Let's talk about motivation for a bit:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's talk about motivation for a bit:

Since I'm sorely lacking in the motivation department these days, let's talk about what motivates us, and maybe I can take some inspiration from all you lovely people.

How do you keep getting up, day after day, to do what you do? What convinces you to get out of bed in the morning, what drives you, what prompts you to accomplish your tasks, and complete your goals?

When the going gets tough, what keeps you going?

Mostly art.

Re: Let's talk about motivation for a bit:

It reminds me a bit of my thread "What makes you keep going". As for me - music, BlahTherapy.com and the fact I have some sort of mission in this world, given by the Netjeru that I must complete. The only last thing that motivates me is this:

- - - Updated - - -

My inbox is always open, if you want to talk, V!!!
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I'd love to give some uplifting crap. I really would. Hey, I might even begin to believe it if I lied about it often enough. You know me. I've been through hell. And now I'm here. What motivated me?

There is not a single fucking human being on this planet that loves me. So I just do it on my own. Because I love me. And I do it without spite and sheer joy of being alive. I find the smallest tiniest things to motivate me. I have no choice.

It literally is get up or die.

I tried that wanting to die thing for a long ass time. It was a waste of my time. It sucked me into a vortex where I was too apathetic to actually die, but too apathetic to actually want to live. I didn't crawl out of my hole. I sorta just...pushed slowly against the walls until I was outside.

*I should not be a motivational speaker.

Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Today, its mostly because I'm needed. I have people that depend on me.

But before that, because the alternative was quitting. And I'm a tenacious b****. Quitting means they win--the people that tell you you are no good, the people that think they are better than you, the people that make fun of people like you, the thousand small cuts to the soul from life, the jerk that almost hit your car, the creep that tried to grab your *** at the bar....

I refuse to let those people beat me down and win.

And the beach is my prozac.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Wine and horseracing.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

What kept me going was a motto and you are welcome to use it if you wish. Illegitimis non carborundum (Is it real Latin? Possibly not )
            And it means 'Never let the bastards grind you down.'
            And for me that has always been vital. Because believe me, some people have tried to do just that.
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I always find something to look forward to. It could be something big, like an upcoming holiday in another country, or something small, like binge-watching 3rd Rock From the Sun when I'm done my work. Sometimes it's hard to come up with something, but I always try. It feels like a light at the end of the tunnel, and it also sort of feels like a reward for pulling through.

Comment

For the longest time, the big long-term picture of my goals.

When that fails, putting more weight in the non-material things in the world (nature, taking the time to do "nothing" and relax).

Comment

I am resitting the urge to be emotional and what not. I've been in your shoes with the exception that I had an amazing ex (there is tons of sarcasm here) that didn't want to work and only cared about himself but I was young, dumb, and in love so I knew best... Yes I let myself be in that situation because I wouldn't leave for the longest time.

anyways my motivation is a combination of things. I motivate myself for better days. I know if I keep going it WILL get better. There is a light at the end of that tunnel. I motivate myself to prove people wrong. I will not loose, they aren't right. I am and I'll be damned if I go down without a fight. My faith also motivates me. I have said before that my faith is one of my foundation blocks and I mean that 100% I lean on it very heavily. I speak to my Gods on a daily basis. I believe that I am put in the situations I am to make me better and they might suck a whole lot but I know there is an end game.

This normally keeps me going but when I'm low and I mean really low I treat myself. I don't mean I go blow a whole bunch of money I mean I do something for myself. I take a bubble bath, I cook my favorite comfort meal, I will get pretty just for myself because sometimes you've gotta jump start that walk through that tunnel and making yourself feel pampered gets you started.
                  "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

I've been wanting to start a similar thread, only for concentration rather than motivation, but I have a sort of unwritten rule about how many long posts I can write on PF in one day (I've already gone way over my allotted time today ^^), so I'm yet to get around to it. I'm motivated in some areas, but not in others, and it comes and goes. I've found though, that working on my concentration has made me more motivated, although it could be that one of the techniques I'm using: specifically the meditation, is the main factor. All I know is that I'm packing in way more of those 'little things' now (I'm just scared this is only a temporary thing).

The trigger for me to start improving my ability to concentrate came from the fact that I noticed I would often get a foggy feeling in my head. I'd lose all will to do anything when it happened, and often just wanted to crawl into bed, despite not actually being tired. It just felt like sleep was the only way to escape the feeling. In particular, I noticed that I could stay on task for hours sometimes, if I was studying Japanese alone, but then someone would message me and ask if I fancied a little conversation practice and suddenly, the thought of having to speak to someone just switched on this fog and my initial 'sure, just give me a sec to get my headset..' was quickly followed by, 'you know.. I've actually just come over really tired, do you mind if I rain-check?' It was driving a rift between me and my friends because I would avoid interacting with them in case this horrible fog came over me again. When I was in Germany, I had no motivation and it was a very similar feeling; everything felt so heavy and hazy and getting out of bed felt so much harder than it needed to be.

I also wondered if my inability to concentrate properly was why it seemed to take me more repetition and boring drilling to memorise new words and grammar, when other people just seemed to start playing about with and using new language as soon as they got the chance. It was one of the uni students that come to the conversation group, that made me realise this; someone used a Japanese expression 'bibitto', and I asked what it meant. It was a more conversational version of the more textbookish, 'bikkuri suru' 'to be surprised'. The students hadn't heard it either, but then just 20 minutes or so later, one of the students needed to say they were surprised and she tried 'bibitto' instead of the word she already knew. I realised then that there was something slightly amiss with my method of adding new words to anki and drilling them in the comfort of my own home, days after the opportunity to use them in a conversation had long gone. I just couldn't stay focused enough to be able to do what that student did. I always had to fall back on the simplest way to word something, because that fog was always there to some degree or another.

What I was experiencing was most likely the process that Alan Watkins describes in this lecture, and triggered by my anxiety over not being good enough. The more I wanted to do well, the worse my performance was, and it created a negative feedback loop;

I added this breathing technique to my daily meditation. In fact, I was interested to discover that the book I'm reading suggests using this technique to centre yourself, although they tell you NOT to focus anywhere above the solar plexus, in contrast to Alex's suggestion to breath from the chest. I hadn't noticed before I read that, that what Alex is really teaching, is the importance of being centred. I'm also doing this before I study and definitely before a Japanese conversation. You can find breath pacers on youtube by doing a search, and I'll use one of those if I'm at my PC. So far I've found that the foggy feeling has lifted, and I definitely feel more confident and therefore more motivated, as a result. A lot more in fact; last night I went out shopping before work, and I never do anything besides study (and sometimes post on PF) before work. I'd already got my study for the evening out of the way, and I still had a feeling of wanting to be productive.. so I went in search of bargains and nice treats, so JP had less to pick up at the weekend!

It's weird. I thought fitting in a 20 minute meditation into my already rigid evening routine, would mean I got less done before work, but actually, I'm finding those 20 minutes have made me more efficient. If anything, I get a little more done, and at the very least the same as I was before, but maybe to a better quality!
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I have been down one of those deep dark Rabbit holes,spent about a year in the mental health system,that after sitting in a dark room with a gun in my mouth,and not shooting for some reason. How did I get myself back where I wanted to live?...Truly I have little memory of how,except when confronted with others in even deeper holes,I helped them out of their holes,and strangely I ended out of mine at the same time. I truly feel everyone of us has our dark time,some it was in their past,and for some it is yet to come. If you understand the saying,that tomorrow is another day,and things get better. That gives you at least something to seek after..I will be honest,not everyone wins the good fight,and in truth some die by their own hand...I saw a few of those in the system as well as people rising from their own ashes.

I hope things get better,and you find something "Special",I did,it was at that time I found my spiritual side,and dropped using drugs and booze.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                      X