This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sleeping problems, any advice?

I am I guess one of those weird people who can sleep through most anything. I have never had a hard time falling asleep. People always said I could sleep through anything,but truthfully I am a light sleeper,try sneaking up on me,and lights out for you. Might have gotten that way in the service.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I take a long time to fall asleep, and I'm a light sleeper. But once I've fallen asleep, even if I wake up, I'll go right back to sleep. Until morning. If I get woken up after 4, then I'm up. And that's annoying.
      She is like a cat in the dark and then she is the darkness. ~~(=^._.^)

I got my war paint on and I'm off to go passive-aggressive all over these socially awkward man-witches. :XD:

Comment

How have I never posted here? Sleep is something I take very seriously. I work nights and there are a lot of health risks related to unusual shifts (although any long-term erratic sleep pattern can lead to similar problems, so it's not exclusively shift workers who need to take care of their sleep). Here's a photo of all the aids I use to help me to sleep during the day (I also have black out curtains of course, but some light comes in around the tops, and under the bedroom door, so I also wear an eye mask)...

http://uk.businessinsider.com/what-s...ed-2015-2?op=1 It most likely depends on the individual. In my case, I read outloud in Japanese before sleep, because this seems to help with developing motor memory. I drill the same 3 or 4 sentences over and over until the light on the clock is too dim to read by. Then I say the sentences from memory until it's dark. It stops me from thinking of other things that might keep me awake, and as it's repetitive, it's a bit like counting sheep I guess. It doesn't seem to interfere with my sleep at all, but it is part of my routine now, so I think doing this lets my brain know we'll be sleeping soon.

Oh and I also make use of a room spray. I always use the same one so that the room smells like bedtime! I put lavender oil on my pillow too. I try not to use sleeping pills if I can help it, but I do have some, just for emergencies. I probably reach for those once every couple of months, and usually when I've been doing a lot of overtime or my neighbours have been banging about for days on end.

Finally, I'm personally not in favour of setting the alarm for the same time every day. I guess I can see how this could benefit someone who needs to train themselves to wake at specific times, but I hate waking to an alarm. Of course I set them, because life doesn't work around our own personal time table, but being jarred out of deep sleep is really bad for me and I can feel sleepy for hours after getting up. If I wake naturally, when my body has had enough rest regardless of whether that's an hour earlier or later than 'usual', I fell wide awake and don't want to snooze in bed. I know there are alarms now that only wake you when you're in the light sleep part of your cycle, so I'd probably give that a try if I had no choice but to wake by a specific time.

Honestly, I could go on and on about my sleep routine as it's something very important to me.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I will say I have NEVER been able to sleep during the day when I was working a graveyard shift. I had to quit that job,because sleeping became a problem.
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            I will say I have NEVER been able to sleep during the day when I was working a graveyard shift. I had to quit that job,because sleeping became a problem.
            It's definitely not for everyone. I know of only one other person who is a genuine night owl; the other girl who does the waking nights at my place. I think even if you are a night owl (characterised by being at your peak late in the evening, and struggling with mornings), it's very hard to do night shifts if you have conflicting demands such as a family, or if you're constantly switching from day shift to night shift. It also seems that a lot of people try to stay awake for a whole day after their last shift, so they sleep at night. Apparently sleep dept is a myth (a colleague told me he was told that while serving in the military), but I've read, or seen on tv, enough studies into the affects of too few hours of sleep over a prolonged period, to not want to risk such a drastic tactic, even if that extra day of free time does sound tempting!
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
            X