Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone tell me what Bast's Egyptian name is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone tell me what Bast's Egyptian name is?

Is it Bastet? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere..........
    Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Re: Can someone tell me what Bast's Egyptian name is?

From what I understand, the change from Bast to Bastet took place after there was a merging of cultural groups, and as a way to keep a distinct identity for the deity after a previous merging with others, such as Sehkmet.

After a little poking around, it really seems to only matter as to what time period it was. Bast, Baast, Bastet, Ubaste.
    "The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
      From what I understand, the change from Bast to Bastet took place after there was a merging of cultural groups, and as a way to keep a distinct identity for the deity after a previous merging with others, such as Sehkmet.

After a little poking around, it really seems to only matter as to what time period it was. Bast, Baast, Bastet, Ubaste.
      Alright, thank you so much!

Comment

Egyptian God names are a mystery wrapped in an enigma. The pronunciation used by Egyptologists is a convenience and, as one of them said, unlikely to be recognisable by any real Egyptian! We have the hierglyphs (consonants only), a few transcriptions into Babylonian cuneiform, names in the Coptic script (Roman period), and names borrowed into Greek. You can generally work out what the names were in Roman times, but reconstruction early pronunciation can be like trying to restore an aquarium from fish soup.

So, the fullest hieroglyphic spelling was b3sst. I'm using 3 for ꜣ which your computer probably hasn't got; it was originally an "r" which became "y" and was then lost in many positions, but the Egyptologists pronounce it "a" as a legacy from an early mistake. The Greek Bastis suggests the pronunciation in the Delta was Basti. Texts from up-country in the Roman period give Ubaste. So either Basti or Ubaste would be authentic for a late pronunciation. My best guess for the classical (Middle Kingdom) pronunciation would be Byistat. The Old Kingdom pronunciation would then have been Bristat. The -at is just a feminine suffix.

Comment

Ah, I see. I was wary of using the Greek names for the gods when I'm tying to honor them or offer something to them, as I was concerned some may find it offensive. Thank you!

Comment

[QUOTE=CrystalJackal;185895I was wary of using the Greek names for the gods when I'm tying to honor them or offer something to them, as I was concerned some may find it offensive.[/QUOTE]
            As I always say, they know when they're being called on - it's part of the job!

Comment

I always thought Bast was the original name. Like Munin-Hugin said, the change in the name came after merging different cultures. Though the "et" in the end signifies the female ending in the name as far as I know.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                I always thought Bast was the original name. Like Munin-Hugin said, the change in the name came after merging different cultures. Though the "et" in the end signifies the female ending in the name as far as I know.
                Ah, I see. I asked becuase I thought Bast was the original name, but I wasn't sure. I could easily find the original names of gods like Anubis and Hathor, but for some reason I could never find an answer for Bast and I never knew why. Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
                As I always say, they know when they're being called on - it's part of the job!
                True- Thank you!

Comment

Anubis - Anpu or Yinepu, Hathor - Hethert.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                  X