Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 87 of 87

Thread: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

  1. #81
    Opinionated Rae'ya's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    2,377
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Shaminist Demonolator. Or something along those lines...
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia

    Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    Just had a quick look and assuming my seaweed is the same species from which nori is made, then it is of the same family as lava (they're both Porphyra sp.), so I imagine this will work! The videos I've found are using fresh lava though, so I imagine as mine is dried, it won't need to be boiled for so long.

    I also won't be able to use bacon fat sadly. I'll have to experiment with various veggie options that are solid at room temperature.

    I'll definitely give it a go though, so thanks for the tip!
    Have you tried rehydrating it? It might just go mushy, but it's worth a try to see if that's what you're supposed to do with it. Otherwise I bet you could do whatever you like with it... it'd be nice just crumbled into any sort of veg mix, pie filling or stirfry.

    Also, and the bacon fat alternative... I doubt you'll get the same flavour from a vego option. I'd just use plain ol' butter ('cos I love to fry stuff in butter) but if that's not vego enough then maybe coconut oil? It makes things taste a bit coconutty, but not in an overpowering way. It's solid at room temps and seems to be the latest trend in alternative diet fads at the moment (paleo et al). I'm not personally convinced it's the superfood it's supposed to be, and I have no idea about the ethics or sustainability of it... but it's an option.

  2. #82
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rae'ya View Post
    Have you tried rehydrating it? It might just go mushy, but it's worth a try to see if that's what you're supposed to do with it. Otherwise I bet you could do whatever you like with it... it'd be nice just crumbled into any sort of veg mix, pie filling or stirfry.

    Also, and the bacon fat alternative... I doubt you'll get the same flavour from a vego option. I'd just use plain ol' butter ('cos I love to fry stuff in butter) but if that's not vego enough then maybe coconut oil? It makes things taste a bit coconutty, but not in an overpowering way. It's solid at room temps and seems to be the latest trend in alternative diet fads at the moment (paleo et al). I'm not personally convinced it's the superfood it's supposed to be, and I have no idea about the ethics or sustainability of it... but it's an option.
    I thought butter might at least give it a rich fatty taste. I thought about adding a dash of spice to the mix, but not sure if that would be considered sacrilege! Coconut oil is an option too I guess, but I somehow feel the butter might be closer.

    I'd have to rehydrate the seaweed anyway to make the lava bread, so I was going to leave it to soak before I go to bed in the morning and see what I wake up to! Depending on how it goes, it might make a good alternative to wakame in miso soup too.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  3. #83
    lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,675
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan
    Location
    Germany

    Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    Help! Got myself a big stack of dried seaweed. I asked JP to pick up some konbu along with a few other bits and pieces at the oriental supermarket. Instead he came back with what looks like a Chinese version of nori, only in thicker sheets and circular (about the size of a side plate). It's not as firmly pressed either so crumbles too easily for wrapping onigiri.

    Any ideas? Besides crumbling it over rice, or just eating raw as a snack, I'm at a loss. It It's surely circular for a reason because its a wasteful shape to cut from sheets. So that makes me think it has a specific use maybe.

    Also, got half a large bulb of fennel that needs to be used up. I've been adding it to roast veggies and stir fries but can't think of anything else to do with it.
    I sometimes buy thick, dry seaweed for stir fries and soups. I soak it to rehydrate it and then add it to whatever I'm cooking. It's tasty!

  4. #84
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I sometimes buy thick, dry seaweed for stir fries and soups. I soak it to rehydrate it and then add it to whatever I'm cooking. It's tasty!
    Is that not wakame though? Would the form you buy it in rattle if you shook the container? Or is it pressed into sheets and toasted?

    I wrote a few days ago in the diet and spiritual practices thread I make it a rule to routinely eat seaweed (I'm kinda self-medicating with it but that's a different story). This is sometimes nori but I also do as you describe with wakame a lot too. That is sold as hard curly strands that are almost black in the dried state and not pressed together, and it makes kinda rubbery yet tender, flat leaves when rehydrated.

    The stuff I'm talking about is the algae that grows on rocks making them slippy at the beach so has a very different texrure. It has a crunchy and crumbly texture when dry so I'd rather keep it in that form in salad (I've tasted it and it's exactly the same as nori.. I'd go so far as to say it IS nori in fact). Stir fries though... I'd have to try both ways and compare I guess.

    I've soaked it and it rehydrated in seconds and was edible right away so doesn't need the hours of boiling the wild-gathered lava needs! I didn't have any oatmeal though so haven't tried the lava bread yet!

    Also, the water went pink! What? Why?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  5. #85
    lady sings the blues DanieMarie's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,675
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Solitary Pagan
    Location
    Germany

    Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jembru View Post
    Is that not wakame though? Would the form you buy it in rattle if you shook the container? Or is it pressed into sheets and toasted?
    The stuff I buy is in sheets. It comes in a soft plastic bag packed flat, like nori. It's just thicker. It may be whole pieces, though. I'm not really sure. We don't really have a lot of options here, so I just take what I can get.

    Edit: I do sometimes put nori in soups and stir fries as well. I just don't rehydrate it first. It's thin enough that it absorbs the liquid as I cook the dish.

  6. #86
    Supporter Jembru's Avatar
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3,477
    Gender
    female
    Religion
    Shamanist Witch with heady Celtic notes and a faint wiccan bouquet
    Location
    North East England

    Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanieMarie View Post
    The stuff I buy is in sheets. It comes in a soft plastic bag packed flat, like nori. It's just thicker. It may be whole pieces, though. I'm not really sure. We don't really have a lot of options here, so I just take what I can get.

    Edit: I do sometimes put nori in soups and stir fries as well. I just don't rehydrate it first. It's thin enough that it absorbs the liquid as I cook the dish.
    That sounds EXACTLY the same as the stuff I'm talking about then! I've just crumbled it into a stirfry and it's really good, but I was too nervous about adding the rehydrated stuff. I'll try it next time though for sure!
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

  7. #87
    Copper Member
    Reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    965
    Gender
    male
    Religion
    Arratu - based on Sumer 4500 to 1800BCE
    Location
    SE Washington

    Re: What can I do with....? The food waste reduction thread.

    Would steaming the dry sheets rehydrate it? If so there wouldn't be a water mess - pink or otherwise.

Similar Threads

  1. Food Trying
    By LearningMan in forum Hobbies
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 08 Aug 2015, 00:24
  2. Food Arguments
    By DanieMarie in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01 Mar 2013, 03:57
  3. the Samhain thread: decor, food, etc
    By thalassa in forum Catacombs
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16 Oct 2011, 16:46

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •