Anyone ever install a chain link fence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever install a chain link fence?

So.... our new neighbors were so so nice and confined their dogs behind a brand new fence (after we threatened to call animal control if they charged our dogs in our yard again because they were letting them out the door off leash). And now that we only have once side we have to do, we're thinking about installing one. I've been watching youtube all day. And I still have some questions.

All the rolls of fencing I can find are 50 ft. Our yard is 114 from the back to the corner of the garage. Do I need to put in a new terminal post every time the fabric runs out? Cause those posts are $$$ and I don't really want to do that.

How important is a tension wire on the bottom really?

Has anyone tried to foam filler they have now for holding the posts upright as an alternative to cement? And if I use cement, just how much do I actually need?

Can I dig the holes with a shovel? Or do I really need to buy that fancy fence post shovel just for one project?

Is it at all worth the time and effort or should I just see about contracting someone?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: Anyone ever install a chain link fence?

I've put them in before or various other types of fencing. To be truthful a lot would depend upon what type of dog's your dealing with and whether it is to keep yours in or others out.

Consider we have a full blooded pit and half pit puppies of full age now. All of which will climb the fence and have done so at various time. Even to the point of leaping a 5 foot fence so we put in a 6 foot. That only because they do not make 8 foot fences anymore as a norm. Yet climbing is not the norm for them unless we get a thunder and lightning storm in or they think me or the wife is in danger from someone or something.

Being heavier dogs the extra post's make the fence both sturdier but also take out the sway or fold that tends to develop over longer runs where the top leans in or over from it's own weight. The bottom guide tends to strengthen the bottom so the dogs can not easily burrow or pull the fencing out to create a pocket through which they can wiggle under it. Yet older dogs may not need it, especially if they've been in fenced in areas before and have not seen that trick. Of course chain link fencing also tends to have to solid or semi-solid top bar the both holds the weight of the chain and braces it between each pole.

Truthfully digging the post hole depends upon the soil and hardness of the ground. Post hole diggers work better to keep the holes relatively small and circular where a shovel tends to make them unbalanced and a bit larger. Post hole diggers in my opinion tend to save time unless its a hard and or rocky soil then they are about the same as shovels in that regard. Not counting the breaker rods that might be needed to crush and bust up rocks that the shovel or post hole digger can not remove. We cement ours in place and tend to sink them at least a foot in the ground though 2 to 2.5 is better for what we use them for. Regular chain link fence post's I've never seen deeper than a foot though many of them are only about 6 inches when cemented in in my area.

Definitely lots of things to consider.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Our dogs aren't the main issue. The German Shepard won't even jump a baby gate let alone a fence. And by the time my daughter can climb it I'm site she'll be able to just lift the latch. I just want a place they won't easily escape when we go out. They won't be left out without us anyway.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

Just my perspective but one thing I've noticed with fences is that people tend to get started and then discover all the missing clamps, clips, etc they didn't realize they would need or just how many of them they would need. So you end up with a project that may take days to get done because of the small trips to a store to find the items they need. That is assuming the store's actually have them or the specific type they need for the project.

Sometimes the price and cost is easier just to have someone else put it in and let them worry about making sure they have all the small parts.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          So.... our new neighbors were so so nice and confined their dogs behind a brand new fence (after we threatened to call animal control if they charged our dogs in our yard again because they were letting them out the door off leash). And now that we only have once side we have to do, we're thinking about installing one. I've been watching youtube all day. And I still have some questions.

All the rolls of fencing I can find are 50 ft. Our yard is 114 from the back to the corner of the garage. Do I need to put in a new terminal post every time the fabric runs out? Cause those posts are $$$ and I don't really want to do that.

How important is a tension wire on the bottom really?

Has anyone tried to foam filler they have now for holding the posts upright as an alternative to cement? And if I use cement, just how much do I actually need?

Can I dig the holes with a shovel? Or do I really need to buy that fancy fence post shovel just for one project?

Is it at all worth the time and effort or should I just see about contracting someone?

Its probably easier to contract. I helped my dad do our fence as a kid, and our neighbors fence, my grandparents......ours was wood and the neighbors and grandparents was chain link.

I would recommend the tension wire, because otherwise things learn to dig in and out and warp the bottom of the fence (it won't necessarily stop digging, but it makes it harder). In my experience, if its done right, it helps with that, and just from time damage--mowing, weed eating, kids running into the fence with their bike, etc.

IMO, concrete. To figure out how much, figure out how many posts, the size of the hole in terms of diameter and depth (I think its 8"*30" for terminal, and 6"*20" for non-terminal posts) so you can calculate approximate volume, which will let you calculate the amount of concrete needed--there are internet concrete calculators, but I recommend going to the hardware store, asking the guy or gal "what concrete do you recommend for post holes for a fence?" and then looking at how many cubic feet each bag will do because different types of concrete have different densities.

Also, I'd go with the post hole digger--you may be able to just rent one (even better, you can rent an automatic one).

For post holes (or really any fence), the more the merrier (until it looks crowded). Think about it this way, the cheaper you go, the sooner you will have to fix it. My dad is a municipal building inspector (he used to be a civil engineer), whatever code is, in his own home, he often doubles it (unless there is a sound engineering reason not to). Code is minimum quality and safety. Your city maybe has a code for fencing. Maybe requires a permit too. You might want to look into that, because not having proper permits can mess with selling a house down the line. Line posts are usually 8-10 feet apart (you sort of have to do the math of how far apart your terminal posts are--basically, you will need 2 terminal posts and 10 regular posts spaced 9 feet, 6 inches apart...if I did my math correctly.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys. I have watched several videos to get an idea of what all I'll need. It's just that they don't quite answer everything

Comment

Working...
            X