Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How the swear like a Brit

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    Yeh,you down unders do have an edge..but it may be caused by all your Crocs and snakes and giant spiders making you a bit cranky..
    You know there's something special about a country when the Prime Minister can swear on national telly and no one bats an eyelash.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
      Ooh rep point for you! I've been pulling that particular phrase out for years now and you're the first to get it!
      Pfft. I also knew that one. :P

The aussie one that gets me is 'it's alright' or 'not bad'. HOW am I supposed to know when something is 'not bad', or 'the best night of my life' when the phrase is the same?
      “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

true,here if they even said darn,the religious right would show up with torches and pitchforks..
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

The aussie one that gets me is 'it's alright' or 'not bad'. HOW am I supposed to know when something is 'not bad', or 'the best night of my life' when the phrase is the same?
          In the US, "that's bad" means "that is very, very good," while "that's dope" means something is 1) clever or 2) stupid.
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Us Brits do a similar thing with bad things. 'Had a bit of a rotten day,' could mean my favourite cake recipe sunk and I was really looking forward to it; it could mean I lost three members of my family in a horrific accident. Although 'a rotten day' for a sunk cake would be considered overstating the case a bit. Tone and context are the key.
            You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post

Ya gotta listen to the inflection... 'not bad, not bad at all' said with an appreciative tone means 'that was pretty damn good'. 'That wasn't half bad' said with a surprised tone means the same thing.

Generally, 'not bad' is better than 'alright'. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                In the US, "that's bad" means "that is very, very good," while "that's dope" means something is 1) clever or 2) stupid.
                The first of these is either regional or situational. I can't recall using "that's bad" for that off hand.
                "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
                ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

true,here if they even said darn,the religious right would show up with torches and pitchforks..
                  If you ever have the opportunity to watch Australian parliament, watch it. They're like a bunch of teenagers slinging insults at each other... it can be really funny to watch. If you want a sample Google 'paul keating insults'... in his heyday that man could cripple you with public televised insults lol.

Comment

We have "Bad mama Jamma" we have stone cold bad ass something or other..and we also have the term Phat..that sounds like an insult,but is not,it means good..chew on that 'Mericans..

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                      The first of these is either regional or situational. I can't recall using "that's bad" for that off hand.
                      It depends on how it is said - it's easiest to understand when when the word "so" is put in front of "dope" - is the "o" stretched out, or is it said short with an angry tone?

It may be regional Detroit speak, but, since the rise of the glorification of ghetto culture, I figured it had gone national.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
                        Ooh rep point for you! I've been pulling that particular phrase out for years now and you're the first to get it!
                        Ta duck. Ta= thanks and duck is a friendly term of address in Derbyshire although as merely a Derbyshire resident, rather than a native I don't use it (that sounding like a numpty thing). It's quite funny how non-derbyshire folks will misinterpret 'duck', assuming it to be a diminutive used for women but its not, it's used equally between straight men of equal social status as well as for women and children as far as I can tell.

Now how would I say it in aussie? My years of watching neighbours and home and away suggests 'Thanks mate.'

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
                          Us Brits do a similar thing with bad things. 'Had a bit of a rotten day,' could mean my favourite cake recipe sunk and I was really looking forward to it; it could mean I lost three members of my family in a horrific accident. Although 'a rotten day' for a sunk cake would be considered overstating the case a bit. Tone and context are the key.
                          And nobody does tone quite like us Welsh. I mean, we're not ill, or sick, we're baaaaaaaaaad. In bed. Under the doctor. who put us on a course of tablets.
                          You need to hear it, really

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
                          Ta duck. Ta= thanks and duck is a friendly term of address in Derbyshire although as merely a Derbyshire resident, rather than a native I don't use it (that sounding like a numpty thing). It's quite funny how non-derbyshire folks will misinterpret 'duck', assuming it to be a diminutive used for women but its not, it's used equally between straight men of equal social status as well as for women and children as far as I can tell.

Now how would I say it in aussie? My years of watching neighbours and home and away suggests 'Thanks mate.'
                          Do you mash the tea in Derbyshire?
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Yes it was B. De.(not surprised with your old man eyes you missed it)

10. Numpty

An old-school way of calling someone stupid: You dim-witted numpty!
                            You know, anu, I finally understood something. Sometimes it's good not to know some words, such as this one. This way I won't be distracted from the main subject of the conversation!
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I've not noticed it. We definitely 'put the kettle on'. But as I said I'm not native and most of my friends aren't native so I only really meet the natives at work and out and about :P

Comment

Freaking upitty English and aussi intellectuals,always talking fancy and such..Not like us "Pure" working class heroes here in the good old U. S. Of A. (If nothing else we "Yanks" have a strange sense of humor)

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                                X