Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Kemetic Paganism? Basic info for newbies!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Kemetic Paganism? Basic info for newbies!

Hi everyone! You can call me River if you want ^^
    I decided I wanted to become a pagan for many reasons, mainly because I can't fathom only one god to be worshiped in all of history is real, and because I am drawn to the gods of egypt.........

So! All my life I've felt a connection to and fascination with the Egyptian Dieties and Egypt in general. I've done research on multiple kinds of paganism, and I felt very drawn to Kemetism.

But I don't know where to start!
    I know you all are probably very tired of getting this same question, and I'm so sorry........

But can you maybe give me the basics, or at least point me to a website that explains it well?

And also.........
    I have another question.
    If you begin to practice any form of paganism, and you honor the gods incorrectly because you are new and still learning.... will they be angry with you? Becuase I want to practice, but I'm just scared of doing it wrong..........

Thank you for anything you can tell me....... I'm sorry if I come off a bit fearful, I'm just fretfully confused and overwhelmed...........
    Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Re: Can Someone Give Me The Basics of Kemetism? Please?

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
    And also.........
    I have another question.
    If you begin to practice any form of paganism, and you honor the gods incorrectly because you are new and still learning.... will they be angry with you? Becuase I want to practice, but I'm just scared of doing it wrong..........
    I'm not Kemetic, so I'll leave that for the experts.

But...

... for the other - imagine that you are meeting somebody for the first time. You bring a bottle of wine, smile, and act in a friendly manner. Unfortunately, you brought red wine, and the person you are meeting prefers white wine.

If that person flies into a rage and beats you senseless 'cause you brought the wrong wine, would you care to associate with that person in the future?

Hopefully, the answer is a resounding "No!"

Treat "the Gods" the same way. Expect reasonable behavior, and, if you don't get it, flip 'em the bird and go somewhere else.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
      imagine that you are meeting somebody for the first time. You bring a bottle of wine, smile, and act in a friendly manner. Unfortunately, you brought red wine, and the person you are meeting prefers white wine.

If that person flies into a rage and beats you senseless 'cause you brought the wrong wine, would you care to associate with that person in the future?

Treat "the Gods" the same way. Expect reasonable behavior, and, if you don't get it, flip 'em the bird and go somewhere else

can I quote this elsewhere? like on my blog?
      “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
      ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
      ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Hmmm,B. De. seems to have made a quotable quote.....Wow B. De.,you been reading again haven't you...Must read to catch up with B. De.'s wisdom....
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Here are two organisations: cesidaho.org and kemet.org (I haven't been here long enough myself to be allowed to post proper links). Which you'll prefer is a matter for you.

As for "doing it wrong", over the centuries people did it it many ways. Any sincere approach to a God is welcome. Take names, for example. Over the years, Isis was addressed as Rusat (Old Kingdom), Yusat (Middle Kingdom), Usah (late New Kingdom), and Esi (by Cleopatra). And then there's Isis for Greeks and Romans and Wusa in the Sudan. None of that was doing it wrong: she knew when people were worshiping her - it goes with being a Goddess.

The literature of Egypt is obviously concerned with temple rituals, but archeology shows us what happened in the home. There would be a small altar, with statues of national or local Gods, busts of ancestors, an incense burner, a lamp, and vessels for offerings of bread and for pouring libations. Like the Indians and Chinese today, they offered food to the Gods and then ate it themselves as a way of receiving a divine blessing.

Comment

Lol, Anu...

as for the OP, we have a Egyptian/Kemetic section of the forum (its a subforum under Pagan Discussion)--its basically just Egyptian Paganism, of which there are a few traditions (like Kemetic Orthodoxy (KO) or Tameran Wicca...and even modern Atenism).

The section isn't very big, or only active Kemetic Pagan is Gleb, though a couple members are knowlegable, and a non-active member that still pops in from time to time used to be KO . Feel free to post your questions there. People might get opinionated on some topics, but no one will be mean because you are curious.

Actually, I'm going to move this question over there and sticky/retitle it, because I know you aren't the first person to have this question!
            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              can I quote this elsewhere? like on my blog?
              Yup. Just drop a penny on the table...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                I'm not Kemetic, so I'll leave that for the experts.

But...

... for the other - imagine that you are meeting somebody for the first time. You bring a bottle of wine, smile, and act in a friendly manner. Unfortunately, you brought red wine, and the person you are meeting prefers white wine.

Treat "the Gods" the same way. Expect reasonable behavior, and, if you don't get it, flip 'em the bird and go somewhere else.
                Thank you, that clears it up a lot for me.
                -River <3

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, Anu...

as for the OP, (its a subforum under Pagan Discussion)--its basically just Egyptian Paganism, of which there are a few traditions (like Kemetic Orthodoxy (KO) or Tameran Wicca...and even modern Atenism).

The section isn't very big, or only active Kemetic Pagan is Gleb, though a couple members are knowlegable, and a non-active member that still pops in from time to time used to be KO . Feel free to post your questions there. People might get opinionated on some topics, but no one will be mean because you are curious.

Actually, I'm going to move this question over there and sticky/retitle it, because I know you aren't the first person to have this question!
                Oh, thank you thank you thank you! I just floated over there and it has so much helpful information!! Eh, sorry I posted in the wrong section, I had no idea where to put it so I took a guess, heheh.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
                Here are two organisations: cesidaho.org and kemet.org (I haven't been here long enough myself to be allowed to post proper links). Which you'll prefer is a matter for you.

As for "doing it wrong", over the centuries people did it it many ways. Any sincere approach to a God is welcome. Take names, for example. Over the years, Isis was addressed as Rusat (Old Kingdom), Yusat (Middle Kingdom), Usah (late New Kingdom), and Esi (by Cleopatra). And then there's Isis for Greeks and Romans and Wusa in the Sudan. None of that was doing it wrong: she knew when people were worshiping her - it goes with being a Goddess.

The literature of Egypt is obviously concerned with temple rituals, but archeology shows us what happened in the home. There would be a small altar, with statues of national or local Gods, busts of ancestors, an incense burner, a lamp, and vessels for offerings of bread and for pouring libations. Like the Indians and Chinese today, they offered food to the Gods and then ate it themselves as a way of receiving a divine blessing.
                Thank you for the links, I'll definitley look at those! And as for what you said about my second question, thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot better.

-River
                Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

Lol, Anu...

as for the OP, we have a Egyptian/Kemetic section of the forum (its a subforum under Pagan Discussion)--its basically just Egyptian Paganism, of which there are a few traditions (like Kemetic Orthodoxy (KO) or Tameran Wicca...and even modern Atenism).

I actually never understood what was Tameran Wicca ever about.. I'll be glad to have some guidance here.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                    I actually never understood what was Tameran Wicca ever about.. I'll be glad to have some guidance here.
                    I won't claim to be an expert on it (or even that knowledgeable), but I do know Tameran Wicca is a form of Wicca that incorporates Kemetic deities and practices.

Comment

Originally posted by LearningMan View Post
                      I won't claim to be an expert on it (or even that knowledgeable), but I do know Tameran Wicca is a form of Wicca that incorporates Kemetic deities and practices.
                      Oh, well that explains pretty much.. Thanks.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Oh, well that explains pretty much.. Thanks.
                        It really depends on the practitioner.

I've known exactly three people that claim Tameran Wicca as their tradition--one practices Wicca with Egyptian deities, another worships the Egyptian gods using contemporary Pagan practices, and the third practices more of a synchretic blend

Either way, you might find this interesting: http://www.wiccantogether.com/profil...-tameran-wicca

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

Re: New to Kemetic Paganism? Basic info for newbies!

I can't believe I just noticed this.. Thanks for the link, Thal!
                          However, the article leads me to another question. Just because I'm someone who prefers clear definitions. What's the difference between a Tameran Wiccan and a Kemetic, then? The only official Kemetic path is KO, but I don't see myself as someone who follows their "rules of the game". If I had to compare this to Judaism (because it's easier for me), then I'm like the "Masorati" people. Those who celebrate the holidays and believe in the basic codex of the religion. In my case, the 42 purifications of Ma'at.

Comment

I can't believe I just noticed this.. Thanks for the link, Thal!
                            However, the article leads me to another question. Just because I'm someone who prefers clear definitions. What's the difference between a Tameran Wiccan and a Kemetic, then? The only official Kemetic path is KO, but I don't see myself as someone who follows their "rules of the game". If I had to compare this to Judaism (because it's easier for me), then I'm like the "Masorati" people. Those who celebrate the holidays and believe in the basic codex of the religion. In my case, the 42 purifications of Ma'at.

Imo, it's the Wiccan part.....either their ritual structure or beliefs with Egyptian deities or a hybrid system

~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

sigpic

Comment

Oh I see. Thanks, Thal! Whoot!

Comment

Working...
                              X