Thread: Getting in touch with your patron / matron Gods

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Getting in touch with your patron / matron Gods

Quote Originally Posted by Thorbjorn View Post
    That's probably the best illustration of my understanding of patron. As for me, I used the word patron elsewhere once and got my tongue stomped on for sounding like a special snowflake with a patron. A better word and idea is fulltrui (or fulltrua for a goddess). Fulltrui/a means "completely trusted". It's a god/dess one has utmost faith in, as a friend, protector/protectress.
    Well that's because some people just have a stick up their arse so the person they let hold the stick can tell them what to say to feel better about themselves.

Either way though, patron is an apt enough meaning if you are looking at the Roman model of patronage, though another similar model (though imperfect) might be the system of fostering during the middle ages.

Roman society also involved a system of patronage. Members of the upper classes the patroni offered protection to freedmen or plebeians, who became their "cliens." Patronage might consist of money, food, or legal help. Traditionally, any freed slaves became the cliens of their former owner.

In return, patroni received respect and political favors. During the empire, cliens were required to offer daily greetings to their patroni, and the number of these greeters helped determine social status. On the frontiers of the empire, Roman generals served as patroni for the people they conquered, while Roman provinces or cities often sought out an influential senator to act as patroni and oversee their interests in Rome.

source: PBS
    ...fostering finds its place in society as a much altered carry-over from the past. Nowadays, it arises for a negative reason: the inability of biological parents to cope, for whatever reason.

Fostering in the past was the antithesis of this. It was a form of child-rearing chosen and upheld for positive reasons, moulded by culture. Fostering was the acceptance of the responsibilities of rearing and educating a child in accordance with certain regulations. The child was indeed the focus in this process, but the realm of fostering expanded beyond that of childhood. It was a lifelong contract. Intimate bonds created through fostering carried immediate and long term consequences. Fostering helped to mould the medieval child, and its enduring character long out-lived the medieval period.

It has been suggested that fostering in Roman times was the result of a taboo which forbade the father from seeing his children until they had reached a certain age. What is known for certain is that when Ireland emerges in the historic period (fifth century), fostering is a well established tradition in society.

Source: bodice ripper author (BTW, if her books are as decently researched as her blog, I might try reading one)
    Also, from a grammatical standpoint, its patronus (plural, patroni), patrona (plural, patronae) in the Latin, not matron...so no matter what language you look at, matron is wrong. Even the dictionary says its patroness.

...I feel a ranting blog post coming on
    Last edited by thalassa; 28 Jul 2015 at 14:25.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2014
    Religion
    Hinduism with a dash of Heathenry

Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post
    Well that's because some people just have a stick up their arse so the person they let hold the stick can tell them what to say to feel better about themselves.

Either way though, patron is an apt enough meaning if you are looking at the Roman model of patronage, though another similar model (though imperfect) might be the system of fostering during the middle ages.
    As usual, I do not disagree with you. I'm just gun-shy now and try to choose my words carefully.
    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Oct 2010
    Religion
    stregheria

Oh darn,gonna go find some shelter cause Thal gonna go into pontificating mode,and the truths gonna be coming hot and heavy....
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=186&dateline=1330020104

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

May 2013
    Religion
    Shamanic Practitioner & Green / Hedge Witch with Hellenic leanings
    Phrase
    Can't never did nothing till it tried!

Also, from a grammatical standpoint, its patronus (plural, patroni), patrona (plural, patronae) in the Latin, not matron...so no matter what language you look at, matron is wrong. Even the dictionary says its patroness.

I think fostering also crosses over into the apprentice agreements that resulted in young children being taken in and raised within a practice by a craftsman's family. Many times starting at a very young age and continuing well into adulthood. I vaguely recall some references to it in early Europe but know it was still in practice during the colonial period of America and even unto the early 1900's in places.

I used to bring up the patron / matron thing and usually had people respond with the argument of the patriarchal & matriarchal thoughts as to using Matron. Even got banned from a few sites because of it. Told truth and accuracy didn't matter as long as the person was happy about their choice. Bugs me to no end know but I usually just make a statement now and move on. Then sit back and watch the people who continue to use "Matron" to describe their relationship to a goddess.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Quote Originally Posted by anunitu View Post
    Oh darn,gonna go find some shelter cause Thal gonna go into pontificating mode,and the truths gonna be coming hot and heavy....

How about if I start with the truth of my own hypocrisy?

(snip)

Yup, I definitely have a stick up my rear end on improper usage of words.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible