Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I have to avoid the other gods that my patron god dislikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have to avoid the other gods that my patron god dislikes?

For example; I'm feeling drawn to Ares, does that mean I should avoid Athena and Hepheastus?

Re: Do I have to avoid the other gods that my patron god dislikes?

I personally think that is a personal choice.

Consider if your asking them to work together on something for your benefit and they can't work together at all seems a sure loose loose situation to me. Yet if you call upon one for say guidance on actual war then Ares would work even if you do call upon Athena separately to get some tactical ideas and discussions to go with Ares war in general. Same subject but two different approaches and discussions in my opinion.

That said though I think part would also depend upon what your patron places upon you. If Athena is your patron and tells you to avoid Ares then probably be better to avoid him if you want to continue having Athena as a patron. Especially if you want to have Athena as a patron and not have her slap you for ignoring her warnings and wishes on who you can or can not work with.

None of this even touching upon the notion of crossing pantheon boundaries which also can happen. I've heard people who follow Ares have had problems with followers of Mars as they both are war but very different about it. From personal experience i've encountered it regarding Artemis and Diana, they got conflated but very much point out they are different from each other.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

What do the gods themselves tell you? Do you feel drawn to Athena and Hephaestus? Some gods simply don't get along or work together, but that doesn't mean you can't have separate relationships with them. In human life we have friends and relatives who don't get along, but we get along with them.
      śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
      śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I don't think you should avoid them... Keep distance, maybe. But surely not avoid. Who knows, maybe Athena (for example) will help you in the future.
        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

This is something that I'm sure many Northern Tradition folks run into often. Loki isn't really the most liked or welcome of the gods, and I can see how it would be a little rough to feel drawn to Thor, but you are also working with the Jotnar. I say you can work with whomever you'd like, but just be a little careful with who you decide to invite to the party at the same time. While I don't think it will impact upon you negatively in the eyes of your deities, it may just cause whatever it is that you're working on to be a fabulous flop.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post

That said though I think part would also depend upon what your patron places upon you. If Athena is your patron and tells you to avoid Ares then probably be better to avoid him if you want to continue having Athena as a patron. Especially if you want to have Athena as a patron and not have her slap you for ignoring her warnings and wishes on who you can or can not work with.
            Pretty much this. If you're sworn to a Power then this is a conversation you should have with that Power. Some might be okay with it, some might get along with the entity you want to talk to better then you expect and some might answer with a resounding "Hell No!!!" It's a conversation you need to have with them.

With that point made, there is a difference between being a sworn represenative of a Power and feeling drawn to a Power. The gap between those two positions is right up there with the gap between, "Hey that individual is hot," and being married to said individual. Initial attraction does not equal lasting commitment.
            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Since the Gods you name are Hellenic, I'll give you the view of our tradition. We may have a feeling for one God, but that doesn't affect our worshiping any or all of the others. For example, in ancient times, everyone worshiped Zeus regularly, but they also worshiped Cronos at the harvest festival.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
                Since the Gods you name are Hellenic, I'll give you the view of our tradition. We may have a feeling for one God, but that doesn't affect our worshiping any or all of the others. For example, in ancient times, everyone worshiped Zeus regularly, but they also worshiped Cronos at the harvest festival.
                I think one has to really understand right practice versus right thinking though when dealing with Hellene practices. Under right practice what you've said is correct. The ceremonies, rituals, etc are performed and the practice is of higher importance than the individual relationship the individual has with the gods / goddesses or a given divinity. Under right though, as used by many modern practitioners, individual relationship holds a higher position than the rituals, practices, etc that the entire Polis would have participated in.

Granted with the Neo pagan influences of Wicca or other systems some of the rituals, ceremonies, etc of the new systems are tied to right though. Yet the Polis type rituals, ceremonies, etc have been dropped except for the more recon practitioners who tend to observe the older practices and concept of right practice. Granted not quite to the same degree as the ancients used but as close to it as they can get.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                X