Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn?

So, I admit that videos about "mysterious" things spike my interest. I also really like Secret Societies. I don't believe the whole "Illuminati" and "New World Order" BS but I'm naturally curious.

Now, one of said videos didn't say much because it's one of those Top 10 videos. It said that the society listed in the title with a horribly long name, was involved in the -and I quote- "Occult", "Metaphysics", and "the Paranormal". That's fine or whatever, but it said that it led to the founding of Wicca.

Now, the Wiccan over here sitting on her bed wasn't sure whether or not to be annoyed. She wrote a comment saying how she'd never heard of this so-called "Founder".

Has anyone ever heard of this lovely load of BS?
    A Happy Little Wiccan

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Re: Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn?

The Golden Dawn has been around in various guises for some time now. It's possible that they influenced Gerald Gardner. Wiccan ritual structure borrows elements from their's if memory serves and they predate Gardner by more than 50 years. With that said, I don't believe Gardner was a member and while he may have been influenced by the Golden Dawn, there is a difference between having a founder influenced by an organization and being founded by an organization.

I should note that while I'm moderately familiar with Wicca's history and various Ceremonial orders, I am far from a subject matter expert regardinv them. If someone with more detailed knowledge contradicts me then I'll probably bow to their expertise.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Ermm.....it's not BS. *ducks*

Gerald Gardner was friends with an aging Crowley, who was a Golden Dawn member and many believe there is obvious evidence that some of the Wiccan rituals have GD influence.

See #10: http://ac2012.com/2012/08/05/aleiste...actually-true/

Okay, so, technically, Crowley isn't the HOGD in and of himself, but he was a member during the time he knew Gardner, and he influenced much of the HOGD, as well.

Even the Wiccan Rede is said to be based on a snippet from Crowley's Book of the Law: "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law." then, "Love is the law. Love under will." (of course, if you look hard enough, you will see that Crowley actually got that from St. Augustine, who said: "Once for all, then, a short precept is given thee: Love, and do what thou wilt...")

Doreen Valiente is also said to have been heavily influenced by the GD: http://www.thewica.co.uk/DV%20and%20the%20GD.htm

- - - Updated - - -

...and, I'm sorry, yes. MaskedOne is right....this only shows that Wicca was influenced by the HOGD, not that it came from the HOGD!
      Last edited by cesara; 21 May 2015, 17:16.
      Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

As a former wiccan myself, I remember it being pretty common knowledge that our practice was influenced by these secret societies. I was told that the original secret society that wicca branched from was formed in the West Country in rebellion of societies like free missionary because they denied access to females and other members of society for various reasons. Gardner simply expanded the idea and formalised the rituals. I'm not sure how true this is, but it's an idea that was continued in The Triumph of the Moon*. If your coven hasn't forced it on you already, then you might want to take a look at the book. I'll be honest though, I'm not interested in history so things like names and dates tend to evaporate out of my mind, so I don't remember much from the book. I remember coming away with a much better appreciation of where wicca most likely came from.

*Triumph.. I'd written 'rising'. That's a book btw. ^^
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Jembru,

I'm solitary practitioner who never had the means to buy all of these books. I mostly had to learn online when I was starting out, so I've never heard of this "The Triumph of the Moon" and I've never, in all of my research, heard of this Secret Society.
          A Happy Little Wiccan

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Serria View Post
            Jembru,

I'm solitary practitioner who never had the means to buy all of these books. I mostly had to learn online when I was starting out, so I've never heard of this "The Triumph of the Moon" and I've never, in all of my research, heard of this Secret Society.
            You've never heard of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn?
            Word.
            It's like the McDonald's of the occult world.
            I'm a LaVeyan Satanist. Crowely influenced our founder Anton LaVey.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Serria View Post
              Jembru,

Ah, that was left over biased from my wiccan days still holding onto the old 'wiccans belong to covens' idea. I have no excuse either, because I'm massively influenced by Anderson Feri and some of their practictioners (but by no means the majority), call their practice wicca. I also spent several years as a solitary wiccan. So I know they exist!

Are you familiar with the website 'wicca for the rest of us'? I'm on my phone so can't link, but you might find the site useful in filling in some of the blanks in your research. Assuming you care for such things that is.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

The Golden Dawn also influenced Dion Fortune who has had a significant influence upon the occult / pagan world to include later aspect of Wicca. I suppose one could also add Madme Helena Petrovna Blavatsky (Theosophical Society) and her book Secret Doctine, among many she wrote, as that had a major influence upon many occultist / pagan practice that were influencing Gardner and others. Especially in the sense of Root Races and civilians before the dawn of time.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  Are you familiar with the website 'wicca for the rest of us'? I'm on my phone so can't link, but you might find the site useful in filling in some of the blanks in your research. Assuming you care for such things that is.
                  I am. the author of the site rehashed some information particularly on $ilver Ravenwolf and Fiona Horne. while these are authors not exactly should be on the recommended book list. they are dated. Horne hasn't been relevant for about 5-10 years. other than that it is a good place to start.

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Good With Kethup.

Comment

William Butler Yates was a member of The Golden Dawn. Crowley screwed him out of the leadership position.

Too bad...

Yates would have been better...

So was Arthur Machen (The Great God Pan, The Shining Pyramid, etc.).
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                      William Butler Yates was a member of The Golden Dawn. Crowley screwed him out of the leadership position.

Too bad...

Yates would have been better...

So was Arthur Machen (The Great God Pan, The Shining Pyramid, etc.).
                      I love w.b. yeats! I never took an interest in the golden dawn before, though I've heard them mentioned quite often. but when I learned that one of my fave poets was in it, it sparked my curiousity. I'm planning on reading some crowley... as soon as I get vacation. Any suggestions on where to start?
                      You remind me of the babe
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

LOL - I confess, I'm not a Crowley fan. But... You might want to read James Stephens, a contemporary of Yates, who had some thoughts about Yates' magical experiments - expressed in The Demi-Gods.

(English nerd alert!)

P.S. The Dublin Temple of the Golden Dawn has his magical regalia and tools on display.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                          LOL - I confess, I'm not a Crowley fan. But... You might want to read James Stephens, a contemporary of Yates, who had some thoughts about Yates' magical experiments - expressed in The Demi-Gods.

(English nerd alert!)

P.S. The Dublin Temple of the Golden Dawn has his magical regalia and tools on display.
                          From what little I know of crowley I never really cared for him either, so I'll start with james stephens instead. Thanks and I don't mind going nerdy, I do study english after all
                          You remind me of the babe
                          What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I'm honestly a little shocked you hadn't heard about them before. The Golden Dawn was one of the first things I found out about when I researched Wicca's history on the web. The very first thing I did when I was looking into practising Wicca was delve into its history. I also found the "Wicca for the Rest of Us" site fairly early on, too, as a result, since it had a no-nonsense take on the subject. But anyway, the HOGD was an enormous influence on not just Wicca, but the Western esoteric revival in general.

Comment

Working...
                            X