We are the root of all evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We are the root of all evil

I think perhaps I am NOT an atheist,but not what one could call a full tilt religious person(think kind of bathed in the blood of deity or such) I feel that the cosmos contains a bit of special energy,as to if it is sentient or if a god like power rules over existence,All I can really say is,what ever..and hope that what ever is in control(Fate,chance,pure chaos) that at least it has a sense of humor,or at least is not a complete bastard about life in general.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      I think this is probably why we have a good number of atheists...and not many (any?) Atheists.
      That article is good, as far as it goes, but I'd like to add something (which may be peculiar to me, but I don't think so).

When one embarks on a path of spiritual exploration, one ought to expect many changes in view. If not, one is not really on a path, if you see what I mean.

Enter into your heart, or soul, or the spirit world, or whatever it is you enter into, and you, the observer, get to choose how to interpret you experiences.

Following a God-path is one very ancient way of understanding these things. Many religions or God-paths provide the explorer with a rough, but ready made roadmap of what might lie ahead. For some, this is a good choice - although, of course, one may begin with the map, then head out into uncharted territory.

Or, one can toss the map, and strike straight out into the uncharted. And, maybe, decide hunt up a map later.

Another option is to take a path where "the mind" is the object of exploration - the Mind-path. A person who does this can have experiences exactly the same as someone who takes the God-path. There is absolutely no objective way to tell the difference between the two - it is entirely a matter of choice. And one can start here, then move to the God-path if conditions seem to warrant.

For me, personally, it seems that two identical things are the same, despite having different names (if A = B and B = C then A = C).

I choose to be an atheist because it gives me total control of myself, puts full responsibility for my choices on my shoulders, allows me to explore wherever the fancy takes me, and, believe it or not, it keeps me humble (IMHO - frequently when people talk about doing the work of their God it looks to me like they are masquerading as humble while presenting pretentiousness. Not always, but often enough).
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

*I feel like a reason that athiests are so negativley viewed is two reasons:
        One, people can't handle the idea there are people who don't believe in any god. Heck, some people can't even handle people believing in a different god or gods than them. I think to some people it's just a completley outrageous idea. People can't handle the fact there are people who believe this life is all there is and then you rot in the ground. Now, I know that there are different athiest beliefs and some athiests are very spiritual and exetera, but that's the IDEA people have of atheists.

Two, while the atheists on here are all nice and respectful people, not all athiests are like that. Don't get me wrong, I like athiests. Hell my best friend is an atheist. BUT. There are athiests who will constantly attack religious people. I've had athiests randomly comment on my DA profile or on my youtube channel calling me completley delusional, and one guy even told me I should be put in an asylum for believing in gods. And I tried to play the pacifist by telling him athiests and theists could get along, and he said "That's like saying robbers and policemen can "Get along"".
        Now of course, it does work the other way around. Religious people attack atheists just as viciously (Sometimes even worse). But when they do it, they say they're just "practicing their beliefs." (Which is a ridiculous double-standard)

It's so silly. Hated, despised, that's ****. Some of the nicest people I've ever met have been atheists. People need to realize that America is NOT a nation of one religion. We are a nation of all kinds of people, of all religions or none.

People are afraid of those who are different from them. It's stupid, but trust me, it's true.

*I want to note this is my own opinion and I'm sorry if I offend anyone
        Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
          *I feel like a reason that athiests are so negativley viewed is two reasons:
          One, people can't handle the idea there are people who don't believe in any god. Heck, some people can't even handle people believing in a different god or gods than them. I think to some people it's just a completley outrageous idea. People can't handle the fact there are people who believe this life is all there is and then you rot in the ground. Now, I know that there are different athiest beliefs and some athiests are very spiritual and exetera, but that's the IDEA people have of atheists.

Two, while the atheists on here are all nice and respectful people, not all athiests are like that. Don't get me wrong, I like athiests. Hell my best friend is an atheist. BUT. There are athiests who will constantly attack religious people. I've had athiests randomly comment on my DA profile or on my youtube channel calling me completley delusional, and one guy even told me I should be put in an asylum for believing in gods. And I tried to play the pacifist by telling him athiests and theists could get along, and he said "That's like saying robbers and policemen can "Get along"".
          Now of course, it does work the other way around. Religious people attack atheists just as viciously (Sometimes even worse). But when they do it, they say they're just "practicing their beliefs." (Which is a ridiculous double-standard)

It's so silly. Hated, despised, that's ****. Some of the nicest people I've ever met have been atheists. People need to realize that America is NOT a nation of one religion. We are a nation of all kinds of people, of all religions or none.

People are afraid of those who are different from them. It's stupid, but trust me, it's true.

*I want to note this is my own opinion and I'm sorry if I offend anyone
          I don't think you need to apologize for offending anyone, it is just the natural order of things to offend someone.

I have to admit, I am always surprised to hear that atheists are mistreated and disrespected. I was by no means a military atheist, but I never got any shit from anyone about being an atheist and I grew up in the 1970 -1980's in the Bible Belt. Maybe this is an Internet thing? The Internet can be a remarkably cruel place. All of my current family and friends (except for my mother) are atheists and I get more gruff from them than they do from me.

I think that you are right about America (The U.S.A.) though. Right on. Separation of church and state is a must for both sides. There is not, nor has there ever been a Christian nation and Christendom as a whole is a remarkably ugly place. Jesus was no part of the world, and when they wanted to make him a King he fled from them. It was Satan who had authority over all kingdoms of all time and used them to tempt Jesus. Satan is the God of the world, the Bible says, and it also says that all nations, obviously including the U.S.A. will go to war against God. And lose. For American Christians to appoint themselves as moral police of the globe in the name of Christ is an embarrassment.

Comment

CrystalJackal, you are absolutely correct that some atheists are buttheads and bring it upon themselves.

But look at this exchange between Rob Sherman and George W H Bush. This was not based on Bush' prior experience with nasty atheists. This is pure, unadulterated prejudice coming from a man who would become President of the United States:

I asked Mr. Bush, "What are you going to do to win the votes of Americans who are atheists?"

Mr. Bush replied, "I guess I'm pretty weak in the atheist community. Faith in God is important to me."

I followed up: "Do you support the equal citizenship and patriotism of Americans who are atheists?"

Mr. Bush replied, "I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God."

After other reporters asked a few questions about issues that they were concerned about, I was then able to get in one more follow-up question on my subject: "Do you support the constitutionality of state/church separation?"

Vice President Bush responded, "I support separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists."

I wrote up my story and submitted it to my editor to be considered for publication in the magazine. All of the star reporters from the Chicago political press corps were there, along with members of the White House press corps (those who regularly cover the President and Vice President) and other national news reporters, but no other reporter did anything with the story about Mr. Bush's anti-atheist comments.
            Documents at Bush Presidential Library Prove
            VP Bush Questioned Citizenship and Patriotism of Atheists
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Just personal experience here talking. I'm an atheist. I have been on many atheists militant boards, atheists friendly boards, Christian boards (once)open religious interfaith boards, Muslim boards, Marilyn Manson boards, Clark Howard financial adviser radio personality boards, and Satanic militant and friendly boards.

Guess what chicken butt?
              They all have assholes. The end.

Other than the one interfaith board and here, I have found I hate the theists and the atheists quite equally.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Just personal experience here talking. I'm an atheist. I have been on many atheists militant boards, atheists friendly boards, Christian boards (once)open religious interfaith boards, Muslim boards, Marilyn Manson boards, Clark Howard financial adviser radio personality boards, and Satanic militant and friendly boards.

Guess what chicken butt?
                They all have assholes. The end.

Other than the one interfaith board and here, I have found I hate the theists and the atheists quite equally.
                I once - somehow - found myself on a sewing and knitting forum. You know, like one of those searches you do and for some odd reason find yourself in a totally different place you set out to find? Anyway, those little old ladies and housewives were going at each other like nothing I have ever seen. I think if they had been in the same room they would have skewed each other with their knitting needles down to the last grey haired survivor.

I don't mind getting down and dirty in debate, and I'm not prudish or thin skinned when it comes to ad hominem but I think it needs to be a mutual exchange and not to the detriment to anyone not wanting to take part in that sort of thing. I've had some great conversations with both Christian and Atheist who disagreed with me, but were very knowledgeable on the subject of the Bible. We had a mutual respect for one another, even when the discussion became heated and we let emotion get the best of us. Sometimes that is just a part of the natural order of things. But there has to be that mutual respect and thick skinned understanding.

Comment

Yeah, I listen to a podcast show called Clark Howard. He does radio and tv shows. Gives great financial advice and money saving tips for normal every day people. The nicest man I've ever heard on the radio. And so I was like yeah, let's go to his site. The same 5 douche bags post there. Always saying the same thing. Why didn't you save your money? It's like guess what? People going to look for financial advice help need HELP! I hate the place. It sits so sour on my mind. The fact these few members are ruining a whole community. Keeps people from wanting to participate at all. Like they make me look nice.
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Pathway Machine View Post
                    I once - somehow - found myself on a sewing and knitting forum. You know, like one of those searches you do and for some odd reason find yourself in a totally different place you set out to find? Anyway, those little old ladies and housewives were going at each other like nothing I have ever seen. I think if they had been in the same room they would have skewed each other with their knitting needles down to the last grey haired survivor.
                    Don't assume everyone in a knitting or sewing forum is a little old lady. I participate in a massive one where creative swearing is practically a sport and the discussion can get pretty crude (and blunt - if you act like an arsehole they aren't shy about telling you). Some of the crudest are even old ladies (and a few are even young men) but if you called them a little old lady they'd probably junk punch you and call you a... hang on better not say that here ...
                    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
                      Don't assume everyone in a knitting or sewing forum is a little old lady. I participate in a massive one where creative swearing is practically a sport and the discussion can get pretty crude (and blunt - if you act like an arsehole they aren't shy about telling you). Some of the crudest are even old ladies (and a few are even young men) but if you called them a little old lady they'd probably junk punch you and call you a... hang on better not say that here ...
                      I stand corrected . . . and warned. Junk punched. Heh, I've never heard that expression. I believe it. I ran out of there with my tail between my legs.

Comment

On top of that, Maythe knits like a Viking, with a capital V.

You're lucky you can still cup your junk, Pathway Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Pathway Machine View Post
                          I stand corrected . . . and warned. Junk punched. Heh, I've never heard that expression. I believe it. I ran out of there with my tail between my legs.
                          Respect the knitters dude - they have pointy sticks.
                          You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

My ex tried to teach me knitting,but my hand-eye thing and concentration did not go along with it.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I can sort of crochet, but my stitches get smaller and smaller, so I always end up with a half-oval or a weird triangle.

Comment

Little known fact: some atheists knit, some don't. In that respect, atheists are just like everybody else.

Comment

Working...
                                X