This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ultimate Disaster Kit

So...its that time of the year (what time? Hurricane time!!!) where we try to make sure that we have all our little rubber duckies lined up in a row...

Disaster kits are often what divide the "wow, that wasn't so bad" experience from the totally ska-rooooooooooo-ed (read that phonetically) crowd. Its the difference between having enough of your meds to last til the pharmacy opens and being able to patch up your boo boo til you can get medical help and not getting dysentary from drinking bad water.

The American Red Cross suggests at least 3 days suppiles for every person in your family (and don't forget Fido and Fluffy!); but it can often be longer before help can get to you. And, in a SHTF scenario, you might have a long wait for services like electricity to be restored.

So---whats in your disaster kit?

Share ideas or tricks or advice here!
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: The Ultimate Disaster Kit

Lots of guns and ammo.

Not so much for defense against people, although depending on the nature of the disaster and the duration, it may be necessary.

Primarily because the type of disaster I am likely to face out here in the boonies will mostly require protection from animals. Wild animals and people will seek out the same places for shelter, making those places somewhat dangerous (bears, wild cats), but also good places for hunting food.

Water usually isn't a problem here, as long as you build a fire (lots of wood here) and boil it.

An advanced med kit would be wise, but I don't have one...
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Some resources:

How to make your own dental first aid kit

What The Man says (@ ready.gov)-- http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit

The ASPCA's take on pet disaster preparedness-- https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/disaster-preparedness

Herbal first aid-- http://healthwyze.org/index.php/comp...t-aid-kit.html

choosing a first aid kit-- http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advi...taid-kits.html

first aid kid (this is a link for a wilderness kit, which I think it your better option in a disaster situation)-- http://www.wildmed.com/blog/building...first-aid-kit/

the super hard core Mormon plan site--- https://www.lds.org/topics/emergency...dness?lang=eng
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

There are only two likely disaster scenarios likely to affect me here -

1) snowbound. Unlikely to last more than three days. We're equipped for snow removal here, so the priorities are food and heat. Food's in cans and in the freezer, and a wood stove and wood pile are standard accessories in these parts.

2) something that happens somewhere else and disrupts food distribution. That's where hunting becomes a survival skill.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          There are only two likely disaster scenarios likely to affect me here -

1) snowbound. Unlikely to last more than three days. We're equipped for snow removal here, so the priorities are food and heat. Food's in cans and in the freezer, and a wood stove and wood pile are standard accessories in these parts.

2) something that happens somewhere else and disrupts food distribution. That's where hunting becomes a survival skill.
          Here we have hurricanes and winter conditions. We don't usually get snowbound, and whatever we have usually melts quickly, but we often have ice and that causes major power issues because its an old grid with few underground lines (perhaps this has something to do with the tidal flooding issues, but I doubt it, since there are only a handful of areas with severe tidal flooding).

Either way, since its urban, and since flooding is often involved (in a hurricane), hunting your own food isn't an option. Our family hurricanepolicy is to leave the day before a Cat 3 is predicted to make landfall. But even a Cat 1 can knock the power out in enough of the coverage area that it can take weeks to get everyone.
          sigpic

Comment

Mine would be - some plasters, bandages, polidin (against wounds), some herbs such as melissa and majoran, sticky materia, and some pieces of sash.
            Thanks for the links, Thal! There is a lot I can take from those!
            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Last winter I was stuck in the house for over a week, a couple of times. My driveway's steep and we get ice/snow. (Usually, it warms up and melts within a day or so, so it's kinda wasteful to get someone in to clear, but of course, if I don't, it sticks around! And it's very hard to get people to work here.) During Sept. I chop lots of green peppers to freeze in packets. I stock up on paper goods, and stay a month ahead on my prescriptions. I always have a lot of canned salmon, beans, etc. and in Oct. I order 50 lbs. of Buddy's primary seed mix, so we're pertty much set for the winter. They're good here in town about fixing power outages quickly. I do need to get a bird-safe space heater this fall, though, since the furnace isn't getting any younger.
              sigpic
              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                I always have a lot of canned salmon, beans, etc.
                Canned salmon? Please tell more!
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                  Canned salmon? Please tell more!
                  This is what I buy:

cansalmon1color.jpg

Not as good as fresh, but I like it better than tuna. They claim it's Alaskan wild-caught. I mix it up with chopped green pepper & a little mayonaise, and onion powder.
                  sigpic

Comment

Canned salmon is good,but my favorite even before sardines is Kipper snacks..Herring sometimes pickled.
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kipper
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
                      This is what I buy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4104[/ATTACH]

Not as good as fresh, but I like it better than tuna. They claim it's Alaskan wild-caught. I mix it up with chopped green pepper & a little mayonaise, and onion powder.
                      Nice. We have salmon paste being sold in some of the supermarkets in our city. Yummy.

Comment

I've never seen salmon paste. I like those kippered snacks, too - and sardines. My father used to love Vita brand pickled herring in cream sauce. It's sold in gladd jars. I don't mind it once in a while. It's sour cream/onion-y.
                        sigpic

Comment

Is not Lox a fish thing???and I would imagine very Jewish?

From Here Lox is salmon I think.
                          http://www.crownprince.com/images/002-500.jpg

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Yup, Lox is smoked salmon, a traditional Jewish thing. I don't care for it all that much, but I haven't had it in a long time....we don't have it here in the Ozarks unless they make it out of catfish LOL My father liked it. (He was raised in the Bronx, in a very diverse but mostly Jewish area.)

People here make jerky out of venison, which is pretty good. That's another good thing for emergency times.
                            sigpic

Comment

That and pemmican,also a dried meat thing.
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                              X