Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Snake- A symbol of good or of evil? What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Snake- A symbol of good or of evil? What do you think?

Originally posted by CrystalJackal View Post
    Right, becuase on the side of evil there was Apep, and on the side of good weren't there winged snakes that surrounded the sunboat and protected Ra? I could swear I read about that somewhere.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into that :3
    Makes sense. I don't know about WINGED snakes but I'm certain there were snakes that protected Ra. You know, Apep wasn't originally evil. He became evil after Ra created earth and the other Netjeru. Then there was no need for Apep who lost his role of protecting Ra from everything.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

To me snakes represent both good and evil. I have always been fascinated by them, especially pythons and larger snakes.
      -Jessica [aka Whitewolf]

Comment

Personally, I think the use of snakes to represent Apep/isfet is a poor use, because snakes have an order to them. They eat, drink, eliminate waste, mate, and die like every other living creature. I think a more appropriate representation would be an empty void, as isfet is not just chaos, but complete and utter un-creation.

Comment

Originally posted by LearningMan View Post
          Personally, I think the use of snakes to represent Apep/isfet is a poor use, because snakes have an order to them. They eat, drink, eliminate waste, mate, and die like every other living creature. I think a more appropriate representation would be an empty void, as isfet is not just chaos, but complete and utter un-creation.
          Good point. One more thing that came to my mind that can be used for snakes' advantage is their use in massage clinics. You come in, lay down on your stomach and the masseur, or masseuse puts snakes on your back. I haven't tried it, but the idea sounds interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

People said they had a good time with the snakes on their backs.
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

To me the snake can be both a good and bad symbol, like most things, it's all in the use of it.

Comment

I'm not Kemetic, so take this with a grain of salt. However, I don't really view them as good or evil. I see them as wise (close to the earth, bearing knowledge), as symbols of change (shedding skin). They can be dangerous, but so can anything. One of my exes had a pet snake, and he (the snake, not the ex) would curl up on my neck and "cuddle".
              “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                I'm not Kemetic, so take this with a grain of salt. However, I don't really view them as good or evil. I see them as wise (close to the earth, bearing knowledge), as symbols of change (shedding skin). They can be dangerous, but so can anything. One of my exes had a pet snake, and he (the snake, not the ex) would curl up on my neck and "cuddle".
                Wasn't the cuddling a bit scary? I mean the snake could attack at any moment. Doesn't matter if it's a python or venomous snake.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                  Wasn't the cuddling a bit scary? I mean the snake could attack at any moment. Doesn't matter if it's a python or venomous snake.
                  Isn't cuddling a dog scary? I mean, they have teeth and could bite you at any moment. No. He was a ball python (only about 3 feet long), and very docile.
                  “You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend.” -- Bruce Lee

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                    We had a ball python too...they are sweeties. If its capitve bred and you handle them regularly and you've fed them appropriately, they are extremely docile.
                    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
                    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
                    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      We had a ball python too...they are sweeties. If its capitve bred and you handle them regularly and you've fed them appropriately, they are extremely docile.
                      I'm allergic to anything furry, we were considdering a ball python. They seem so sweet, but I didn't really know how their temper actually is. They're not pets the same way a dog or cat is, but are they actually ok to handle and such?
                      You remind me of the babe
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                        I'm allergic to anything furry, we were considdering a ball python. They seem so sweet, but I didn't really know how their temper actually is. They're not pets the same way a dog or cat is, but are they actually ok to handle and such?
                        The one my ex had was captive bred, and very tame. He did eat mice, of course, but he was very docile, and "cuddled", like I said.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                          The one my ex had was captive bred, and very tame. He did eat mice, of course, but he was very docile, and "cuddled", like I said.
                          I didn't see that post! That's adorable
                          What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

from the snakes I had as a kid(Garter,and gopher/rat snakes) they are very sensitive to peoples mood. The Gopher snake I caught was about 6 feet,and fine with my holding it,when my Mother got near it(She was deathly afraid of snakes) it would start acting up,and strike me(Very minor bites). The snakes react to human fear and emotion I think.
                            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              from the snakes I had as a kid(Garter,and gopher/rat snakes) they are very sensitive to peoples mood. The Gopher snake I caught was about 6 feet,and fine with my holding it,when my Mother got near it(She was deathly afraid of snakes) it would start acting up,and strike me(Very minor bites). The snakes react to human fear and emotion I think.
                              In my experience most animals do this in some way
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Actually fear is a good feeling. It helps us. The problem is that people don't know how to listen to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X