The Divine and the Number Three

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Divine and the Number Three

I know that the number three is something that seems to pop up ALL over the place when it comes to religion, but for some reason I had never made the connection of it with Northern Traditions. Until just the other day. I was thinking about how I intended to set up a devotional space in my house, and it came to me just how often three shows up.

Three tiers of Yggdrassil, each with three realms associated with it.

Three aett of eight for the Elder Futhark

Three families of gods - Aesir, Vanir, and Rokkr.

The valknut is three triangles

Now, I'm sure there are many more than I've not thought of as of yet. What sets of three have you discovered?

Re: The Divine and the Number Three

Odin hung for 9 days - 3 x 3
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

It's between three and nine for the "magic numbers" in Heathenism.
      "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
      And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
      They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
      The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"
      - Finn's Saga

http://hoodednorseman.tumblr.com/

Comment

Nine is three times three, so nine is an extension of three... meaning something like "the ultimate in three."
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

In evocation, there's the "Triangle of manifestation" a.k.a three points, 3 candles, etc. And for some reason the human mind tends to automatically see groups of 3's the easiest out of all other groups (7's being the hardest)
          My Divination Shop

Comment

Working...
          X