Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you offer your patron God(s) or matron Godess(es)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you offer your patron God(s) or matron Godess(es)

I'm curious to know what you guys usually offer your patron or matron deities and id like to know how you go about it :3

Re: What do you offer your patron God(s) or matron Godess(es)

I follow more of a Hellene practice so make offerings via libations, transmutations through flame or more of a Kemetic aspect of food having an essence and making an offering of the essence of a meal to the Kemetic (Egyptian) deities I honor. Libations are usually water, wine, milk, honey and occasionally blood. Offerings tend to be honey, eggs, fruits, blood, certain cakes or breads. On occasions it may also be something I have created to honor a specific goddess or god and I will commit it to paper and then burn the paper to have it released and carried to said deity. If to celestial deities then it is burnt upon a raised altar or platform, if Chthonic deities then it will be done in a depression or sunken altar. Libations poured upon the ground and into the earth for chthonic deities or upon the raised altar or platform for celestial deities.

For local land spirits and such I tend to follow more of a Native American practice of offerings of tobacco, and use things like Cedar as a smoking (smudging) and purifying agent though occasionally i'll use white sage though I dislike the smell of it.

Edited to add:

I should note that some things by tradition are only fit for the dead so leave those separately. Those items would be like eggs, beans, garlic certain types of fish or cakes that would be left at a crossroads or upon the entryway to ones home. Most often when I do such I try to find a crossroads where air, water and land all merge ro a juncture where air & land & fire are joined or Water & Land & Fire are joined.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I offer mead, beer or red wine. I will only occasionally offer a small portion of food like beef stew, pork roast or rib, and or a good bread or grain. The Aesir and Vanir like to eat and drink, so any good food or drink is proper. I offer a drink in an abbreviated fulltrui (“fully trusted one”) is fond of mead, beer, goat meat, hearty foods with lots of meat, onions, and garlic, but absolutely no cut or broken bones in the meat.
      śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
      śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

I offer wine, incense, and food on a daily basis to the Household Gods (Hestia, Hekate, Asklepios, and Tyche) in particular and "all blessed Gods". For festivals I add flowers, sing a hymn, and sometimes vow a donation to a suitable charity.

We don't do "patron Gods". As for "matron", I immediately visualise Hattie Jacques in "Carry on Matron"!

Comment

I generally offer my deities different things, with one constant offering: a glass of water. The other offerings include at least one fruit, with additional offerings depending on the deity.

Comment

I offer them energy and do them favours. My Gods have no interest in most earthly things.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

My offerings have generally just been food or water. It isn't a deity, but I do make monthly offerings to the local city spirit. It seems to appreciate coffee.
              "All right, new rule: no evil laughter before breakfast." -my mother

Comment

Work...I worship the bioregion, and she likes you to get your hands dirty.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I need to find a god of Anteaters or something, so I can make it a religious experience to stomp on those little suckers that just won't stay out of my house.

Comment

Ponders a deity who requires me to rid the world of Pizza one mouth full at a time and also needs me to do the same with fine brewed beer...
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      Ponders a deity who requires me to rid the world of Pizza one mouth full at a time and also needs me to do the same with fine brewed beer...
                      As far as the beer goes, Odin, Thor, Kvasir, and Saga would most surely find that acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                        I should note that some things by tradition are only fit for the dead so leave those separately. Those items would be like eggs, beans, garlic certain types of fish or cakes that would be left at a crossroads or upon the entryway to ones home.
                        I did not know this.. and left out an egg for the house spirits this morning. (-‸ლ) I thought they'd like it because it's from a friend's hens that live just 5 minutes from here. Guess I'd better go and change it..

Actually, I'm starting to feel at odds with leaving food after learning about the extent of our food wastage in developed countries. I haven't made any attempt to speak to the spirits and deities I work with, to ask what they'd like instead, but it's on my list of things to do. (I did think about leaving cat biscuits for them... they'd be gone when I came to clean the bowl of course, and there'd be no questions asked as to where they went... )
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I've started leaving occasional small offerings for the house wight. I made a tiny shrine on the back of my stove. I have a small stone; two small candle glasses, one for a liquid offering, one as a vase for a flower; a small tea light; a small incense holder. I leave fresh brewed coffee in a demitasse cup and/or water or red wine for my ancestors (which I forgot this morning ).
                          śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                          śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                            I did not know this.. and left out an egg for the house spirits this morning. (-‸ლ) I thought they'd like it because it's from a friend's hens that live just 5 minutes from here. Guess I'd better go and change it..

Actually, I'm starting to feel at odds with leaving food after learning about the extent of our food wastage in developed countries. I haven't made any attempt to speak to the spirits and deities I work with, to ask what they'd like instead, but it's on my list of things to do. (I did think about leaving cat biscuits for them... they'd be gone when I came to clean the bowl of course, and there'd be no questions asked as to where they went... )
                            Regarding eggs you really have to look to the culture and pantheon and it's perspectives.

Consider for the Greek (Hellene) culture eggs were seen as the potential of life or unrealized life. As such it was an offering that was for the dead in that they gained sort of a semi-life state by consuming the egg. While I can't prove it I also think it became connected to Hekate via the notion of the lustral egg and as a means of luring the dead away from the places where the living resided. So you had eggs being left at crossroads, or other places the living would not be found at, especially at night.

Haven't seen much dietary stuff so not sure if eggs were eaten as a norm though i'd think they probably were. But that also might tie back into the notion of Hekate and leaving of "Trash" at the crossroads as parts of a Hekate Supper or Hekate's Deipnon . So it would be the bones, blood,cooking juices, general dirt and trash from within the house and other things. I sometimes think the Strophalos of Hecate (Hecate's Wheel) also ties into that as as vessel that was filled with the trash and it would be spun about the head and the contents tossed away or actually lighted and consumed by flame as it was spun about the head. People talk about doing the dance but if you've ever swirled a bucket of water about your head you know the movement and balancing act is sort of like a dance to the observer. The same applies to a burning vessel where the air being forced into it causes it to both burn hotter and glow brighter and at night would leave a pattern that also would look like a dance movement potentially. So the egg shells and such would become part of the offering in that capacity as well though it would have diminished in its power and affect I'd think having the egg contents removed.

I know a lot of eco friendly practices advise against leaving any sort of food as it unbalances nature. I tend not to leave food as a general usage except on specific ritual or ceremony dates when it was traditional to do so.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I offered tea and water.

Edit: Oh also, I plan to start volunteering at our shelter taking care of cats as an offering to Bast
                              Love me for who I am, not for who you want me to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X