Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is "meditation" and how do you do it?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is "meditation" and how do you do it?

I think that is known as the "Be chill to the max dude,Be the wave" from the surfers book of really cool and happening stuff.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

For me, a big part of meditation and prayer has been to try to remain aware of the presence of the Divine and the thread of life even when I haven't turned my mind to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Anu, it's been a dream of mine to learn to surf!! I could definitely fit into that crowd !

Comment

I have always found music helps me, I usually find a good rhythmic sound in tone I feel fits what I am attempting to do and let my mind focus on the rhythm.

Comment

Only slighted related, but with this many people interested in Meditation, why don't we have a PF meditation challenge? Meditate 10 minutes a day, 30 days, or something?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
            Speaking of balance, tonight in my meditation I did my usual mindfulness stuff and focus on the breath stuff. Then I found a place between dreaming and awake. You know those "dreams" you have right before you fall asleep? Well I found a thread somewhere between that state and being awake. It was a nice tension/balance between nodding off and remaining aware.
            If you want to research that state a bit (and it is actually useful in several, like as a way to begin lucid dreaming), that dream state is called "hypnogogic" (when they happen whirl falling sleep) or "hypnopompic" (when they occur while waking up).

Most people go through it on their way to dreamland, but, generally, short term memory isn't working in that condition, unless you wake up during it.

Did you get weird distorted faces? They are common...

The Mystery of Hypnagogia
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
              If you want to research that state a bit (and it is actually useful in several, like as a way to begin lucid dreaming), that dream state is called "hypnogogic" (when they happen whirl falling sleep) or "hypnopompic" (when they occur while waking up).

Most people go through it on their way to dreamland, but, generally, short term memory isn't working in that condition, unless you wake up during it.

Did you get weird distorted faces? They are common...

The Mystery of Hypnagogia
              That's so cool ^.^ I'm not sure if I got quite to that stage by the description. My body felt fairly normal apart for my brain being half asleep. I did see stranger's faces and one I remember really well. I also remember being in a cane field that was partly harvested and seeing a dead body which my dream-self believed was someone close to her. I really don't know what I did but I know I wasn't asleep but it wasn't like my normal meditations.

Mindfulness meditations I can do pretty well, but this was something different and I'm not even sure if it's called meditation.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              Only slighted related, but with this many people interested in Meditation, why don't we have a PF meditation challenge? Meditate 10 minutes a day, 30 days, or something?
              I would like to do this. I need some accountability!

- - - Updated - - -

Corbin, also thank you for that link I'll be reading through that in depth.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, just wondering is the Astral body supposed to be absolutely humongous? As in so huge there is no way it could fit on this planet if it were matter... The back story to this question is kind of complicated, so just take the question at face value ^.^

Comment

There is a type of yoga called "Yoga Nidra," that specifically makes use of the hypnogogic state:

I have experienced this often when meditating to relax into sleep. I've never really employed this state for any particular purpose, but I enjoy the feeling of drifting about on the edge of my mind.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Yoga nidra seems also to be a label for almost any kind of body scan techniques nowadays... I tried to find a proper yoga nidra instruction on Youtube once but must of them were just generic relaxation tracks with new age music. But perhaps anything that puts a person into a relaxed state will do the trick.
                  baah.

Comment

Yoga nidra seems also to be a label for almost any kind of body scan techniques nowadays... I tried to find a proper yoga nidra instruction on Youtube once but must of them were just generic relaxation tracks with new age music. But perhaps anything that puts a person into a relaxed state will do the trick.
                    I'm not surprised if the meaning has been corrupted. I don't know much about it, though...

Comment

So, I looked up this page to try to find what is the practise of Yoga Nidra as opposed to the state of Yoga Nidra. Information overload! There is so much information. Swami J makes the point that Yoga Nidra isn't the journey, it's the destination. But, if you keep scrolling, there's a heading: Yoga Nidra Methods of practice. He does qualify the heading by saying
                      Yoga Nidra is a state of consciousness,
                      not the methods that lead you to that state.
                      Here's the page: http://www.swamij.com/yoga-nidra.htm#companion

Comment

Question to those who meditate - does any of you use some sort of incense or something else that spreads some kind of smell in the place you meditate in?
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                          Question to those who meditate - does any of you use some sort of incense or something else that spreads some kind of smell in the place you meditate in?
                          Yes! I usually use lotus when I'm trying to focus or seeking for knowledge and lavender when I'm trying to relax.

Comment

I think of using something that spreads the smell of the sea in order to relax. I just need to fine something like this.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Yes - 6 cats and 2 dogs.

Comment

I think of using something that spreads the smell of the sea in order to relax. I just need to fine something like this.

unfortunately, nothing really smells like the sea....seriously, everything that is supposed to smell like ocean just smells like soap
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X