[IC] Imperial Cult Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[IC] Imperial Cult Thread

This is a thread that I am starting as a place to give people an easy place to search for answers and discussions about the Imperial Cult for actual adherents. Yes, the religion does borrow quite a bit from the "Imperial Cult" featured in the Warhammer 40k universe.

The basic tenet of our religion is very simple and extremely straightforward: work to serve the Emperor and work for the betterment of mankind.

Please direct all questions about the IC that you may have or any discussions you'd like to have here unless they are extensive enough to deserve their own thread!

Thanks,
    Ecclesiarch

Re: [IC] Imperial Cult Thread

Very interesting. For about five years, I worked for Games Workshop and came across a number of people who had moved to take an active and real belief in the four Chaos Gods, but I'd never heard anyone having done so regarding the Imperial Cult ideology. Now I'm asking this question out of an actual curiosity, and by no means am attempting to belittle, criticize, or insult your beliefs at all.

Knowing the basic tenants, what is there to separate this from a non-denominational eclectic Christian faith? It appears to me that they are pretty much the same, with the monotheistic veneration of a masculine divinity, and is focused upon creating a better world through Him.

Comment

Who is your emperor again?
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Hello. Beyond what you have pointed out (Non-denominational eclectic Christian faith), I see the two as quite different. Yes, I admit that when put that way they do seem quite similar and one could be hard put to attest to any differences. Though, I will attempt to list what I see as some of the fundamental differences.

• We do not believe every human being is a sinner simply because they’re a human.
        • We are all equal (As long as heresy, mutation (To a wildly abnormal degree) isn’t present); Race, sexual orientation, age, gender, or anything else will sway nothing, for all are born in the light of the Emperor.
        • Humanity is perfect in form, mind, body, and soul. Nothing can, or will change that.
        • The Emperor is not necessarily just one being (If that makes any sense). He has existed as a collection of people throughout the ages and will continue to exist till time runs still.
        • The Emperor isn’t creator of all, rather (In my eyes) a caretaker of the Earth and the chosen beings (Humanity).
        • There is not an official holy book that we follow. We act in accordance to what we know in our heart to be true/What would best serve the Emperor.
        • The Emperor isn’t absolutely perfect, but as close as one could possibly be.
        • The heavens (Space) are rightfully belongs to Humanity. It is our right, and our destiny to “hold” everything known and unknown (Save the taint of heresy, chaos, mutation, etc)
        • We believe Chaos is an entity that exists (Who works through agents, spirits, demons, heretics) for the sole purpose of the destruction, and ruination of mankind and the ideals of the Emperor (And by extension Humanity)

With that said, I hope this helps answers the question that you posed.

(Your question was just fine and not offensive in the slightest, please do not apologize. If we cannot stand under the scrutiny of others, then what are we?)

- - - Updated - - -

The Emperor, for lack of a more fitting term, is the hate, love, will, passion, endurance, knowledge, strength, perfection, etc... of humanity given form and purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          Here's the 40K God-Emperor of Man

"The Emperor Protects..." — The Lectitio Divinitatus The Emperor of Mankind, often referred to by His faithful as the "God-Emperor," the "Master of Mankind," or simply "the Emperor," and who sometimes referred to Himself as "Revelation," known to the forces of Chaos as the False Emperor or the Corpse Emperor, is the immortal Perpetual and psyker who serves as the reigning monarch of the Imperium of Man, and is described by the Imperial Ecclesiarchy and the Imperial Cult as the father, guardian a

I can't speak to what's different since this is the first time I've seen the topic come up outside of either 40K or jokes based on 40K lore.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

He has pretty hair. Looks like he could be Native American.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

He has pretty hair. Looks like he could be Native American.
              He is most likely Celtic/Semetic as he was born (If you could call it that) in what is now modern day Turkey.

Comment

So what's heresy?

Comment

Realistically? (Being blunt) Anything that goes against the Imperial Truth (What we believe in). Things being considered heresy: Chaos, denying the perfection of humanity, denying the Emperor, blasphemy against the Emperor his ideals (AKA our beliefs), things of that nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Adeptus_Ministorum View Post
                    denying the Emperor.....
                    Pretty sure this is most of humanity unless you're going with the 40K premise that the Emperor founded several religions in disguise before deciding they didn't work and to eradicate all religion.

Comment

Originally posted by Keldorn View Post
                      Pretty sure this is most of humanity unless you're going with the 40K premise that the Emperor founded several religions in disguise before deciding they didn't work and to eradicate all religion.
                      You would be correct, it is heresy, even though it is relatively minor and common. This heresy is redeemable and one can be brought back into the light from it.

Comment

Within the fiction: literally a man born in modern Turkey roughly 6000 years ago. To us he is more of a symbol of the human spirit and the collective will of mankind, essentially our guiding light. Basically he is a symbol.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Keldorn View Post
                        Must agree with Adeptus here. What we truly value is how a person is, if they decide to worship a god we believe to be fake or refuse all gods and still work for the glory and benefit of all mankind they are still adhering to the Imperial truth.

As long as they don't directly worship/practice acts that are detrimental to all mankind (manifested in the idea of the Chaos gods (which we all believe to exist)) such as overindulgence in pleasure or knowingly continuing to take physically deforming substances when help is available (destroying the physical perfection and sometimes mental perfection of man) they aren't really committing heresy.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          Here's the 40K God-Emperor of Man

"The Emperor Protects..." — The Lectitio Divinitatus The Emperor of Mankind, often referred to by His faithful as the "God-Emperor," the "Master of Mankind," or simply "the Emperor," and who sometimes referred to Himself as "Revelation," known to the forces of Chaos as the False Emperor or the Corpse Emperor, is the immortal Perpetual and psyker who serves as the reigning monarch of the Imperium of Man, and is described by the Imperial Ecclesiarchy and the Imperial Cult as the father, guardian a

I can't speak to what's different since this is the first time I've seen the topic come up outside of either 40K or jokes based on 40K lore.
                          Hubby's first comment was that he'd wait til the dude was actually around to worry about where to find the 10k a day to sacrifice.

...You should see my Sisters of Battle army MO
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                            Hubby's first comment was that he'd wait til the dude was actually around to worry about where to find the 10k a day to sacrifice.

...You should see my Sisters of Battle army MO
                            Sounds like a plan.

The Sisters of Battle are interesting. I think if I could ignore the greater setting long enough to actually enjoy building and playing an army in it (also if I could afford such a hobby) then it'd be a toss up between Imperial Fists, Tau and maybe the Eldar.
                            life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I have to say, I am torn between trying to accept that this is something that folks actually follow and believe, and wondering if maybe someone just drank too much of the GW cool-aid. Now, I'm going to approach it from the first stance, because to do otherwise is disrespectful if in fact, that is the case.

What you mentioned strikes even closer of a chord to many of the things that I have heard Christians say in the past. Specifically the part about human dominion over all, and the concept if "if you're not with us, you're wrong". We do not lay claim to any such ownership or possession of anything, including space, nor are we a perfect creation. Through upheaval, conflict, and chaos, the world as we k ow it was able to become what it is, for good or ill. It is not an evil, destructive force as you claim, but a catalyst for change and invention, an important and necessary fact of existance.

I'll stick to my tyranids, though the way the company has decided to run itself over the past ten years, they'll be lucky if they make it another ten.

Comment

Working...
                              X