This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choosing a pathway

Not really new to paganism, I dabbled with Wicca in my teens, before falling into fundamentalist Christianity, which at the time seemed to have all the answers. Ended up in a very extreme cultish group which encouraged male dominance and copious child-bearing. I escaped with my life and some of my health, but it's been a rocky road. I still have moderate Christian relationships, particularly with my husband who was as happy as I was to leave 'patriarchy'. He is a steady rock in my life, supporting me as I branch out and try and forge a new path for myself.

So, I'm exploring again, and feel like a little kid with a whole platter to choose from, instead of a plate with one limp cheese sandwich on it. I don't know where to start, though. I guess because there is so much, and the clamour of voices is hard to discern. If you were me (which I know you're not) what would you start with? I'm not asking to be 'converted' and given the answer, but more the advice on how to seek and how to trust the answers that come.

Re: Choosing a pathway

Read everything, just don't trust everything. Also, don't rely on religious texts for historical information. If Christian pundits and New Age writers have anything in common, it's a certain artistic license with history.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

There's absolutely no need to "choose a path" at the very onset. Realistically, paths change, develop, and evolve as time goes on and you experience new things. Humans grow, change, and find new meanings to the same things.

Just read what interests you and see where it takes you.

Comment

Thank you both for your excellent wisdom.

Comment

It seems to me that you don't like Frost Giants. Well, to be honest, neither do we. You can look up Heathenism for fun, but I'll never try to directly convert someone on this site. If you'd like to learn more, here's a link that summarizes what we believe in, and some small informational articles about our Gods. Safe travels friend. http://www.religioustolerance.org/asatru.htm
          "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
          And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
          They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
          The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
          - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Working...
          X