So...my friend's an idiot and I'm probably over my head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...my friend's an idiot and I'm probably over my head

There's a guy in my town who's been binding his personal demons to items...or something, no one's really sure...and giving them to other people. I don't think he's trying to cause harm, because he thinks it's safe, but he's also (as in the title) an idiot.

Anyway...

Long story short, I have now lost the game of hot-potato, and I've got a shattered music box in my possession. I tried to google what I should do with it, and google was no help. I've narrowed my options down to:

Salting and Burning it- because it's what they do on TV and I can't think of many better options

Throwing it in a river- which is where I threw the last thing someone handed off to me, and I don't know if there's an issue with having a small stockpile of these things under a lake somewhere (and don't ask how I keep getting these)

Handing it off to someone smarter- aka ask my local internet forum (that's you guys)

Literally anything you guys have to say would be helpful at this point

Re: So...my friend's an idiot and I'm probably over my head

When you say "personal demons", do you mean that he's binding parts of his psyche to objects or that he's binding spirit entities to them?
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I'm not really sure which one he's *actually* doing, but he says he's binding spirit entities.

Comment

Is there a particular reason for him to pull this stunt?
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

He has a track record of doing stupid things, and he's recently of legal drinking age. Right now he's coping with his addiction to magic, by using more magic. I've also heard stories about him trying to open portals for no discernible reason, and not being able to close them again, so this is kind of tame by his standards.

Comment

When you say 'because it's what they do on tv' are you referring to Supernatural?
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Mostly. I think they do it in other shows too but I couldn't say off the top of my head

Comment

Burn it. Bury it. Throw it in a random dumpster. Just get it out of your home and out of your possession. BTW, I use sage rather than salt, but that's just me...
                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                Clan of my Clan
                Kin of my Kin
                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I'll keep that suggestion in mind Rick, thanks. I keep replaying all these worst-case scenarios in my head, and I can't wait until it's gone and I'm back off to school

Comment

First off, don't worry about it. The only one he's likely to hurt is himself. If that's what he wants to do he'll find a way to do it. If he's your friend, be there to help him pick up the pieces after he gets out of the mental health clinic.

Second, better than sage, better than salt, is laughing. When he does something dumb, laugh in his face - let him know by laughing and watch the possessing spirit vacate his eyes.

Third, don't be an enabler. In order for him to run around "binding spirit entities" to junk, or "opening portals he can't close" he requires the assistance of others from whom he draws power. That would be you & your buds who freely give him your energy by playing along with his goofiness. Try suggesting that he get a real job. Reciting that one magic formula will make your energy completely unusable to him.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Throw it away. Things only have power if you give them power. Its sort of like...if I hold a rock and act like I'm going to throw it at your head, while I have the rock, I have the power (to aim it at you or not), but once I throw the rock, you have the power (to duck or move out of the way, to catch the rock, or to get hit with it). He's an overgrown child throwing rocks; throw them away. Anyone doing what he is doing doesn't have any actual abilities, other than the ability to get you all to take him seriously. If it makes you feel better, spray some salt water on it before you throw it in a dumpster, but ultimately, this:

Second, better than sage, better than salt, is laughing. When he does something dumb, laugh in his face - let him know by laughing and watch the possessing spirit vacate his eyes.

Third, don't be an enabler. In order for him to run around "binding spirit entities" to junk, or "opening portals he can't close" he requires the assistance of others from whom he draws power. That would be you & your buds who freely give him your energy by playing along with his goofiness. Try suggesting that he get a real job. Reciting that one magic formula will make your energy completely unusable to him.
                      You have agency here, not him. He only has the ability to do these things if you accept the premise that he can. There's a certain amount of enabling that goes along with being cursed or binding demons; these aren't skills that just sit around and exist in those that claim to have them without belief in them and in the person claiming to do them.

When he does this stuff in your presence, laugh at him and walk away, give him the strong message of "whatever, dude". He has no power over you that you don't give him. Disbelief is the biggest and best protection a person has from the deluded with power.

This isn't the movies--you can't have any more power than you have control over. If you think about it like water and a conduit, you can't suck water from a firehose unless you've leared to use a straw (not a perfect analogy, sorry)...and by the time you learn to do that, you've moved beyond the need to spit water on people to get attention and kicks.

And with the addiction to magic thing--its not exctasy. Unless you count narcissim as a magical power, he's not addicted to magic, he's addicted to attention. This guy has issues. Mental issues, not magic issues.
                      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                      sigpic

Comment

Technically you can get addicted to anything. But you guys are definitely right on the other counts. I'm hoping college in another town will give me enough time away from him to sort himself out.

Comment

Working...
                        X