Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

The Sumerians, Egyptians, Greeks and Romans made beer from bread. It lasted longer and retained most of the carbs.
    The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
    I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Ok, sooooooo....apples and pears.

I went fruit picking a few times over the last few weeks and got a bit carried away. I managed to gather about 10 kg of apples and maybe 5-6 kg of pears. On top of that, my food co-op collects fruit and I got an additional 4 kg of both last week and 5 kg of apples this week. There are probably more apples and pears on the way over the next couple of weeks as well. I HAVE SO MANY APPLES AND PEARS!!!

I already made a batch of applesauce and I'm thinking about making some brandied pears and freezing some of the other pears in a sugar pack. I'll take a few of the more pristine ones and put them in the cellar to store for the next couple of months. Any other ideas of what to do with both of these fruits?

Comment

Hmmm... I love baking with apples I have a recipe for fairly healthy cupcakes with apple and cinamon I'll translate if you'd like?
        Otherwise, apfelstrudel I don't know how to make it, but it looks good. I don't know about pears though
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          Ok, sooooooo....apples and pears.

I went fruit picking a few times over the last few weeks and got a bit carried away. I managed to gather about 10 kg of apples and maybe 5-6 kg of pears. On top of that, my food co-op collects fruit and I got an additional 4 kg of both last week and 5 kg of apples this week. There are probably more apples and pears on the way over the next couple of weeks as well. I HAVE SO MANY APPLES AND PEARS!!!

I already made a batch of applesauce and I'm thinking about making some brandied pears and freezing some of the other pears in a sugar pack. I'll take a few of the more pristine ones and put them in the cellar to store for the next couple of months. Any other ideas of what to do with both of these fruits?
          Both apples and pears can be canned, if you have some jars and an oven. Or stewed (similar to making applesauce only you leave the chunks bigger and use more sugar) and then frozen. Maybe stew up some apple and rhubarb and keep it to use as pie filling down the track.

Or my personal favourite... dry them! I LOVE dried apple slices, and pears are also good. I've only ever done it in a dehydrator, so I'm not sure how well they'll dry in a low oven. But I assume it can be done.

You can also use apples along with other fruits for jam... eg apple and strawberry. I've never done this, so I don't know how it affects the amount of pectin you have to add, but I'm sure there's a recipe out there somewhere.

And of course if you could get hold of a juicer you could juice them.

Comment

I also saw something about pickled fruit, though I've never tried it (either the making or the eating).

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
              I also saw something about pickled fruit, though I've never tried it (either the making or the eating).
              We like pickled watermelon rind.

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post
              Or my personal favourite... dry them! I LOVE dried apple slices, and pears are also good. I've only ever done it in a dehydrator, so I'm not sure how well they'll dry in a low oven. But I assume it can be done.
              The apples, definately...the pears, probably (I've not tried it).
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                Hmmm... I love baking with apples I have a recipe for fairly healthy cupcakes with apple and cinamon I'll translate if you'd like?
                Otherwise, apfelstrudel I don't know how to make it, but it looks good. I don't know about pears though
                I'd love the cupcake recipe!

My boyfriend makes great apfelstrudel, so I'm sure we'll have that as well!

I may try to dry them. I only have an oven, but I'm sure I can find info on the internet. It's ok if I can't dry the pears, because I have a lot more apples than pears.

I'm not sure that jam is an option, because a) other fruits are not in season, so I have no access to things like rhubarb, strawberry, or pretty much anything other than apples and pears and b) we already have a lot of jam and we don't eat that much of it :/

Comment

Drying in the oven is pretty easy. All you need to do is set it on its lowest setting and keep the door cracked open so as the moisture bakes off, it can escape. If the door doesn't stay open on its own, you Han simply put a folded up towel in one corner.

Comment

I used to pickle oranges. And plums. Both were incredibly good! If you can find a recipe for either, do try them but remember to use white vinegar and not brown or pickling vinegar
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      YOU NEED WORMS!!
                      I started one this summer and love it. So much can go in that thing. I already need a bigger bin and it's great on plants.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                        I may try to dry them. I only have an oven, but I'm sure I can find info on the internet. It's ok if I can't dry the pears, because I have a lot more apples than pears.
                        If you dry the apples/pears, dip them in lemon juice so they don't turn brown.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

My mother used to make pear honey. It was like a thick apple sauce but used as a sandwich spread. You can do the same thing with apples. It is a water bath canning technique.
                          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Chickens ... Don't need many ... One or two will do nicely even if just for pets ...
                            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusphredde View Post
                              Chickens ... Don't need many ... One or two will do nicely even if just for pets ...
                              They make swell pets...

And they drop eggs. Cats don't do that.
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Roses and herbs love their poo ... And you can herd chickens ... sorta ...
                                I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Working...
                                X