We are the root of all evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are the root of all evil

University of Minnesota Study on American Attitudes Towards Atheists & Atheism:
    Research Finds that Atheists are Most Despised, Most Distrusted Minority

Relax youse guys! We're just the "not" people...

We're not telling you what to do, we're not telling you what to think, we're not not telling you how to spend your time, we're not telling you what your sex should be, we're not claiming to have special knowledge...

It's the "are" people you want to watch out for, IMHO.

Every single study that has ever looked at the issue has revealed massive amounts of bigotry and prejudice against atheists in America. The most recent data shows that atheists are more distrusted and despised than any other minority and that an atheist is the least likely person that Americans would vote for in a presidential election. It's not just that atheists are hated, though, but also that atheists seem to represent everything about modernity which Americans dislike or fear.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: We are the root of all evil

Well...I certainly would never vote for Richard Dawkins (were he a natural born American).

But I'd totally vote for NdGT.

I'm going to make t-shirts.

Seriously though, I think some of it comes down to PR. Atheists have some bad spokespeople. Unfortunately, because of *the human factor* when you espouse something that is the antithesis of what a large number of people can even fathom, you have to have really, really good PR (like Mormons--look at how long it took them to get good press). I wonder what would have happened if they'd had other religions in there, that *didn't* believe in the same god.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

People just be jelly I don't have guilt and spend my every waking moment pondering what's a sin. what's ok to do, how can I get out of the loop hole of this religious rule. That I don't fight against who I really am. That I don't do things I don't fully believe or understand but hey, this book says to do it, so yeah. I'm going to do it. That i don't hate you for being different. That I have sex for whatever reason I want and whenever I want and with whoever I want. That I like myself. That I don't want or feel the need to change to be better so that I can get into some special place when I die. That I don't live in fear. That I am fucking free.
      yeah. That's why we are hated.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        People just be jelly I don't have guilt and spend my every waking moment pondering what's a sin. what's ok to do, how can I get out of the loop hole of this religious rule. That I don't fight against who I really am. That I don't do things I don't fully believe or understand but hey, this book says to do it, so yeah. I'm going to do it. That i don't hate you for being different. That I have sex for whatever reason I want and whenever I want and with whoever I want. That I like myself. That I don't want or feel the need to change to be better so that I can get into some special place when I die. That I don't live in fear. That I am fucking free.
        yeah. That's why we are hated.
        Yeah, but I can say that too, and I'm not an atheist.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Atheists have some bad spokespeople.
        And yes, so does *every religion*...but its easier to dismiss something as an abberation when your experience of it is different.
        “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
        ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
        ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but I can say that too, and I'm not an atheist.

And yes, so does *every religion*...but its easier to dismiss something as an abberation when your experience of it is different.
          Well if it makes you feel any better...they all hate you too

Comment

They(others) are just angry that YOU do not really care what they believe(I mean why be a believer if no one is gonna praise you for being one)

I think a bit like the Duce,I like pleasure,it brings a smile to my face..chocolate ice cream is NOT a sin people,it is very tasty is all, I have really seen people get all upset when they ate ice cream because they "Sinned" by giving into temptation. I have never understood that mindset,that feeling good is a bad thing... Maybe gaining weight might make me eat ice cream a little less,but that's the only reason
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Hmm. So Satan could be punishing me with the Diabetus. I'm going to have to have a sit down chat with that fellow.

Comment

I think if we wore some kind of headgear we'd be more accepted.

Look at the Jewish people with their skullcaps, the Catholic schoolgirls with their head doilies, the Sikhs with their turbans, Muslims get fezzes (talk about cool city!) and scarfs, Rastas get knit bags...

I vote Bogart fedoras for the men, and Jackie O pillboxes for the women.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

im up for headgear. Can I go with a Darth Vadar headpiece? I would sound awesome at work.

(breathes heavy) NEXT!

Comment

Bogart hats....Hmmmm,I could dig that.....

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking.....pork pie hats maybe..

Or is that to hipster kinda??

- - - Updated - - -

Think Breaking bad guy wore them
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

im up for headgear. Can I go with a Darth Vadar headpiece? I would sound awesome at work.

(breathes heavy) NEXT!
                      Too hot for Cali, unless that raspy air sound is air conditioning.

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      Thinking.....pork pie hats maybe..

Or is that to hipster kinda??
                      Small Change got rained on widd'is own .38, and nobody flinched down by the arcade...

Comment

I'll get my pork pie and my trilby ready
                        "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
                        And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
                        They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
                        The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
                        - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Well if it makes you feel any better...they all hate you too
                          YAY!!!

They hate me too!!!

Actually, I found it interesting that they only asked about Abrahamic religions AND atheism...like those are the only choices. It doesn't surprise me that it creates an Us vs Them environment. Its unfortunate and disappointing, of course--but unsurprising.

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

YAY!!!

They hate me too!!!

Actually, I found it interesting that they only asked about Abrahamic religions AND atheism...like those are the only choices. It doesn't surprise me that it creates an Us vs Them environment. Its unfortunate and disappointing, of course--but unsurprising.
                            But don't you know those ARE the only choices. Everyone else is delusional and lost, we of course will eventually find the true path . Duce I like to think its not really hate but jealousy. They are jealous that we are so much happier and secure in ourselves.

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            I vote Bogart fedoras for the men, and Jackie O pillboxes for the women.
                            My I get mine in a series of colors??
                            "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              Relax youse guys! We're just the "not" people...

We're not telling you what to do, we're not telling you what to think, we're not not telling you how to spend your time, we're not telling you what your sex should be, we're not claiming to have special knowledge...

It's the "are" people you want to watch out for, IMHO.
                              Well. I spent most of my life as an atheist, the first 27 years, and though I've been a believer in Jehovah God and the Bible for just over 20 years, I would have to say I agree that the "are" people, as you call them are the ones specifically we have to watch out for, I would emphasize that it is the people in general that "are" the problem.

Militant atheists are a minority among the atheists who are a minority themselves. The majority of atheists are not emotionally or politically motivated to project an agenda or in any real way indulge in a conflict with the opposition. They see it as a nonissue. That has been my experience. Militant atheist, on the other hand, I think, would fall victim to the same mindset and oppression of ideas as the religious always have. It's human nature. It isn't the religion, or worse, politics and nationalism, traditions, culture, race or money that divides us, and tears us apart, it is we ourselves.

If you don't believe me go into any atheist forum as a Christian or just watch one be torn apart as if they were in the Lion's Den.

Comment

Working...
                              X