An indoor horgr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An indoor horgr?

I am thinking of filling a small container with soil from my property, adding a few small stones in a pile and bringing it indoors to use when I pour a libation... opening a beer, a horn of mead, etc. I would pour it into a bowl on the altar as usual and leave it for a bit, but instead of going outdoors, I'd bring the outdoors in to pour it out.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: An indoor horgr?

That is quite the idea. I would say add something living inside your pot of significance to the God you are offering to. Whether this would kill the plant or not, I cannot say. I have onions growing on Thor's altar that have survived quite well when I offered wine.
    Otherwise, I do like this idea. I may have to steal it
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

I thought about scooping some grass along with the soil. The idea of this is for offering back to the gods, spirits and ancestors. "From the gods to the earth to us. From us to the earth to the gods. A gift for a gift. Hail!"

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, I have an onion on the kitchen counter that has sprouted to the point I can't cook with it. I don't know if I should put it in the mouth of a jar to let the roots go into the water. It might rot if I put it in soil now.

Comment

This should make your Husvaetter happy, but in the long run, your Landvaetter will likely be less happy. Balance in all things.
        I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
        Clan of my Clan
        Kin of my Kin
        Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
        And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I would still put food offerings outdoors for the landvaettir. It's really a silly reason for not bringing liquid offerings outdoors... I always slosh it as I'm going out the door. I was thinking that after a few times of using the indoor horgr I would "refresh" it, that is, bring the soil outdoors again and replace it in the bowl for indoors. Would that be OK with them?

Comment

Well, I can't speak for them but it sounds reasonable to me.
            I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
            Clan of my Clan
            Kin of my Kin
            Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
            And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Refreshing it, bringing the offering dirt back to the earth does seem reasonable to me as well.
              "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
              And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
              They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
              The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
              - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                Well, I can't speak for them but it sounds reasonable to me.
                OK, thanks. That's what I meant, reasonable and balanced.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                Refreshing it, bringing the offering dirt back to the earth does seem reasonable to me as well.
                Thanks, I thought as much.

Comment

Working...
                X