptic. I came out of the madness of fundy land and immediately became very stubborn about NOT wanting to believe anything off-hand. It took a very long time and a lot of compelling evidence before I caved in and believed that there was in fact enough veracity to magic, the paranormal, the supernatural, and so on, to become a believer.

Today, I have two categories of belief:
    1. Beliefs I hold very firmly because I have seen undeniable evidence, especially things like witnesses, blind test subjects, news stories, things like that -- for example, if you set specific parameters for the magic you intend to do, you do it without telling anyone, and people come forward of their own volition (or even better, it's on the news or something) describing those specific parameters having been met, you can pretty confidently say you've proven that your spell worked. Strangely enough, I believe in some really crazy stuff today because I've been confronted with crazy amounts of evidence to back it up. Truth is stranger than fiction, and for some of us, we're lucky (or perhaps unlucky!) enough to see the crazy side of life. For example, I absolutely believe that shapeshifters and werewolves exist. I would not have ever believed in this if I had not seen enough compelling evidence to support it including personally encountering a werewolf (or as they call them in Michigan, "dogman") face-to-face. That's a pretty crazy belief, and crazy beliefs require crazy amounts of evidence, but I felt I most definitely had enough to convince me. Did I grab a camera in that moment of sheer terror? Hell no! I was mostly thinking "please gods don't let it eat me". Therefore, I always welcome skepticism from others - it's understandable to be skeptical of tall claims like that, and this is the internet after all. But I know in my bones that the evidence was there, and that these things exist, therefore I hold the belief firmly to be fact.

2. My "theoretical folder" (I don't know, I just sort of ended up calling it that, haha) -- it should probably be more like the "hypothetical folder", but I digress. These are beliefs I hold, but simultaneously admit I cannot prove and therefore they are simply beliefs and may be subject to change at any point in time. It may be that there is vague evidence but not enough to satisfy me, or it may be that there is none at all, but for whatever reason, even though I like to believe these things, ultimately I will always say that they are basically in my little "theoretical folder" category. Sometimes I'm okay with it staying that way; I think in some ways, spiritual matters can be very hazy, sort of philosophical or subjective, so in many cases I'm okay with diving in confidently knowing that I may be wrong. Life is about learning and change anyway.

Re: Belief vs. Reason

I'm probably one of those that's in the middle with this. I wouldn't believe without having some kind of evidence, but if I couldn't convince myself that there was an inherent logic to it, I would probably just conclude that I was going insane.

I'll start with the reason side first. The universe is just mind boggling to me. While it seems to have a set of rules to guide everything by, because of the multiple dimension and multi-verse theories out there, the mystery of gravity, dark matter, it makes me wonder if some of these things can be explained in ways other than the mundane that we think we know about it.

One theory I've amassed is that a lot of our spirituality may just be a result of human thought. Christianity is where it is due to humans thinking about it, and when people call upon "the spirit of god" or something, they're calling upon their own version of it (theologically speaking). After all, there are so many different denominations, who have probably had spiritual experiences where they were told different ideas from the god they were trying to reach out to, that would contradict other denominations' views. The same could be said about other religions or gods or goddesses, that our thoughts about them create them, or maybe account for just a small portion of what we experience.

On the other hand, I've had firsthand experiences from my previous church I went to, that could possibly only be explained through supernatural means (as far as we know). I prayed for someone in tongues one time, and they thought I was preaching in English, just as an example. But on the non-christian side of things, I've had two out of body experiences, seen two spirits (for lack of a better phrasing) at two different points in my life, and felt that there was always someone there guiding me along my day to day life, in a way where things always seem to work out for me in the end, even if there seems to be no hope.

To bring the two together, I really don't know where I stand. Even after going here for two and a half years, I'm still spiritually a newbie, just soaking up information I read from here, other places on the internet, or in books. I have yet to have that many spiritual experiences, but the ones I have don't necessarily prove or disprove my reason theories. And of course, while my ideas so far are somewhere along the lines of soft or "medium" polytheist, as I gain more experiences, I may change what I believe.

Comment

Having been raised in an atheist household, I was instilled early on with a critical and empirical mindset. I had long rejected fideistic belief--or 'blind belief'. Why believe in something without proof for it, in some fashion or another? So it was very hard for me to come to terms with polytheism. I kinda accepted a broad pantheism, later soft polytheism. It took actual experiences with deity to convince me of hard polytheism.
      I would not have accepted it had I not seen it myself. For me, nothing less would constitute evidence. Being subject, the UPG of others is not applicable to me and my own beliefs. Though to an extent I have compared my own experiences to those of others.

Comment

Faith, my beliefs are based on faith. Complete and utter faith. Have I been "rewarded" for my faith yes. I have been visited by the Goddess and God. I have never had to have proof first. There are just some things you know deep down and they are something I have always known.
        "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

To make it really short:

I believe in Satan because I've met Satan (reason).

I believe the entity I met is Satan (faith).

And I think this applies for a lot of people. I'm going to make, during this week, a post about faith, and how we are all subject to it on one way or another.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Just wanted to pop in to clarify that I don't judge anyone who believes based on faith and I'm not trying to make skepticism/reason sound like the better way to go, or even my own methods (a weird blend of the two) as being best. I felt like I might have potentially offended those who believe based on faith, and I want to be sure and let you guys know I'm not trying to ruffle feathers. I know how it is when skeptics come crawling out of the woodwork demanding proof from us and mocking us and making us sound stupid and crazy - it's annoying as hell. I'm not like that, don't worry. I was more interested in a kind of poll, out of curiosity.

Actually, the truth is I kind of envy your faith. I was always the pain-in-the-butt demanding proof and bombarding with questions all the time, and I think it's really slowed me down in some ways. Now that I've been indulged enough times and given enough proof, I'm working on trying to relax and let myself believe.

Comment

Sometimes I really hate this thing... I had this lovely post and then it up and disappeared and posted your quote... Ok lets start over. I am by no way offended by you. If I was offended by you for questioning my faith then maybe my faith isn't as strong as I believed? The fundamental blocks of my faith were laid(as you will) by my Nan. She is an extremely devout Christian. Her faith is her everything, her saving grace, and it is unshakable. She is the kind of Christian that I think Jesus hoped for. She does not hate, she does not fear, nor is she threatened by those who do not share the same beliefs she does. I have watched her loose everyone of her earthly possessions (her house burned to the ground) I have been by her side as we thought my Grandfather would die (15 years ago). Through all of her suffering her faith in her savior has never once shaken, in fact it has only gotten stronger.

I have also been blessed with the same sense of faith. Mine is also my everything. It is my light at the end of the tunnel, my strength, my wisdom, my hope, my dreams. My faith has seen me through some very dark times, and been with me through good times. And it has never wavered. I might not understand why things are the way they are but I know eventually it will make sense. Just like my Nan's. Its a feeling that's inside of me that's at my core. I am never alone they are always with me. Some people need more then that, and thats ok but I don't.

I think of it like algebra. I never needed my math teacher to explain why x=this or y=that. It always just made sense. It just did.

One more random thought. I was a Christian at one time, and I converted not because I lost faith in God but because I knew that my God was not that angry, two we as humans are not created to sin and three I have always known there was a Goddess, and there is no room for her in Christianity.
              "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Reason is a tricky word. People make 'reason' out of all kinds of nonsense.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

You are reasonably right, Medusa.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

As many here know due to being quite public about my breakdown, I lost my faith a few years ago and the journey back to faith has been bumpy to say the least. I'm still sorting through my beliefs to be honest. Right now, I'd say some of my beliefs are based on common sense, that is, the conclusions I've come to are the best way I am able to explain to myself why the world is as it is. I wouldn't say it's based on evidence though. Not conclusive evidence at least.

As for deity. I cannot deny the physical and emotional response I experience when I contact my gods or work through a ritual. I react quite emotionally and experience a whole range of sensations. It feels great enough to be worthy of my time and effort, but I would never rule out that it could very well be my own mind creating these feelings. If so, then maybe my 'gods' are really internal (and my theology actually includes an inner god-self anyway, so it wouldn't be too earth-shattering a switch for me). If they are able to comfort me and enhance my experience while I trudge through life, then even as a part of my psychology, they're still worth my time in honouring. One thing I've found is that the more I actively engage with deity, the more a feel their presence in my life, and the more secure I feel.

I guess I've stopped caring about theology so much, and am focused much more on the experience. That's not enough for some people of course. It's a most attractive aspect of human nature to observe a phenomenon and then set about uncovering what is behind that phenomenon. Indeed, we owe much of our advancement as a species to such curiosity. The problem for me is that I have discovered that I'm of a nature that needs some kind of faith in my life. I was a very unhappy and hollow atheist, and I'm a lazy agnostic. It just doesn't work form me psychologically to have no space for magic and wonder. My concern is that if I start asking too many questions again, those very things that pushed me towards atheism in the first place might push me back, and I can't allow myself to become that person again.

I've started seeing things again. Besides a strange phantom cat that followed me around a week ago, it is mainly small irregular shaped patches of colour that I see. I used to call them faeries and talk to them. This time I'm just observing the phenomena without jumping to conclusions about what they are or are not. If there is any point to me seeing these things, surely that will become clear in time. If so, I'll most likely be giving them my own name. If they never appear to be of any benefit to me, then I won't concern myself too much about them. I guess this sums up my general approach these days.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

When it comes to religion, if you focus too much on reason you'll go nutters.
                      For me, faith is a recognition of a pattern and trust that the pattern is recurring.
                      I like how Jembru said she can just observe what's going on without giving a name to it. This is an example of reasonable faith. It's the willingness to be open to possibilities without jumping to conclusions.

Comment

At the risk of being incorrect, I am going to use the term 'truth', in place of your term 'reason'.....

I read an article the other day which I thought was very well written and certainly rang true for me. Now, it wasn't the jab it takes to new atheism that I was interested in....it was the underlying theory that really resonated with me....

New Atheism's Fatal Arrogance

That. That is why 'truth' isn't always necessary for an effective spirituality. I like that.
                        Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cesara View Post
                          At the risk of being incorrect, I am going to use the term 'truth', in place of your term 'reason'.....

I read an article the other day which I thought was very well written and certainly rang true for me. Now, it wasn't the jab it takes to new atheism that I was interested in....it was the underlying theory that really resonated with me....

New Atheism's Fatal Arrogance

That. That is why 'truth' isn't always necessary for an effective spirituality. I like that.
                          This is getting its own page in my journal. It's a concept I could definitely do with considering.
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by cesara View Post

That is why 'truth' isn't always necessary for an effective spirituality. I like that.
                            would ask her directly, she would tell you that they are not real, but that real does not matter, because it is their story that is importantmy sacrifice, my symbol of my
                            more. While myths can be rooted in factual events or completely made up (but often believed to be true), they embody a truth that deeper and more meaningful that a literal truth could be, becausepeople just a myth.

Also, this.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Reason is, ultimately, and act of faith.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Working...
                              X