What afterlife awaits me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What afterlife awaits me?

If I believe in and appreciate all of the pantheons, then what afterlife would most likely await me? I haven't settled on a pantheon and I'm not sure if I will. But I'm leaning more toward the Greek lords

Re: What afterlife awaits me?

I would even begin to advise on this one. I would say though that Greek depends upon many things and what period your looking at. Funeral and death rites changed quite a bit over time.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I often hope that with death comes the ability to float around the universe and just observe things without being restricted by bodily requirements (like breathing in oceanic trenches, for example). I'll find out one day.

But not knowing enough about the various pantheons and their afterlife lore, I couldn't really begin to come up with an answer to your question. There are a lot of different theories regarding what the afterlife is. Is it a specific realm/land we all go to after we pass (as long as we did right in life) where we are reunited with our loved ones and live in a kind of paradise? Is it a processional space that forces us to confront, resolve, and remove our issues so we may pass into a higher purity and "undo" all the damages in life? Is it nothingness? Is it <insert whatever theological pondering strikes your fancy>?

It's hard to say. I'm just living life for what it is now, and not for what may or may not be on the other side of it. But that's just me.

Comment

I'm pretty much of the same POV towards specific afterlifes as I am the Christian one.

If you are a decent human being and do your best to deal fairly with others (and yourself), to practice compassion with them (and your self), in a way that does its best to mitigate harm to the innocent (human and non), then you should go to a decent afterlife. If you don't because they have some quirky rules, then t'hell with 'em, they aren't worthy of worship.

IMO: I don't believe in an afterlife. When we die, we die. Our consciousness either dies with us, or becomes so expansive that we cease to be (I tend to think the latter)--there is an energy in being what we are, that goes back into the universe at an atomic level. What you are remains with your friends and family. And our physical bodies (unless they are oh-so-unnaturally enbalmed and interred in a metal box somewhere) return to the elements from which they came--Carbon, Oxygen, and Diydrogen Monoxide (hmmm...earth, air, water...and energy makes fire), among others. Maybe, very remote maybe, maybe our consciousness remains intact and goes into the developing body and there's a sort of reincarnation, but I wouldn't count on it. And as for an actual after-life place...we can recreate visions of the afterlife in a lab using electrodes applied to specific regions of the brain...parsimony (Occam's Razor) makes it far more likely that we see woowoo and interpret it in the cultural framework of which we have been raised to believe in the aftermath of the brain's own electrical storm that comes with near death experiences, drugs (legal or otherwise), or siezures, etc.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Personally, I believe in reincarnation. But to be honest, whichever pantheon we believe in, doesn't mean their followers got the afterlife right. The gods - whichever, whoever they may be - might be horrified at their teachings.
          So I wouldn't worry too much. Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. Any god or goddess worth their salt should look after us.
          And if they don't... well I won't be bothering with them next time round...
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

What Thalassa said - same for me, although, as a fantasy, I find Ljubezen's concept very attractive...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
            X