Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help Making Wet Potions

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Re: Help Making Wet Potions

[quote author=KashakuTatsu link=topic=1210.msg24238#msg24238 date=1293065806]
    I don't use carrier oils. When using an oil I'll go and get them from an apothecary I trust to get very pure essential oils then mix from there.[/quote]

I use very few essential oils...I get better results from infused oils if I am using them on my person. There are pros and cons to each, but (IMO) you get more of the plant's overall essence and chemical make up with an infused oil than with an essential oil--the distillation process is harsh. And, well...infused oils require something to infuse them in, hence the need for carrier oil . Its just a matter of personal preference.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Wiccan High Priestess

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=1210.msg24316#msg24316 date=1293109862]
    I use very few essential oils...I get better results from infused oils if I am using them on my person. There are pros and cons to each, but (IMO) you get more of the plant's overall essence and chemical make up with an infused oil than with an essential oil--the distillation process is harsh. And, well...infused oils require something to infuse them in, hence the need for carrier oil . Its just a matter of personal preference.
    [/quote]

^This

I like to make my own infused oils as well. I fell they work better for me since I have so much of my energy into making them! Which reminds me, I need to get some made since now I have the PERFECT kitchen window that gets very sunny!

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Radical Pagan
    Phrase
    Get s'more toilet paper.

I like both infused and essential, myself. Like Thal said, they each have pros and cons. In my opinion, essential oils generally smell nicer than infused oils - I find that when I infuse oils myself, they get a "toasted" or "scorched" smell to them. At first I figured I was using too much heat, but even with experimentation with temperature and duration of cooking, the smell remains. Perhaps I should use a different carrier? I've tried olive, canola, grapeseed, and jojoba. So far the jojoba seems to work best, but I hate using so much of it at once.

In spite of that, there is something very satisfying about infusing raw herbs in oil. It gets your hands dirtier than does dripping essentials into a vial. It seems to be an intuitive thing for me - for any given operation, something just tells me that either blending or infusing will work better.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

[quote author=Clive link=topic=1210.msg24536#msg24536 date=1293161817]
    At first I figured I was using too much heat, but even with experimentation with temperature and duration of cooking, the smell remains. Perhaps I should use a different carrier? I've tried olive, canola, grapeseed, and jojoba. So far the jojoba seems to work best, but I hate using so much of it at once.[/quote]

I use sunflower oil, no heat, for the base of all my infused oils now...just infuse over time with equal bulk of herb (single or mixed) and oil. Some herbs you might have to switch out and infuse multiple times if you are looking for scent. Depending on what I want the specific oil for, I might add other carrier--depending on the carrier, I might also add a wee bit of the essential oil that either compliments or echoes the herbs in my infusion when I'm straining. Also, I keep the herbs when I'm done to use in the bath (in a giant tea ball or drawstring bag), depending on what the herbs are, of course.

Really, I only keep grapeseed, olive oil, coconut oil (awesome for lip balms), and sunflower oil on hand...anything else, I just pick up as I need it. When I make balms, I use cocoa butter, beeswax and sometimes shea butter. I don't often make lotions because I have to net-order e-wax.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Radical Pagan
    Phrase
    Get s'more toilet paper.

Good advice, thal, thanks. I'll have to try infusing at room temperature, I've never done that before. And, reusing the spent herbs in a bath is a great idea. That might also be good for making a cold water infusion of sorts for asperging. Thanks for the ideas.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Draconic Magick
    Phrase
    Ihanen guide my hand

During the alchemy class it was brought up that hemp seed oil has become a popular one. I use hemp oil (and all hemp products) a lot for things like dressing. It has a pleasant nutty smell and taste so it could be something to look into if you have herbs that would compliment the base nutty smell.
    -=Ex Ignorantia Ad Sapientiam; E Luce Ad Tenebras=-

My art and writing http://khaotyk-artwerx.tk/
    (whole site is marked adult, the adult and gore sections are in their own section so you can opt not to view them, adult and/or gore stories are marked with an *)

Jan 2011
    Religion
    I'm a lightworker. I practice: Wicca, Paganism, and I'm partial to the occult teachings.

This is something I would like to learn more about. All the crap they had us do in my chemistry labs always put me in mind of an alchemist. All elements have physical properties of their own, but when we add intent... Oooooo.