This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When they told me to lose myself...

...I don't think they meant to quite this extent.
    This is going to be a longwinded post to say the least, but it's been so long since I've had anyone to talk to, or seek guidance or new perspectives from. I accept that that's no ones fault except my own, and I've decided it's time to crawl out of my shadowy corner once more.

In the past 2 years, I've experienced a breaking down of nearly everything I believe. I've been called towards paganism since I was a child, and started down my path when I was 19. But i was always filled with so much doubt and fear, that I never could grow very much. Even simple meditation seemed too difficult a feat for me. I suppose all the internalizing I did when I was a child kept me from believing that I could ever become more than what I was, though I didn't see it then. The only constant through that was my patron deity, the one I call Father and who's always stayed with me in some way or another, no matter what happened.

When I found myself pregnant after what amounted to no more than a delusional tryst with someone I thought I loved, I felt the world truly turning dark and cold. It finally came to me willingly putting myself in a 96 hold to keep myself from doing something horrible, something I'm still ashamed of ever considering. But I pulled though, at least in the sense that I was no longer a threat to myself and the baby.
    I thought i had finally found friends, but they turned out to be two faced, helping me only to feel good about themselves. It took that falling down around me to truly realize how broken I had become, to truly realize how far from my path I had strayed. I had truly lost myself...but now, how do I find myself again?

I'm tired of being alone, of trying to feel my way along in the dark only to bang up against the same walls over and over again. I need help, I need guidance. I need a new perspective. I no longer trust my instincts, and after reading through this forum and seeing the diversity and intelligence here, I've decided that maybe reaching out is the best course of action. Now, more than ever, I need a path, I need a foundation. I need advice, fellowship, people to point in a direction that might help me. I'd love to hear similar experiences, and how you overcame them. I'd love to know about practices, resources, books, anything that might help me build a foundation to grow upon.

The only things I'm even moderately sure of are that I'm drawn to the Egyptian pantheon most strongly, but I also feel a pull towards Japanese, Celtic and Native American folklore. What I have studied, I didn't absorb enough to hold on to. I'm restarting, a mostly blank, if crumpled, page. So please, if anyone can help, I'd be very grateful. I'm open to any and all advice, willing to learn and try. While I still struggle with fear, I'm not afraid of meandering and backtracking if something doesn't feel right. I'm ready to start a new journey.

Re: When they told me to lose myself...

First off, welcome to PF, fellow Virginian!

Secondly, I'm sorry that experiences that have led you here have been heartrending and traumatic. I can only hope that whatever path you take is healing.

Third...to address the the crux of your post:

You might find some guidance in the Newbie Guide/101 thread, but if you are the sort of person that likes more structure, I really recommend looking into the ADF's Dedicant Year program--the nice thing about the ADF is that it is multi-pathed in terms of inspiration and scholarship. You can do the Dedicant year without being a member of ADF (though if you look into ADF and like it, I recommend taking very good notes and joining if you are able, because it would suck to have to do it again!), nearly all of the materials are available online, though you'd have to pay for them (where access would be free if you joined, I think all the books are available via kindle unlimited too if you are a subscriber). The main workbook that breaks the year's study down is this one, and then (if I remember correctly) the other books that are used throughout the program are these guys 1, 2, and 3 (and maybe one other that I forget...), and a number of web resources (unfortunately, a few of them are in the member's only section of the ADF's website, but with a little googling you can usually find enough info to figure it out and in the one or two spots where you can't, it doesn't detract from the experience).

(And lest one thinks I sound like a convert or a spokesperson here, I'm not a member of the ADF!)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X