free speech vs. political correctness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: free speech vs. political correctness

Eh Thal said the stuff I was thinking... I need a bloody trigger warning for trigger warnings.... They WILL piss me off...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I am of the opinion that anything that needs to be said can be said with kindness, and this is something I have tried to teach my children; however, I do not think it can be achieved through overt coercion. It has been my observation in this life that all power exerted by one entity over another is ultimately coercive, and also that as that coercion becomes more overt the effectiveness of control weakens. It is something of a paradox, but people are complicated. Schools, at all levels, have moved away from education and toward conditioning. It is a huge and horrifying difference, imo.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
        Schools, at all levels, have moved away from education and toward conditioning. It is a huge and horrifying difference, imo.
        To put this in the context of the article, do you mean that withdrawing the invitation to speakers with a minority position is conditioning, or that inviting the speakers in the first place is conditioning?

Or are they both?
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          To put this in the context of the article, do you mean that withdrawing the invitation to speakers with a minority position is conditioning, or that inviting the speakers in the first place is conditioning?

Or are they both?
          Disinviting speakers, though I was speaking more broadly than that. Education should be an invitation to think, and training young people how to evaluate information. By the time a child gets to college they should be able to do a basic meta-analysis, they should have the tools to ask the right questions, but this is not what is happening for most students. Instead, education as I have experienced it through my children is mostly an exercise in teaching what to think rather than how to think, and then, naturally, ideas that should not be dangerous can become dangerous when students are conditioned to absorb and regurgitate rather than evaluate. This makes information management important, and takes political correctness, which I believe began as a sincere effort to make a kinder gentler world, into the realm of outright censorship. Regardless of the speaker or situation, decisions to exclude ideas are likely fear-based. Not a good foundation for future leaders.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I agree with you.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Can I get a trigger warning for sadness? Feeling sad makes me sad.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Working...
              X