Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...my friend's an idiot and I'm probably over my head

Jun 2013
    Phrase
    Roses are red, violets are blue. The next one is false, the last one was true!

So...my friend's an idiot and I'm probably over my head

There's a guy in my town who's been binding his personal demons to items...or something, no one's really sure...and giving them to other people. I don't think he's trying to cause harm, because he thinks it's safe, but he's also (as in the title) an idiot.

Anyway...

Long story short, I have now lost the game of hot-potato, and I've got a shattered music box in my possession. I tried to google what I should do with it, and google was no help. I've narrowed my options down to:

Salting and Burning it- because it's what they do on TV and I can't think of many better options

Throwing it in a river- which is where I threw the last thing someone handed off to me, and I don't know if there's an issue with having a small stockpile of these things under a lake somewhere (and don't ask how I keep getting these)

Handing it off to someone smarter- aka ask my local internet forum (that's you guys)

Literally anything you guys have to say would be helpful at this point

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Re: So...my friend's an idiot and I'm probably over my head

When you say "personal demons", do you mean that he's binding parts of his psyche to objects or that he's binding spirit entities to them?
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Jun 2013
    Phrase

I'm not really sure which one he's *actually* doing, but he says he's binding spirit entities.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Is there a particular reason for him to pull this stunt?
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Jun 2013
    Phrase

He has a track record of doing stupid things, and he's recently of legal drinking age. Right now he's coping with his addiction to magic, by using more magic. I've also heard stories about him trying to open portals for no discernible reason, and not being able to close them again, so this is kind of tame by his standards.

May 2005
    Religion
    LaVeyan Satanist
    Phrase
    A Clockwork orange

When you say 'because it's what they do on tv' are you referring to Supernatural?
    Satan is my spirit animal

Jun 2013
    Phrase

Mostly. I think they do it in other shows too but I couldn't say off the top of my head

Feb 2013
    Religion
    Old Customs
    Phrase
    Damn somebody's eyes

Burn it. Bury it. Throw it in a random dumpster. Just get it out of your home and out of your possession. BTW, I use sage rather than salt, but that's just me...
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Jun 2013
    Phrase

I'll keep that suggestion in mind Rick, thanks. I keep replaying all these worst-case scenarios in my head, and I can't wait until it's gone and I'm back off to school

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

First off, don't worry about it. The only one he's likely to hurt is himself. If that's what he wants to do he'll find a way to do it. If he's your friend, be there to help him pick up the pieces after he gets out of the mental health clinic.

Second, better than sage, better than salt, is laughing. When he does something dumb, laugh in his face - let him know by laughing and watch the possessing spirit vacate his eyes.

Third, don't be an enabler. In order for him to run around "binding spirit entities" to junk, or "opening portals he can't close" he requires the assistance of others from whom he draws power. That would be you & your buds who freely give him your energy by playing along with his goofiness. Try suggesting that he get a real job. Reciting that one magic formula will make your energy completely unusable to him.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.