Apparently I'm not doing the 'right' 'rites'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently I'm not doing the 'right' 'rites'

So, I came across a Wiccan who is of a very Traditional Path. Now, I don't have a problem with that, but I usually will try and stay away from them because they tend to not agree with my Solitary path. Now, one actually addressed me about the fact that I don't have a God right now because one simply hasn't called out to me. She mentioned the fact that I "need" to have a God in order to be Wiccan because I have to use the God in "the Great Rite" and then she listed off about 5 or 6 other "rites" that I need to perform in order for my practice to be considered Wiccan.

Now, I think this is stupid but I wanted to be polite so I tried to answer back as well as I could. What I wanted to say was "Look lady, I actually have a life and I'm pretty busy." But I didn't. I'm a full time student with a job and disabilities and illnesses that I have to take care of. I haven't had the time to explore my path and discover all these things or perform all of these rituals.

now, my question is, whether or not the fact that I A) don't have a god, or B) don't do many "Wiccan-y" things anymore is really such a terrible thing. I am Solitary and Eclectic so I don't really think all of these specific rules are that big of a deal. I do have to live my life and I'm pretty sure the Goddess understands that. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong.
    A Happy Little Wiccan:^^:

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Because who needs a life when you have a chatroom.

Re: Apparently I'm not doing the 'right' 'rites'

We never addressed a specific deity during the great rite. The words we used spoke of only 'goddess' and 'god'. So I don't know the version this person is speaking of. You may need a specific deity for HER version of wicca, but as you've said, you're a solitary, so no.. you're not doing it wrong.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

There are something like 30,000 denominations of Protestantism in the world, and some of those delight in telling others they're "doing it wrong", too! Don't let it bother you.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

The Great Rite involves a partner (I'm pretty sure this rule applies regardless of if the carnal version of the rite is used). The fact that you're solitary probably gets in the way a whole lot more than lack of a specific God. Past that minor tidbit,

1) Wicca is not a unified faith. It has a number of sects and several of them disagree on almost everything. Dianics and Gardnerians are rather vehement in their disagreement on the importance of a God figure.

2) Does it matter? You have a path and a means of approaching Divinity. If they profit you then stick to them. If they don't then change them. The name of the path only particularly matters as a means of describing it to other people.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I agree with the others. There is no wrong way! You create your own path.
          Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Originally posted by anubisa View Post
            I agree with the others. There is no wrong way! You create your own path.
            Oh there are plenty of wrong ways. They tend to be identifiable by virtue of not being beneficial to the person on them. That doesn't seem to be the case here so mostly unless one enjoys the "Will the Real Wiccan please step forward?" discussions, Serria's way might not fit a given sect of Wicca but there are a lot of sects claiming to be Wiccan.

That and well, the Traditional and I just shouldn't meet. If one is using the Great Rite as one's case for what a Solitary needs in their practice then either I'm seriously misinformed about what the Great Rite is or....

yah know I'm just gonna stop here. I really don't think spelling out the various or options on the public boards is beneficial.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

I'd like to hear your opinions if you're more comfortable PMing them.

Im just getting so annoyed with this person because they've just turned into a jerk. You'd think that for someone who hates religions that press their beliefs on others, this person wouldn't go for the whole "You're not a real Wiccan because you don't do the same things that I do" BS.

Comment

Well, there are wrong ways/charlatans/users in any religion/group, etc. There are people who claim to be part of a great coven who are just trying to cop a free feel under a full moon. You have to look for sincerity within any group you're considering.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

The above is a safe for work description of what the Great Rite is Serria. As a Solitary, you won't be performing any variation of it that I'm aware of so meeting the requirements to is sort of a moot point. Even the symbolic version is a two person deal.

Comment

Ok. Personally, I just don't like the idea of a high priest and/or priestess. I don't like the idea of someone being more important or above anybody else.

again, that's just my opinion.

Comment

I do know that some groups utilize the great rite under the pretense of using the athame and chalice as the symbolic male and female vice having an actual priest & priestess perform the rite. But like Maskedone said there are more ways and more practitioners than one can shake a stick at and say this or that is or is not Wicca.
                      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                        I do know that some groups utilize the great rite under the pretense of using the athame and chalice as the symbolic male and female vice having an actual priest & priestess perform the rite. But like Maskedone said there are more ways and more practitioners than one can shake a stick at and say this or that is or is not Wicca.
                        I'm aware of the symbolic version but don't they still have two participants? One holding the chalice and the other using the Athame. Is there an existing work-around to that?

Comment

Originally posted by Serria View Post
                          Ok. Personally, I just don't like the idea of a high priest and/or priestess. I don't like the idea of someone being more important or above anybody else.

again, that's just my opinion.
                          The high priestess and high priest aren't above anyone. We're all priestess and priests from the moment we take our first initiation. They are simply recognised for their knowledge, and in a position to guide the rest of us through rituals, and through our training. It's a poorly run coven that thinks the HPS and HP are above the regular members.

I have to agree that I don't know how I could carry out the great rite in token as a solitary (and the great rite actual would be quite a feat!), so it never made it into my solitary practice. I don't think it made much difference to the significance of my rites though. There are a lot of differences between group and solitary work, but I never felt one was better than the other (and when it came to spells, I often found working alone was a lot more effective...).
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                            I'm aware of the symbolic version but don't they still have two participants? One holding the chalice and the other using the Athame. Is there an existing work-around to that?
                            In all honesty I've only seen it with a single person representation twice. In that capacity the rite was seen as the person receiving the "Gifts" or energy of both male and female and acknowledging them and his / her relationship to the divine. Sort of indicating the divine was both external to them yet within them at the same time which allowed them to be influenced by both. I believe it also suggested that the divine was both without (ie the athame and chalice) and within (holding the items physically and as part or an extension of themselves) but took focus and dedication to meld them properly. But in welding the acolyte or practitioner was both human and divine at the same time.

I know the person was Wiccan but I can't even tell you what flavor they claimed to be.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                              In all honesty I've only seen it with a single person representation twice. In that capacity the rite was seen as the person receiving the "Gifts" or energy of both male and female and acknowledging them and his / her relationship to the divine. Sort of indicating the divine was both external to them yet within them at the same time which allowed them to be influenced by both. I believe it also suggested that the divine was both without (ie the athame and chalice) and within (holding the items physically and as part or an extension of themselves) but took focus and dedication to meld them properly. But in welding the acolyte or practitioner was both human and divine at the same time.

I know the person was Wiccan but I can't even tell you what flavor they claimed to be.
                              Heh, learn something new every day. I wouldn't have ever expected a solitary version of that rite. It'd be interesting to see a write up of that ritual.

Comment

Working...
                              X