Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question about what gods to worship....... and altars...........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question about what gods to worship....... and altars...........

Hi again! Yay, more questions. I'm trying to make these more specific to clear up my biggest questions........
    For kemetics, how do you know which gods to worship, and what do you include in a kemetic altar?

I mean, do you pray to the gods you connect to, and find the gods you connect to through meditation?? Or....
    Can someone just explain it? I can't really put this into words.........

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help a clueless newbie!
    Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Re: I have a question about what gods to worship....... and altars...........

I can't speak for everyone, but in my experience, I worship the gods that call out to me. I can't explain how to tell what is/isn't a call, you just sort of know. Try searching up a list of the ancient Egyptian gods. If one of the names resonates with you more than the others, I would suggest doing some research on that god and make an offering to him/her. Try to figure out what he/she wants. Also, remember that the Egyptian gods are not the only ones out there. If none of the Egyptian gods call out to you, feel free to look up gods from other pantheons. If none of this works, meditating on it would be a good idea.
    As for the shrine, there are no explicit rules stating what can/can't be on a shrine. I would recommend placing a representation of the gods you worship on the shrine, such as a statue. I also add small items representing aspects of the gods onto the shrine (such as a model of the moon for Khonsu). But above all, ask the gods what they want and if they don't mind sharing a shrine. Also, remember that you don't need fancy or ostentatious tools on your shrine. As long as you pray to the gods with sincerity, that's infinitely better than solid gold shrine decorations.

Comment

Thank you SO much. What you wrote really clarified things for me, you have no idea. This helped me more than I can tell you, trust me. Thank you so much. I know a lot about Egyptian legend and lore, and of it's gods, and almost all myths and names I have seen have resonated within me. But again, this really clarified things more then I can express, thank you so much.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by LearningMan View Post
      I can't speak for everyone, but in my experience, I worship the gods that call out to me. I can't explain how to tell what is/isn't a call, you just sort of know. Try searching up a list of the ancient Egyptian gods. If one of the names resonates with you more than the others, I would suggest doing some research on that god and make an offering to him/her. Try to figure out what he/she wants. Also, remember that the Egyptian gods are not the only ones out there. If none of the Egyptian gods call out to you, feel free to look up gods from other pantheons. If none of this works, meditating on it would be a good idea.
      As for the shrine, there are no explicit rules stating what can/can't be on a shrine. I would recommend placing a representation of the gods you worship on the shrine, such as a statue. I also add small items representing aspects of the gods onto the shrine (such as a model of the moon for Khonsu). But above all, ask the gods what they want and if they don't mind sharing a shrine. Also, remember that you don't need fancy or ostentatious tools on your shrine. As long as you pray to the gods with sincerity, that's infinitely better than solid gold shrine decorations.
      Thank you SO much. What you wrote really clarified things for me, you have no idea. This helped me more than I can tell you, trust me. Thank you so much. I know a lot about Egyptian legend and lore, and of it's gods, and almost all myths and names I have seen have resonated within me. But again, this really clarified things more then I can express, thank you so much.

Comment

Like LearningMan pointed out, one possibility is to worship gods, or in Kemetic language Netjeru that reach out to you. Of course you can refuse if you don't want to, but do your best to do it politely so you won't offend the god/dess. I'm sure none of us wants to have a deity angry with us. Excellent advice there, LM!

As for my own opinion, I think that you can ask a deity for help if you need it (the help, I mean). For instance, due to some events in the past, I decided to work with lord Djehuty and later on with lady Bast.
        I suggest that you do some research about the Kemetic Netjer so you have a good idea of who they are and what their role in the Kemetic culture is.
        For instance, many confuse between Mafdet and Bast.
        As for the shrine - I suggest putting it in an area where it won't be hurt anyhow. That's why a place where people walk won't be so good. And of course try to keep it away from the bathroom or restroom. Of course you can also look up in the internet what offerings your god/desses like. Another option is feeling or trying to understand what your deities want from you specifically.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

So, I'm not Kemetic, but I am Pagan, and the process of finding deities to worship is pretty standard across the board. My recommendation (if you are looking for a patron deity type situation) is similar, but a bit different...

1) Read the mythology. The story of the gods is where you will find their personality. You will have a far better idea that Aset (Isis) or Ma'at is the way to go over Anubis (or vice versa) from reading their stories, than from just looking at a list of names and attributes.
          2) Do a little research into how the deities you've chosen were specifically worshipped, as well as their likes and dislikes, etc. If you have several interests, this may help you narrow it down. I recommend approaching one deity at a time--you are attempting to build a relationship, not go speed dating.
          3) Plan out how you would make an offering and meditate on your choice, and invite this deity to be part of your practice. You can do this as formally or informally as you would like and feel that the deity would appreciate. Gather whatever materials you need to perform this ritual.
          4) Do it.
          5) Wait.
          6) Try again or move on, or progress to regular worship of the deity. If the deity is also interested in you, you will *know*. If not, move on and (maybe) try again later. Maybe they thought you weren't ready. Maybe you subconsciously thought you weren't ready. Maybe they weren't in the mood.

Now, if you aren't looking to cultivate a patron deity relationship, worship whatever gods you feel compelled to. No one minds being adored.

As for *how* you worship...there are lots of (more traditional) ways--celebrating feast days or holidays for that deity, reciting litanies or prayers or adorations, making regualar offerings, meditation and guided visualization to encounter the deity, invocation (I don't recommend this one to newbies though), etc. What you choose is going to depend on what your beliefs and goals are, religiously. There are also less traditional ways--write a poem, draw a picture, grow a plant, etc, in the name of the deity. Sacralize your daily activities. There's a book, To Walk a Pagan Path, by an ADF Druid that worships the Saxon deities (Alaric Albertsson), which is has some pretty useful advice when it comes to how to *be* Pagan, regardless of tradtion...rather than read the book, I've blogged a bit about what I would call his "7 essential steps" to being Pagan...you'll need to fill in the details and do the research for your tradition, but its good advice.
          “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
          ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
          ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

One thing I'd add to what's already been said (which seems awesome, and thalassa has really made me want to read To Walk a Pagan Path), is to be ready to be flexible. I've had an altar to Bast for several years, and always felt a strong connection to that image and deity, but when I have needed help or asked for guidance, it's come in the form of Hathor. Who, when I was initially reading the mythology, I did not think I resonated with. Sometimes we don't know ourselves or what we need as well as we think we do. I'm a bit of a soft polytheist though, so take that as you will.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
              Like LearningMan pointed out, one possibility is to worship gods, or in Kemetic language Netjeru that reach out to you. Of course you can refuse if you don't want to, but do your best to do it politely so you won't offend the god/dess. I'm sure none of us wants to have a deity angry with us. Excellent advice there, LM!

As for my own opinion, I think that you can ask a deity for help if you need it (the help, I mean). For instance, due to some events in the past, I decided to work with lord Djehuty and later on with lady Bast.
              I suggest that you do some research about the Kemetic Netjer so you have a good idea of who they are and what their role in the Kemetic culture is.
              For instance, many confuse between Mafdet and Bast.
              As for the shrine - I suggest putting it in an area where it won't be hurt anyhow. That's why a place where people walk won't be so good. And of course try to keep it away from the bathroom or restroom. Of course you can also look up in the internet what offerings your god/desses like. Another option is feeling or trying to understand what your deities want from you specifically.
              Thank you so much, this is really good advice! This definitely cleared up a lot for me. <3

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              So, I'm not Kemetic, but I am Pagan, and the process of finding deities to worship is pretty standard across the board.
              1) Read the mythology. The story of the gods is where you will find their personality. You will have a far better idea that Aset (Isis) or Ma'at is the way to go over Anubis (or vice versa) from reading their stories, than from just looking at a list of names and attributes.
              2) Do a little research into how the deities you've chosen were specifically worshipped, as well as their likes and dislikes, etc. If you have several interests, this may help you narrow it down. I recommend approaching one deity at a time--you are attempting to build a relationship, not go speed dating.
              3) Plan out how you would make an offering and meditate on your choice, and invite this deity to be part of your practice. You can do this as formally or informally as you would like and feel that the deity would appreciate. Gather whatever materials you need to perform this ritual.
              4) Do it.
              5) Wait.
              6) Try again or move on, or progress to regular worship of the deity. If the deity is also interested in you, you will *know*. If not, move on and (maybe) try again later. Maybe they thought you weren't ready. Maybe you subconsciously thought you weren't ready. Maybe they weren't in the mood.

Now, if you aren't looking to cultivate a patron deity relationship, worship whatever gods you feel compelled to. No one minds being adored.

As for *how* you worship...there are lots of (more traditional) ways--celebrating feast days or holidays for that deity, reciting litanies or prayers or adorations, making regualar offerings, meditation and guided visualization to encounter the deity, invocation (I don't recommend this one to newbies though), etc. What you choose is going to depend on what your beliefs and goals are, religiously. There are also less traditional ways--write a poem, draw a picture, grow a plant, etc, in the name of the deity. Sacralize your daily activities. There's a book, To Walk a Pagan Path, by an ADF Druid that worships the Saxon deities (Alaric Albertsson), which is has some pretty useful advice when it comes to how to *be* Pagan, regardless of tradtion...rather than read the book.
              Oh, wow, I wrote this down so I wouldn't forget it! Everything you wrote was more helpful than I can express.

I've actually had a fascination with the Egyptian myth since I was 5 years old, and I've read about their mythology since- I know a great deal about it, but I could definitely expand my knowledge, which I plan to do.

Thank you so much for your help!!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Tahemet1491 View Post
              One thing I'd add to what's already been said (which seems awesome, and thalassa has really made me want to read To Walk a Pagan Path), is to be ready to be flexible. I've had an altar to Bast for several years, and always felt a strong connection to that image and deity, but when I have needed help or asked for guidance, it's come in the form of Hathor. Who, when I was initially reading the mythology, I did not think I resonated with. Sometimes we don't know ourselves or what we need as well as we think we do. I'm a bit of a soft polytheist though, so take that as you will.

Ah, really? Thank you for sharing your experience! This helped a lot- and yeah, half of the time I think I know myself inside and out then I realize I'm missing an entire part xD

- - - Updated - - -

All of you who helped me; Thank you SO much.....
              I was really really lost when I joined the forum, but much of the things I've already learned on here have cleared up a lot of my major questions!

-River

Comment

It's a really great place, not only a forum. You haven't seen anything yet.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                X