Machine Takes on Sword Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Machine Takes on Sword Master

I did not only want to share this because of how awesome it is, but as well as how scary this is. Not the type of fear one might have by looking at a spider, but speculating fear, one of realization of technological advances.

I watched this video several times, and each time was I more and more surprised. A programmable machine that mastered an old art of combat and skill. This would take a man his whole life, constantly studying and training to even ever achieve any close results.
    Check it out.

Thoughts? Feel free to post more machines in this type of format.
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
    - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Re: Machine Takes on Sword Master

While a sword machine may have skill, it does not know when to fight, nor when to give way or offer mercy to a worthy opponent.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Very cute.

Show me a machine that can do something other than cut and I'll be more impressed.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I wouldn't say by any stretch of it that the machine has mastered anything. It is simply mimicking the movements made by man, and in fact needed additional help from man because it could not made adjustments to it's own set program (Slicing the bean pod - they had to stop and re-calibrate the height of the object and the held blade before doing it). Granted, it's precision is greater, but babies and very young children can do the exact same thing, mirroring and echoing the actions of someone they are watching. Now, if it can take those movements, compile them, and then perform an unique kata or respond to an ever-changing environment, then I would be impressed.

Even then, just back away from it, circle around, and cut the power cord ...

Now, THIS, on the other hand, is super impressive: a man capable of slicing a pellet in mid-air as it is being fired at him from a gun.

Comment

Ahh that.. I saw it already. Very nice.
          I'm glad this machine doesn't have its own brain.. Otherwise those who stood in its way would be in seeerious trouble.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
            I wouldn't say by any stretch of it that the machine has mastered anything...Now, if it can take those movements, compile them, and then perform an unique kata or respond to an ever-changing environment, then I would be impressed.

Even then, just back away from it, circle around, and cut the power cord ...
            Exactly - the first thing it will need is two leg and two feet. Step forward, step back. Step right, step left. Circle. Big steps, small steps, side steps. It will also need two arms, and be able to coordinate infinite arm movements with feet movements. It will need a waist so it can twist, bend, and extend. To do all of these things at the same time, it will need excellent balance.

Those things are, potentially, doable in a machine. Not today or in the near future, but some day (if expense vs. utility ever warrants the development).

But then you get into the hard stuff - the A.I.

Your fighting machine will need to be programmed with all possible moves, and counter moves (doable. Very complex, but doable). Somehow, it will have to be programmed to tell the difference between a feint, a hard feint, a soft feint, an attack, a hard attack, a soft attack, and a tentative attack (this is where humans have problems, and need a good dose of luck to survive, so you might also have to figure out how to program it to be "lucky").

Should that be accomplished, the machine will need to be programmed to be unprogrammed - to think and act independently of it's programming - because "programmed" means "predictable," and predictable, in a fight, is suicidal.

If all of this can be done, the machine might be effective in the non-martial (i.e.: stylized, not fight-to-the-death) sport version of Asian "martial" arts, but, put it up against REAL martial arts, where their are no "rules," other than "survive," and incorporate fists, elbows, head butts, knee jams, joint destruction, and all the other nasties that are no-no's in polite "fighting," and the complexity has been increased to infinite.

Infinite possibilities are not programmable. They are only learnable via long, long, long practice...

The sword wielding machine is basically a fancy table saw.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              While a sword machine may have skill, it does not know when to fight, nor when to give way or offer mercy to a worthy opponent.
              I wonder what we do when we've made this...it will happen one day.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                I wonder what we do when we've made this...it will happen one day.
                We already have them. They are called "autonomous drones."

Welcome to the future!

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                  I wouldn't say by any stretch of it that the machine has mastered anything. It is simply mimicking the movements made by man, and in fact needed additional help from man because it could not made adjustments to it's own set program (Slicing the bean pod - they had to stop and re-calibrate the height of the object and the held blade before doing it). Granted, it's precision is greater, but babies and very young children can do the exact same thing, mirroring and echoing the actions of someone they are watching. Now, if it can take those movements, compile them, and then perform an unique kata or respond to an ever-changing environment, then I would
                  This is an exact point though, and something to be stressed; this machine is still in its baby steps. Just wait till the technology processing its movements mature

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Very cute.

Show me a machine that can do something other than cut and I'll be more impressed.
                  There is a machine that you own that has a database of infinit knowledge. You're reading this comment from its screen. The possibilities are limitless.
                  - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                    This is an exact point though, and something to be stressed; this machine is still in its baby steps. Just wait till the technology processing its movements mature
                    Actually, robotic arms that can execute a limited set of precise, pre-programmed movements have been used in industry for 40 years. The only new twist here is that the limited set of precise, pre-programmed movements incorporates a sword, instead of a built-in screwdriver.

This is much, much, mucho much more impressive:

Comment

heres something to one up that.
                      - Finn's Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Norse_Angel View Post
                        http://youtu.be/_luhn7TLfWU
                        heres something to one up that.
                        Oh yeah!

That is way good!

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Should that be accomplished, the machine will need to be programmed to be unprogrammed - to think and act independently of it's programming - because "programmed" means "predictable,"
                          Go find a high end chess engine. Predict it's moves and beat it. In 20-30 years when you might be good enough to get a draw by focusing on the board instead of trying to predict the machine, come back and tell me how good humans are at predicting and countering programs. Yes, a fight is more complex than a board game but there are also cheap shortcuts that can be taken to give the machine a physical edge and no the program won't require infinite knowledge. Once it knows how to move, operate the weapon and account for the environment, you reduce the issue of overwhelming and murdering it's opponents to a math problem like they do with a chess engine. To account for rare, perfectly even start positions, give it a book of about 500 (50 would do but I'm a malevolent bastard) opening movements and randomize the selection.

Can we do this right now? Not for a melee combatant. Will that change? Development of largely autonomous flying combat drones is under way now. If humanity survives the next century without bombing itself into the dark ages then I'd expect to AIs capable of being repurposed as sword bots.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

The high end chess engine would be the more modern one that uses board patterns rather than the old style that runs through all potential moves, I imagine?

Yes... one day. But not yet... I'm not saying it is impossible. I was trying to point out how complicated it would be, and how far from it we currently are.

A machine can be stronger - I don't suppose testicle grabs would work against a machine, although a machine could use them against a human male. And most metals used in industry are stronger than human skin.

A machine can put up with more than a human. Stab a human in the eye, and the odds of that person being able to fight to a win drop way, way down. Smash a machine sensor and, as long as it has built in redundancy, you haven't done much.

A machine can be faster, and doesn't tire. People are slow, and do tire.

But if you build a sword fighting machine today, I will fight it without too much concern...

Comment

So,it is Wizards chess kinda like in Harry Potter... I is amazed and confused all at the same time....
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X