cat acting strangely....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cat acting strangely....

okay, this is a little weird. my cat usually meows a lot when he's hungry, that's normal, and he usually jumps on the table and rubs himself all over my stuff, too. but just now, he jumped onto the table and it was like he glared at me. he was in a fighting position, like he was ready to attack. as if there was a predator around, but there wasn't. just me. he hissed at me angrily. I got up to give him food, cause I figured maybe he's just really hungry. (this cat is always hungry. food will distract him from ANYTHING.) in between me standing up and me pouring the food, he hissed two more times, and never left the defensive position. so I poured the food, and usually he just runs straight for it, but this time he approached it slowly. he took a couple bites, then stopped to hiss at me again, so I backed off slowly. he just kept staring at me. I pointed out to him that he had food in his bowl, and he took a couple more bites of it again, but then like... every time I moved, he would just sit there and watch me, again with the glarey-face. he meowed a couple times in there too, but they didn't sound like his normal meows....

if there are any cat people on here I need your help, what the hell just happened??

Re: cat acting strangely....

Have you perhaps been around another animal. Just a thought you might have a scent of another animal or something. Generally cats do not react this way with a person they are close to.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

other than the dog, no. but we've had the dog for years. he and the cat are fine with each other. we've had the cat for years too

Comment

Could be he got stung by something. It's the time of year for wasps and such, maybe it was somewhere you wouldn't notice. That can bug a cat. Has anything in your environment changed? New people? New schedule? Anything can put a cat on edge.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

my mom just got home, and she suggested maybe it's my haircut? I got a haircut today that makes me look pretty different than I used to. also, maybe the shampoo that the hairdresser used makes me smell different?

Comment

Could be any number of things. It really depends on the cat and how they perceive the change.
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

How long have you had the cat? My cat does this almost routinely every morning and she's just playing/displaying normal behaviour. Usually it is right after she's used her litter tray. Then she arches her back and pronks around the flat pretending that everything that moves, or doesn't move, is a threat. Her eyes are massive when she does this, like huge dilated pupils. She has those eyes when she's hunting me too, which is usually around the same time she's in this mood, and it always makes me laugh because she looks so silly.

So it may just be that your cat was experiencing one of these 'mad half hours' but you just hadn't witnessed it before.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and she makes a noise when she does this that is like no other vocalisation she makes. She's usually quite quiet though and rarely 'speaks' when we're feeding her. She just rubs and purs.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

One point..Its a cat...Cats do what cats do...never question the wisdom of the feline masters...(Yes your purrness,you are the meowiest)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

we've had him since 2006... it's a little odd that I've never seen him do it before. he's hissed at me before, but never like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  One point..Its a cat...Cats do what cats do...never question the wisdom of the feline masters...(Yes your purrness,you are the meowiest)
                  good point. in ancient Egypt cats were worshiped as gods. cats have never forgotten this.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
                    okay, this is a little weird. my cat usually meows a lot when he's hungry, that's normal, and he usually jumps on the table and rubs himself all over my stuff, too. but just now, he jumped onto the table and it was like he glared at me. he was in a fighting position, like he was ready to attack. as if there was a predator around, but there wasn't. just me. he hissed at me angrily. I got up to give him food, cause I figured maybe he's just really hungry. (this cat is always hungry. food will distract him from ANYTHING.) in between me standing up and me pouring the food, he hissed two more times, and never left the defensive position. so I poured the food, and usually he just runs straight for it, but this time he approached it slowly. he took a couple bites, then stopped to hiss at me again, so I backed off slowly. he just kept staring at me. I pointed out to him that he had food in his bowl, and he took a couple more bites of it again, but then like... every time I moved, he would just sit there and watch me, again with the glarey-face. he meowed a couple times in there too, but they didn't sound like his normal meows....

if there are any cat people on here I need your help, what the hell just happened??
                    Cats sense things that we can't even think of. Like Anu said, maybe it was another animal. Or another person's energy (there is such a thing, btw and it was scientifically proven).
                    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
                      my mom just got home, and she suggested maybe it's my haircut? I got a haircut today that makes me look pretty different than I used to. also, maybe the shampoo that the hairdresser used makes me smell different?
                      It might very well be the shampoo. When I take my dogs to the groomer, there is hissing and growling from the cat. And the three grew up together, play together, tease each other and are bonded as one "pack". When I bring the dogs home from the vet, same hissing and growling. And of course the dogs have to go investigate if he's ok, which only makes matters worse. Eventually it settles down, within about an hour or so. Some times they also get bored with their food and will get pissy. My female dog is doing that now, though the dogs are as gentle as lambs (Shih tzus). I have to coax her to eat and changed the food. She's still suspicious but she eats. If he's otherwise acting normal, I'd say he's just being cranky. If he's not acting otherwise normally, a call to the vet is in order.
                      śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                      śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

he seems fine with me now. I guess he just got spooked by something yesterday

thanks for all your help!

Comment

Cats are supposed to be very sensitive to spiritual things(good or bad) if a cat is acting up like that it might be they sensed something.(Just my take,I am a bit empathic with felines)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            Cats are supposed to be very sensitive to spiritual things(good or bad) if a cat is acting up like that it might be they sensed something.(Just my take,I am a bit empathic with felines)
                            Yes, that is very very true.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Animals can do this with strange smells, sounds, people, etc. (Spirit/thing or not)

Something or someone could have been there as well, or they caught a wiff of something. Anger or uneasiness doesn't mean that it would be a bad thing either but something along the lines of "STRANGE THING WHAT IS THAT". Cat's also have really weird sight, they see things differently than we do. Like object distance and colors. That's why they'll stare at something or someone a while. Judging distance and identity.
                              My cat takes a minute to make sure his water is in the bowel, tests it with his paws, then drinks. Or if someone tries to pet him and he sees them he's like, "WOAH IS THAT A HA- yeah it's a hand. Ok pet me human."

Supernatural or not (probably not), your pet couldn't quite make out what it was seeing and smelling so it's reaction was, "AHHHHH".
                              Maybe it liked your hair and was saying, "YOU LOOK SO METAL, FRIEND! YELL WITH ME!" ;P
                              I hope I'm making sense >///<

Comment

Working...
                              X