Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The True Meaning Of Paganism (News Article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The True Meaning Of Paganism (News Article)

The word "paganism" has come to refer to various pre-Christian religions belonging to a number of ancient cultures—those from Greece, Rome, Egypt, Scandinavia, and so on.

Found this interesting, especially in view of how many Pagans strive to be included under the "Big Umbrella"...
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Re: The True Meaning Of Paganism (News Article)

The term itself stems from the Latin paganus translated loosely along the lines of "country dweller" or "rustic"; thus it was initially a word describing a person of locality rather than a religion

You know...I see this everywhere (even said it a few times) and have found some interesting commentary (doing lots of reading on Roman history) that its pretty much a vast oversimplification on a more nuanced concept and that the word actually was used to mean "civilian"...

...sorry, I'm burnt and tired and distracted, lol...its the only thing that lodged in my head at the moment...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Times don't seem to change much. Anyone nowadays who isn't a christian gets labeled as a "devil worshiper."

Comment

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
        Times don't seem to change much. Anyone nowadays who isn't a christian gets labeled as a "devil worshiper."
        That's because they are, Tox! After all, there's only God and the Devil. :sarcasm:

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
          That's because they are, Tox! After all, there's only God and the Devil. :sarcasm:
          This denies the divinity of Pizza and the existence of Eldritch Horrors. I may have to chat with heretics.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Its interesting how most religions in the West find it difficult to co-exist. Many sects of Christians cannot seem to coexist very well, hence the necessity of separating church and state. Its just an argument that we should be accepting of all faith, except for faith that truly promotes hatred or truly intends to deprive adherents of free will.

For too long religion and spirituality have been used by the powerful to oppress others and create a herd mentality. Its now time to take them back, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
            X