Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is there a specific place or time you should meditate?

  1. #1
    Sr. Member CrystalJackal's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    222
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Therian/Spirtual
    Location
    North Carolina
    Phrase
    Take me as I am or get the hell out.

    Is there a specific place or time you should meditate?

    Okay, so my Aspergers makes me a sit-around-and-think-about-it instead of an oh-for-the-love-of-the-gods-just-do-it person, but I'm tired of sitting around and thinking about it and so I want to try and communicate with the gods.

    I know you do that through meditation, but my question is, can I just meditate on the floor of my room, or do I have to be somewhere specific and at a specific time?

    Um, sorry I ask so many questions, I've gone on multiple forums and you are by far the most knowledgeable (and the nicest.... I've had a lot of people be mean to me because I know nothing........)

  2. #2
    Cat Freak Gleb's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,938
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Location
    In my reality
    Phrase
    Rawr

    Re: Is there a specific place or time you should meditate?

    It's ok to ask questions - that's what the forums are for.
    As for the place of meditation - it doesn't matter, really. As long as you're comfortable and nothing distracts you, everything is fine. Perhaps you can try places that help you focus and concentrate on the divine.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."



    Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

  3. #3
    Sr. Member CrystalJackal's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    222
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Therian/Spirtual
    Location
    North Carolina
    Phrase
    Take me as I am or get the hell out.

    Re: Is there a specific place or time you should meditate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gleb View Post
    It's ok to ask questions - that's what the forums are for.
    As for the place of meditation - it doesn't matter, really. As long as you're comfortable and nothing distracts you, everything is fine. Perhaps you can try places that help you focus and concentrate on the divine.
    Thank you, that's what I figured but I wanted to make sure!

  4. #4
    Live and learn anunitu's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10,992
    Religion
    stregheria

    Re: Is there a specific place or time you should meditate?

    Some people might prefer a place with a lot of special objects(personal special) others just want a quiet place,and yet others like music from meditative to Metal...really what gets you into your own personal sweet spot. Making sure you are in a state where you can relax without being disturbed.(some people prefer to meditate in a group)
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

    all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.




    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

    my new page here,let me know what you think.


    nothing but the shadow of what was

  5. #5
    Cat Freak Gleb's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    2,938
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Kemetic reconstructionist, I guess... Solitary. devotee of Djehuty and Bast
    Location
    In my reality
    Phrase
    Rawr

    Re: Is there a specific place or time you should meditate?

    I second Anu here, special objects or things can influence greatly on your meditation as well.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."



    Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

  6. #6
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: Is there a specific place or time you should meditate?

    I don't think it matters where you meditate, but having a routine, and a regular place can help some people to get into the habit and make them more likely to stick to it. It is exactly 2 weeks tonight since I started setting aside time to meditate every day. I have always meditated, but it's been many years since I had a regular pattern of meditating daily. It was always more like going through short bouts of meditating, of meditating when I had a specific reason to.

    These last 2 weeks have really surprised me. I genuinely feel like my general well-being and in particular my mental health, has improved (although I've made several changes, not just meditation, so it might not be solely the result of meditating).

    I don't exactly have a special place, but one thing I've started doing is banning myself from meditating lying down in bed. It has to be in a sitting position. This seems to be the main factor that has improved my experience of meditation, and the benefit I get from it. I do sit in the same place though. It is just a space in the bay windows in the bedroom. I have a little cushion and a blanket on the floor there to use, and I light joss, so there's a little incense burner and matches there (poked under the radiator when not in use). It means I can roll out of bed and crawl over, and everything is ready for me. I'm going to get a little portable CD player for the space, so I can listen to my favourite meditation CDs. I just haven't had a chance.

    Still, I don't think I necessarily need any of these items. They're just handy.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  7. #7
    Sr. Member CrystalJackal's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    222
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Therian/Spirtual
    Location
    North Carolina
    Phrase
    Take me as I am or get the hell out.

    Re: Is there a specific place or time you should meditate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    I don't think it matters where you meditate, but having a routine, and a regular place can help some people to get into the habit and make them more likely to stick to it. It is exactly 2 weeks tonight since I started setting aside time to meditate every day. I have always meditated, but it's been many years since I had a regular pattern of meditating daily. It was always more like going through short bouts of meditating, of meditating when I had a specific reason to.

    These last 2 weeks have really surprised me. I genuinely feel like my general well-being and in particular my mental health, has improved (although I've made several changes, not just meditation, so it might not be solely the result of meditating).

    I don't exactly have a special place, but one thing I've started doing is banning myself from meditating lying down in bed. It has to be in a sitting position. This seems to be the main factor that has improved my experience of meditation, and the benefit I get from it. I do sit in the same place though. It is just a space in the bay windows in the bedroom. I have a little cushion and a blanket on the floor there to use, and I light joss, so there's a little incense burner and matches there (poked under the radiator when not in use). It means I can roll out of bed and crawl over, and everything is ready for me. I'm going to get a little portable CD player for the space, so I can listen to my favourite meditation CDs. I just haven't had a chance.

    Still, I don't think I necessarily need any of these items. They're just handy.
    Ah, thank you! I think I will probably listen to instrumental music while I meditate because I get so easily distracted....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Some people might prefer a place with a lot of special objects(personal special) others just want a quiet place,and yet others like music from meditative to Metal...really what gets you into your own personal sweet spot. Making sure you are in a state where you can relax without being disturbed.(some people prefer to meditate in a group)
    That's why I'd like to meditate in my room, there's a lot of items there that are special to me (Including my pets!)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 29 Oct 2014, 15:50
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05 Aug 2014, 09:19
  3. How to Meditate
    By Azvanna in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27 Aug 2013, 23:37
  4. How to meditate better
    By PhoenixMask in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09 Jul 2012, 10:06
  5. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 20 Sep 2011, 05:18

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •