Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How the swear like a Brit

Another way to use the word Bollocks :

As a way of saying you're not going to do something.
    'Are you going into work today?'
    'Bollocks I am.'

Can also be used as a noun, often in a slightly threatening manner.
    *crashing glass, broken window*
    'Come here you little bollocks!'
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
      Thanks Corbin, instead of cleaning, I'm now going to watch every single episode of this.
      I feel for you.

I just spent an hour and a half watching those 5 minute videos.

I now consider myself to be bi-cultural.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Maythe View Post
        Ta duck. Ta= thanks and duck is a friendly term of address in Derbyshire although as merely a Derbyshire resident, rather than a native I don't use it (that sounding like a numpty thing). It's quite funny how non-derbyshire folks will misinterpret 'duck', assuming it to be a diminutive used for women but its not, it's used equally between straight men of equal social status as well as for women and children as far as I can tell.

Now how would I say it in aussie? My years of watching neighbours and home and away suggests 'Thanks mate.'
        'Cheers mate' would be most common. Or our mums might say 'ta, chook', which is pretty much the same as your 'ta duck' lol. A chook is a chicken.

I would then say 'no worries'. Which is something I say waaaaaaay too often in everyday conversation!

Comment

We use 'butt' a lot in my part of Wales - and it doesn't mean your bottom, it means a friend. So 'ta butt,' could mean 'Thank you, my friend,' or even 'Good bye my friend,' while 'ta beaut' tends to be used in the same way when addressing a female.

I suspect that buddy may have derived originally from the Welsh.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
            Freaking upitty English and aussi intellectuals,always talking fancy and such..Not like us "Pure" working class heroes here in the good old U. S. Of A. (If nothing else we "Yanks" have a strange sense of humor)
            Yanks. Bah. The only way that you, from Jersey, can be considered a Yank is by someone from outside the country. If you REALLY want to be a Yank, move north a state or two into New England. That's where the true blooded Yanks live.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
            I would then say 'no worries'. Which is something I say waaaaaaay too often in everyday conversation!
            I did a lot of on-line gaming years ago with a group from Australia, even had one of them come over for a visit for a few weeks. Because of that, "no worries" wormed it's way into my everyday vocabulary.

Comment

Working...
            X