Ideas for offerings to Bast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for offerings to Bast?

Does anyone have any ideas of simple offerings to the goddess bast? I had the idea of a green stone that I have, it means a lot to me, and a purple geode that also means a lot to me...... what do you guys think?
    Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Re: Ideas for offerings to Bast?

From what I understand, there is a tradition of chewing onions for her. Take a look at this: http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bast
    Maybe you should ask her if she wants anything special from you.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
      From what I understand, there is a tradition of chewing onions for her. Take a look at this: http://www.wepwawet.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bast
      Maybe you should ask her if she wants anything special from you.
      Ah, thank you! Yay, offerings I actually have access to ^^
      I know, and I am going to ask her, I just wanted something I could offer up front ^^

Comment

I'd suggest honey from the aspect it never goes bad and the golden color, for me anyway, was suggestive of her earlier connection to the sun. You might make an offering of water as it was the source of life through out the Nile delta and the very calendar was based upon the triple seasons of the Nile, ie flooding, planting & Harvesting and dry period. You could also make offerings of the essence of your meal while consuming the actual meal yourself after waiting a short period of time.

But in part i'd say your offering would greatly depend upon which dynastic period of Bastet your worshiping and dealing with. Consider the 2nd dynasty Bast was very much a solar goddess and the Eye of Ra. The roughly 22nd dynastic period Bastet was more of a lunar goddess and had become associated as an eye of Horus I believe it was. Her connection to the name Ubasti closer matches the 2nd dynastic period than the 22nd and is as the city goddess of Baubustis (sp) so the honey and water matches both the sun and fertility aspects. Sometimes you'll hear about Paschet as a name but most people equate that as both a mis-translation of her name and perhaps a bit of conflating with Pahket who was a middle kingdom period goddess from around Memphis though similar to Bastet. Yet her (Pahket's) offerings during that were mummified cats and a cross between offerings for Sekhmet and Bastet as some believe Pahket is a conflating of aspects of the Upper and Lower parts of both Egypt and Greek merc's who were located around the area who brought in some conflating with Artemis. Due to Greek settlements around the delta Bastet also becomes more lunar associated due to being conflated with Artemis around the 22nd dynastic period.

You might want to check into Mafdet as well as the earlier incarnation of Bast assumed many traits from Mafdet. Not so much the 22nd dynastic period and later but the 2nd dynastic period in her solar role.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

In the past I've offered catnip, which seemed to go over well. Not exactly traditional

Comment

Originally posted by Tahemet1491 View Post
            In the past I've offered catnip, which seemed to go over well. Not exactly traditional
            Really? Wow. Well, I'm going to try offering tea and honey, and possibly milk depending, as well as a couple windchime bells, feathers, books, and jewelry. I would offer catnip but I have none and my mother would think it weird if I asked to buy catnip when we have no cat.

Thank you though, I will keep that in mind in the future!

Comment

I'm no expert on the likes of Egyptian Gods, but this lot are are and include "pretty things", so you seem to be on course.

PS After posting this, I found that one of her titles was Lady of Perfume, so that's another idea.

Comment

Working...
              X