Rosemary good for the memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosemary good for the memory

I spotted this article on the BBC site -http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33519453. It seems rosemary really is good for the memory. They seem to have been testing for the sort of memory you use when you try to remember to remember something (e.g I must post that letter when I pass the post box). Also interesting that they found lavender was worse than control for this.
    You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Re: Rosemary good for the memory

Lavender is soothing... which is why people use it for headaches and why years ago, they put it in their hats 'to comfort their braines...'
    But rosemary is the great herb of memory. Even Shakespeare comments on it in Hamlet.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I use rosemary for my son, with his ADHD...but more importantly, he gets a supplement with a ton of DHA/EPA and phosphatidylserine, as well as valerian--these latter two have a number of studies (valerian has fairly small studies) that support their use to improve symptoms (valerian specifically to use when the meds wear off in the evening to ease the transition off the stimulants, though it takes a while to start working at full force).
      “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
      ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
      ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

I keep trying to make sure I use more rosemary, but I just keep forgetting.

"The streams called Ice-waves, those which were so long come from the fountain-heads that the yeasty venom upon them had hardened like the slag that runs out of the fire, - these then became ice; and when the ice halted and ceased to run, then it froze over above. But the drizzling rain that rose from the venom congealed to rime, and the rime increased, frost over frost, each over the other, even into Ginnungagap, the Yawning Void. Ginnungagap, which faced toward the northern quarter, became filled with heaviness, and masses of ice and rime, and from within, drizzling rain and gusts; but the southern part of the Yawning Void was lighted by those sparks and glowing masses which flew out of Múspellheim. Just as cold arose out of Niflheim, and all terrible things, so also all that looked toward Múspellheim became hot and glowing; but Ginnungagap was as mild as windless air, and when the breath of heat met the rime, so that it melted and dripped, life was quickened from the yeast-drops, by the power of that which sent the heat, and became a man's form. And that man is named Ymir, but the Rime-Giants call him Aurgelimir" - The Gylfaginning

Comment

Groan! That's awful.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Thal - is there a good website that brings these studies together in a searchable way? I don't necessarily want to read the studies themselves but reliable summaries, referenced and with no woo would be really interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
            Groan! That's awful.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Thal - is there a good website that brings these studies together in a searchable way? I don't necessarily want to read the studies themselves but reliable summaries, referenced and with no woo would be really interesting.

Unfortunately, not that I know of. I usually sort through pubmed.
            “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
            ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
            ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Damn. I was hoping that someone out there would be doing the hard work for me!

Comment

Working...
              X