Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legalization of Psychedelics for Religious Practices

Hail,
    I have been thinking highly on this topic for the last couple of months. If you live in the United States, and elsewhere if you've studied American History, you will know that we have The Bill Of Rights. Our first Amendment right is Freedom Of Religion.
    Now, with that being said, I know there are many other religions who have used Psychedelics such as the sacred mushrooms, and other plants. Now, I've had my fair share of shamanic trips, and have never hurt anyone, nor myself during these travels. I find psychedelics in careful dosages are safe. There are many studies done on the effects of the brain, but many of these contradict each other, and have an air of scare tactics involved.
    The Norse have been concluded by a good majority of scholars to have ingested mushrooms in religious scenarios, and before battle to establish Berserker rage. Many of our shamans ingested mushrooms to invoke astral projections, as well as meditations and prophetic trances.
    Is it not in my rights to use mushrooms to freely practice as my ancestors have? Or is it better for the "safety of the good people" to keep psychedelics outlawed. Discuss.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Legalization of Psychedelics for Religious Practices

There are legal religious drugs,for native American religious use. Interesting thing is this "Law" exception is where the whole "persecution" of Christian religious practice comes from. The whole I don't want to make a GAY cake,right to say no way is based on this exemption by Native Americans to use banned drugs for religious purposes.

This is what I read from the religious anti have to serve gays and stuff groups. Right to follow religious belief even if it is discrimination under federal law.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

In that scenario, there is not protection for homosexuals under any American law. It is not even considered a Hate crime to attack a man for being gay, and just that reason. But what does this law say for the Native Americans?
      "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
      And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
      They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
      The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
      - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

It allows Native Americans to use certain "Banned" drugs in their religious practice.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I've used a lot of drugs in parts of my personal quest, but I've quit using them for that purpose - hallucinogens are too "speedy" for me. Even mild ones like 'shrooms keep me from sleeping for two days, despite desperately wanting to.

Also, I have found that when one relies on am external source, one quickly becomes dependent on that source, that source starts being increasingly less effective, and it becomes increasingly difficult to advance without using the external source - which no longer works well.

And, finally, the "noise" (the things going on other than the thing you are pursuing) is so distracting that achieving an effective mental state is more chance than knowledge.

However, others may find that they have different experiences.

Regarding the Berserker/mushroom hypothesis - it doesn't hold up. The usual mushroom implicated is the Aminita muscaria - the Santa Mushroom (because of one of the stranger theories about the past history of these red & white fellows).

However, this is highly unlikely. These are not something a warrior would ingest before battle. The effects are first, disorientation/confusion - not a good tool-using condition. Second stage, delirium, like that which comes with a high fever, and about as much physical activity as one has with a high fever - again, not a good state to be in while fighting. And third, a profound slumber that lasts many hours - again, nodding off while in battle is very counterproductive.

Evidence for Norse use of these mushrooms is highly speculative, based on their use by shamans of Lapland. Evidence for use of psilocybin-containing mushrooms is non-existent.

The "many scholars" mentioned have a tendency to be mushroom fanatic followers of Wasson.

I think this is a case of people looking for what they'd like to find, and finding it where it isn't.

Regarding legalization - on that I think we can agree. Outlawing drugs turns people into criminals when they haven't done anything that can rightly be described as "criminal."
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm all for it. If psychedelics can be used to help me communicate with my deities, then why not?
            When used responsibly, that is. I know quite a few people, myself included, who have used them and gotten into some weird schtuff.
            (user formerly known as beckly_freckly)

You are a little soul carrying around a corpse.

Comment

I don't like losing control in my rituals - so that means no drugs or alcohol. Yes, they seem to help, but nothing beats slow steady work and practice.
              The problem - and Corbin has expressed it very well here - is that in the end the 'extras' become an end in their own right, rather than a means to an end.

Besides, external stuff only makes us think something is happening - witness the number of people who think they can sing when they're blootered.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Religious rights aside, I'm not too keen on the criminalization of drugs in general. It seems to be a system that hits the poor the hardest. Resources would be better spent on good, safe public housing, food programs, and welfare payments.

Personally, I don't use drugs in my practice. I'm not keen on using drugs in general, but I feel they cloud my judgement and focus too much when I try to practice. Even alcohol is usually too much.

Comment

Although I don't use them much (I don't even drink), I see no benefit from them being banned. All that's stemmed from it is people starting fights and getting killed smuggling them in, and if something goes wrong people are too afraid to go to the hospital for fear of getting arrested. It's... unnecessary and stupid. It harms more than it protects.
                  My Divination Shop

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                    I've used a lot of drugs in parts of my personal quest, but I've quit using them for that purpose - hallucinogens are too "speedy" for me. Even mild ones like 'shrooms keep me from sleeping for two days, despite desperately wanting to.

Also, I have found that when one relies on am external source, one quickly becomes dependent on that source, that source starts being increasingly less effective, and it becomes increasingly difficult to advance without using the external source - which no longer works well.

And, finally, the "noise" (the things going on other than the thing you are pursuing) is so distracting that achieving an effective mental state is more chance than knowledge.

However, others may find that they have different experiences.

Regarding the Berserker/mushroom hypothesis - it doesn't hold up. The usual mushroom implicated is the Aminita muscaria - the Santa Mushroom (because of one of the stranger theories about the past history of these red & white fellows).

However, this is highly unlikely. These are not something a warrior would ingest before battle. The effects are first, disorientation/confusion - not a good tool-using condition. Second stage, delirium, like that which comes with a high fever, and about as much physical activity as one has with a high fever - again, not a good state to be in while fighting. And third, a profound slumber that lasts many hours - again, nodding off while in battle is very counterproductive.

Evidence for Norse use of these mushrooms is highly speculative, based on their use by shamans of Lapland. Evidence for use of psilocybin-containing mushrooms is non-existent.

The "many scholars" mentioned have a tendency to be mushroom fanatic followers of Wasson.

I think this is a case of people looking for what they'd like to find, and finding it where it isn't.

Regarding legalization - on that I think we can agree. Outlawing drugs turns people into criminals when they haven't done anything that can rightly be described as "criminal."
                    The Zulu at The Battle of Isandlwana are now though to have been high on something but one documentary on the preparations for the battle suggested it is a refined mushroom but its also countered by a number of other substances that raised aggression, awareness, heart and breathing rates. In many ways the tested results and drugs producing a true "seeing red" distortion that lasted for upwards of 24 - 36 hours before wearing off.

I'd also add seldom do we see how or when a battle went down. Figure Isandlwana occurred beneath an eclipse where the landscape was already surreal for the combatants. Shadowed, foggy and smoky from powder and depth perception shot to heck due to the twilight like conditions.

Regarding drugs in general I find I don't have control over my journey or experiences which detracts from it for me. So in that regard I tend not to use them and can reach altered states via other methods that achieve the same results.

Legality wise I think part of it arises from the notion of what is a drug and the extreme differences that are to be found between plants even when raised in the same bed. Not counting what people cut it with or add to it that seldom is actually part of the plant in question or quality of material.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                    X