Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The female identity in the bible.

May 2015
    Religion
    Currently disassembling my faith
    Phrase
    A thousand Dreams within me softly burn

Re: The female identity in the bible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shekhinah

Is actually a pretty good article on the subject of the feminine aspects of the Judeo-Christian God, known by most Christians as the Holy Spirit

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Discordian/Chaote

Quote Originally Posted by Nue View Post
    I second this, though for some reason some verions take her out entirely
    In the oldest of the Tanakh Scrolls, the only mention of the Lilitu is found in the Book of Isaiah making reference to the dwellings of the Lilitu, which were demons who would kill children and harm pregnant mothers. Tess Dawson on her website canaanitepath.com(for some reason I am not allowed to post links yet) makes some great point from many scholars in regards to Lilith from a Canaanite perspective on the topic of the recent Lilith explosion happening in the last 40+years.

Tess Dawson wrote "In popular thought today, Lilith is often viewed as a misunderstood dark goddess of sexuality, but this simply is not true in ancient lore. There was no male conspiracy that demonized a poor, misunderstood Lilith just because she was a strong female. She is not a poster-child for sexual discrimination, women's rights, or sexuality. She does not hearken back to a fictitious era when matriarchy was the rule, and she is not a part of a secret, forgotten mythology that patriarchy distorted.
    Lilith is best known now from Jewish lore in the Talmud as the woman who refused to lie beneath Adam. Before she was cast as this character, she was known in Jewish lore as a demon--not as a liberated woman. The only "male conspiracy" here is not a smear on Lilith's character since she was evil from the beginning, but that she--known earlier as a demon--was deliberately cast in the role of Adam's rebellious first wife.

Before she was known as Adam's first wife, she may first appear as the demon Lilitu in Sumerian lore around 2400 BCE. A Bronze Age fragment of a text written in Akkadian was found in Ugarit: this text mentions Lamashtu, and describes her as a wolf. The characters of Assyrian Lilitu and Babylonian Lamashtu or Lamashshu may have been absorbed into each other to become known as the same entity by the Middle Babylonian period (circa 1150-900 BCE). Lamashtu, a daughter of Anu, was thought to cause illness in babies and small children; Lilitu was also thought to harm babies and children. (Anu is a Sumerian god of the heavens and the king of his pantheon.)

Later ideas of Lilith may also have been influenced by images of the Greek lamiae and the Roman striga."

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

As an anti-spam measure links are restricted till after you've made 15 non-game, non-intro posts (game and intro are defined by subforum in this case). Under normal conditions, I'd probably kill off the quasi-link in your post but it sounds relevant to the topic and historically I've allowed exceptions there. Plus you've gone on a posting spree and if you haven't passed the threshold by the time I'm done typing, you will soon.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Discordian/Chaote

Thank you for the information, MaskedOne.

On another note to topic, the name of Mary/Miryam/Miriam, as they are all the same name in Hebrew all translate to mean "Rebellion."
    So, the Christian Theotokos, the Mother of God Mary, and the woman who was considered the thirteenth Apostle Mary of Magdala are all named "Rebellion."

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by AntonBRaxas View Post
    Thank you for the information, MaskedOne.

On another note to topic, the name of Mary/Miryam/Miriam, as they are all the same name in Hebrew all translate to mean "Rebellion."
    So, the Christian Theotokos, the Mother of God Mary, and the woman who was considered the thirteenth Apostle Mary of Magdala are all named "Rebellion."
    The etymology of the name Miriam is fairly ambiguous.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Discordian/Chaote

True. However, from an unusually large amount of Judaic sources in reference to the names Miriam and Mary, most often than not, the Rabbinical intention is to apply the definition to mean "rebellion." The Rabbinical basis is usually in regards to the bias against the Christian Theotokos, which surprisingly many admit.

But you are correct in the ambiguity, as the traditional meanings are mostly lost in the ages. Much can be said of the name Rivkah, my second oldest daughter's name which translates modern day to mean "Unfettered, unbound beauty" but can also mean "relentless."
    There is beauty in darkness for those who dare enter the shadows to embrace it. - John Coughlin

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Theistic Satanism & Demonolatry
    Phrase
    Astra inclinant, sed non obligant

Quote Originally Posted by Azvanna View Post
    Today I was considering how the female identity is portrayed in the Bible. I couldn't think of an example of a sacred story where the female was presented in any other way apart from her attachment to a male. For example, Esther was championed as a hero of her generation among preachers when I was a teenager. They would talk about an "Esther generation" who were willing to take risks for the sake of the gospel, but even she was simply taking orders from her Uncle Mordecai. Ruth is another one, though the success of her story depends on her becoming the bride of Boaz. Can anyone think of any tales where the female is celebrated out of her own right? It might be a theme too out of context of the culture.

There may not be stories of particular individuals, but there might be attributes you can think of that are given a feminine pronoun. For example, Wisdom.
    I would encourage you to examine Qabbalistic texts for a wealth or empowering feminine figures and concepts assigned a feminine aspect. There are far too many for me to delve into at present, but as has already been touched upon here (I believe), the feminine "presence" of "God" (the Shekhinah) is perhaps at the forefront of my thoughts on the matter.

For your reading list, if you like:

On The Wings of the Shekhinah: Rediscovering Judaism's Divine Feminine by Rabbi Leah Novick

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by Torey View Post
    I would encourage you to examine Qabbalistic texts for a wealth or empowering feminine figures and concepts assigned a feminine aspect. There are far too many for me to delve into at present, but as has already been touched upon here (I believe), the feminine "presence" of "God" (the Shekhinah) is perhaps at the forefront of my thoughts on the matter.

For your reading list, if you like:

On The Wings of the Shekhinah: Rediscovering Judaism's Divine Feminine by Rabbi Leah Novick
    This right here is what PF is about: A Theistic Satanist is helping a Christian to grow in her faith.

I will buy that book, Torey. I hate buying books because I have too many already and am really stingy. lol. But I'll buy this one.

I had forgotten about women being the first to proclaim 'He is risen!' I can't believe that.. I think I have mentioned it on these boards at least twice. I know that in the Hebrew culture of the time, a woman's word could not be considered a trustworthy testimony. However, I really believe that when the women were chosen to be the first to proclaim 'he is risen,' it was an affirming of the worth of a woman's testimony.

- - - Updated - - -

Hate is too strong a word. I avoid buying books. Except if they are by Robin Hobb

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

not precicely on topic, *and* I haven't read it, but this looks interesting....
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

May 2012
    Religion
    Optimistic Agnostic
    Phrase
    Suspend Judgement

Bought this book today ^.^ Found it for just over $24. XD