Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I may try to dry them. I only have an oven, but I'm sure I can find info on the internet. It's ok if I can't dry the pears, because I have a lot more apples than pears.
    If you dry the apples/pears, dip them in lemon juice so they don't turn brown.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

My mother used to make pear honey. It was like a thick apple sauce but used as a sandwich spread. You can do the same thing with apples. It is a water bath canning technique.

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Chickens ... Don't need many ... One or two will do nicely even if just for pets ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

Quote Originally Posted by magusphredde View Post
    Chickens ... Don't need many ... One or two will do nicely even if just for pets ...
    They make swell pets...

And they drop eggs. Cats don't do that.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Roses and herbs love their poo ... And you can herd chickens ... sorta ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Copper Member
    Sep 2015
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE

Quote Originally Posted by magusphredde View Post
    Roses and herbs love their poo ... And you can herd chickens ... sorta ...
    Well, you can at least pen chickens up and still have happy chickens. I've spent too many years as a leader in too many Pagan organizations to think about herding cats.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Help! Got myself a big stack of dried seaweed. I asked JP to pick up some konbu along with a few other bits and pieces at the oriental supermarket. Instead he came back with what looks like a Chinese version of nori, only in thicker sheets and circular (about the size of a side plate). It's not as firmly pressed either so crumbles too easily for wrapping onigiri.

Any ideas? Besides crumbling it over rice, or just eating raw as a snack, I'm at a loss. It It's surely circular for a reason because its a wasteful shape to cut from sheets. So that makes me think it has a specific use maybe.

Also, got half a large bulb of fennel that needs to be used up. I've been adding it to roast veggies and stir fries but can't think of anything else to do with it.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

In Wales we eat seaweed known as lava bread. We mix it with oatmeal, make it into little cakes and fry it in bacon fat. Delicious. Search for it on Youtube - lots of suggestions there last time I looked.
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Jun 2015
    Religion
    Seeking a shamanic ancestor veneration path.

You shouldn't use chicken muck 'raw', it should be allowed to rot and become more 'soil' like. Because their much is 'combined', it is nitrogen high and can damage soil organisms and plants.
    I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
    Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
    But that day you know I left my money
    And I thought of you only
    All that copper glowing fine

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet

Quote Originally Posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
    In Wales we eat seaweed known as lava bread. We mix it with oatmeal, make it into little cakes and fry it in bacon fat. Delicious. Search for it on Youtube - lots of suggestions there last time I looked.
    Just had a quick look and assuming my seaweed is the same species from which nori is made, then it is of the same family as lava (they're both Porphyra sp.), so I imagine this will work! The videos I've found are using fresh lava though, so I imagine as mine is dried, it won't need to be boiled for so long.

I also won't be able to use bacon fat sadly. I'll have to experiment with various veggie options that are solid at room temperature.

I'll definitely give it a go though, so thanks for the tip!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?