We are the root of all evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: We are the root of all evil

Don't Christians go specifically to atheist forums for the purpose of becoming martyrs by being torn apart?

Or is it that they expect to bring the word of a non-existent god to the ignorant?

In either case, it's hard to feel sorry for someone who goes into the lions's den to commit suicide, or in the belief that a carnivore can be convinced to turn vegan.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

the belief that a carnivore can be convinced to turn vegan.

Yeh,tell that to a hungry Cat....
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        the belief that a carnivore can be convinced to turn vegan.

Yeh,tell that to a hungry Cat....
        Especially when it's done by talking meat that believes it has holy power...
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Just my thought,and gonna put something I posted elsewhere here.

I think a real good sign of a positive belief is,if it allows you to joke about your deity without all the fire and brimstone coming down on you,AND you can hear the God or Goddess laughing at themselves...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            Don't Christians go specifically to atheist forums for the purpose of becoming martyrs by being torn apart?

Or is it that they expect to bring the word of a non-existent god to the ignorant?

In either case, it's hard to feel sorry for someone who goes into the lions's den to commit suicide, or in the belief that a carnivore can be convinced to turn vegan.
            Strangely, about half or more of the Christians who join PF aren't looking to get shredded or wage campaigns of conversion against Pagans. Are Atheists particularly special that they get targeted above and beyond other non-believers.

EDIT: and before it comes up, that ratio includes the preachy ones that the staff bans
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              Strangely, about half or more of the Christians who join PF aren't looking to get shredded or wage campaigns of conversion against Pagans. Are Atheists particularly special that they get targeted above and beyond other non-believers.

EDIT: and before it comes up, that ratio includes the preachy ones that the staff bans
              Honestly, I dunno. I've never been on an atheist forum... I don't know what I'd talk about there:

"I don't believe in God."
              "Neither do I."
              "OK, now what?"
              "So... What do ya think about those Mets?"

But here, I can talk about things that interest me, because even an atheist can be "spiritual." Just ask the other atheist pagans here...

I suspect that an atheist forum would attract Christian-haters in the same way that some pagan sites do. Mebbe that's the problem?

Comment

I don't mind atheists being atheists, but why do mostly atheists end up causing trouble in PF? Atheists, or super sensitive people.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Not so much Pagans or atheist,but just trolls that say they are one or the other I think(The troll part is mainly the problem)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                    I don't mind atheists being atheists, but why do mostly atheists end up causing trouble in PF? Atheists, or super sensitive people.
                    Atheists don't actually cause the most trouble. The largest problem demographic on PF (not counting spammers) is idiots. Atheistic and religious alike happen to be part of that demographic. The active portion of it varies with the time of year and I really don't want a theist vs atheist fight at the moment. I will infract all sides if one starts.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                      Careful there, Gleb. We gottses atheists in management...

Oops... Sorry, MO.

Comment

Speaking from personal experience, I would be inclined to doubt it, not that they don't expect it if they have any sense. I think they go mostly out of ego. More often than not I go into those forums to mock and taunt them. I've been doing it for nearly 20 years, since 1996, though it didn't start like that. In the beginning I was terribly naive in thinking that if they only heard what I know they would come to their senses. Then, after being viciously attacked I began to get a kick out of returning those attacks. Gradually I matured beyond that and then I just got bored. Now I don't do it so much.

As I said, in the beginning, perhaps. But, the Christians tend to be ever so slightly more ignorant than the atheists and I can't stand to debate and discuss with them. In the early days, when those sorts of forums (religious debate, i.e., Atheist vs. Theist) were far more popular you couldn't just google or wiki any real substantial answer. Until the atheist figured that out it was far too easy to refute them. Now days they just Google or Wiki an answer they barely pay attention to and they mock and taunt. I don't think they are any less ignorant than they used to be, they've just learned how to cope with it.

I don't think they were there for pity or conversion. And I don't think there are many of them, or from my perspective, us left.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to say I honestly haven't encountered many pagans in atheist forums, or anywhere else. The atheists I've had discussions with see pagan belief as being pretty much the same as Christian. The atheists have a very low tolerance for anyone open to the supernatural and / or mythological. The only advantage a pagan would have over a Christian in their (the atheists) mind would be that the pagan doesn't have the political and social influence as a majority.

I myself wouldn't see the Pagan in a similar light as an atheist, more likely to myself.

Comment

The largest problem demographic on PF (not counting spammers) is idiots.
                          As on PF, so on the Earth.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Careful there, Gleb. We gottses atheists in management...

Oops... Sorry, MO.
                            Your post went up literal seconds after mine. I am a malevolent bastard of a tyrant but I'm not gonna get cranky over it. Reason has some over my temper.

Comment

Your post went up literal seconds after mine. I am a malevolent bastard of a tyrant but I'm not gonna get cranky over it. Reason has some over my temper.
                              I've always secretly suspected that, but my concept of good manners required an apology anyway...

Comment

But here, I can talk about things that interest me, because even an atheist can be "spiritual." Just ask the other atheist pagans here...

I think this is probably why we have a good number of atheists...and not many (any?) Atheists.

Here @ PF we all have this idea down pretty well:

Sure, we can get passionate in discussing what we believe or how we (mis)interpreted what someone meant from what they said, and sometimes that gets fractious...but at the end of the day, people that join that can't "acknowledge their irreducible unknowingness" (despite their personal belief or disbelief) don't tend to last long.
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X