Becoming or Discovering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becoming or Discovering?

I've heard from some sources that one doesn't become a pagan, they discover their paganism. How valid do you think that statement is? Before I became a pagan, I never would have imagined the existence of any gods or goddesses. So what do you think? Do you "become" a pagan or "discover" your inner pagan?

Re: Becoming or Discovering?

Originally posted by LearningMan View Post
    I've heard from some sources that one doesn't become a pagan, they discover their paganism. How valid do you think that statement is? Before I became a pagan, I never would have imagined the existence of any gods or goddesses. So what do you think? Do you "become" a pagan or "discover" your inner pagan?
    I'm not sure...

Thinking back on when I first learned about witchcraft (or paganism in more general terms) and decided it was for me, I do remember it feeling more like discovering something about myself I'd never noticed before rather than becoming something different; but it seems more a matter semantics.

Comment

I've heard the phrase "then I found Paganism (or Wicca, many people seem to come to Paganism through Wicca) and realised it was something I had always believed in".
      But a lot of people outside of Paganism feel a special connection to nature, have spiritual experiences that could be labeled as pagan or practice some kind of magic but not calling it that. I don't think there's some kind of a "Pagan chromosome" (whether that's a physical, mental or spiritual thing) that makes some people born into Pagans and some not. Some people might have personality traits or interets that make them more "prone to Paganism" but I don't believe it's a predestined thing.
      Life shapes us, our beliefs and the ways we think about the world and relate to it. I'd say everyone is a potential Pagan; we might take the road that leads us here or the one that makes us Christian/Buddhist/atheist/squirrel, something might happen that changes the way we think about the world... the possibilities are endless.
      baah.

Comment

I think it depends. I know a number of people that truly embraced their previous religions when they were part of them, and for some reason left before they found out Paganism existed. I think those people become Pagan. For those of us that always knew we didn't belong, I think many of us discover that what we have always been is Pagan.
        A human being is part of the whole, called by us 'Universe,' limited in time and space. He experiences himself...as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a prison for us... Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the of whole nature in its beauty...
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

Discovering is educating yourself on something new to you or about you.
          Becoming
          is a willing acceptance and choice to change and alter a belief or practice, whether consciously or unconsciously, about yourself.
          There is beauty in darkness for those who dare enter the shadows to embrace it. - John Coughlin

Comment

For me it was a case of finding out that there was a name for what I believed and practiced and that other people did it too. It was like finding family I didn't know I had!

Comment

Working...
            X