Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is "meditation" and how do you do it?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is "meditation" and how do you do it?

I myself like Sitar music,and some middle eastern music as well, It helps me to find my space to meditate. There is music labeled psychotropic that I like a bit.

An example,most likely not for everyone.
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I like mixing some songs by Wardruna with Rainy Mood. It always gives me the chills.

Comment

I checked them out on youtube..interesting. One reminded me of throat singing.

Here.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Awesome! They are similar, indeed. I may use this video someday. It's very powerful.

I also find this song incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
            Question to those who meditate - does any of you use some sort of incense or something else that spreads some kind of smell in the place you meditate in?
            Not every day. It's cold in the bay window where I usually sit to meditate, so I'm sitting up on my bed with the duvet wrapped around me most days at the moment. When it's warmer and I can sit on the floor, I like sandalwood joss.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone.
              "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone.
                Gleb, since I can't help being a PITA, I find that I can't resist tossing this in -

Mediation is an internal event, not an external event. Every time you see a picture of somebody meditating, it will look like this:

woman-meditating-ocean.jpg

In reality, meditation should look more like this:

waiting-long-lines-aldi-supermarket.jpg

(The third person in line is meditating. Everybody else is being cranky)

External things, such as music or incense, may (at best) help you, but they are aids, and the danger is that they become crutches. Unless you re broken it is best to avoid getting used to crutches.

"Meditation pictures," such as the first one I posted create the impression that meditation is something special, is something seperated from mundane life, something that requires a juju space to do. For people who have this attitude, the actual value of real life meditation is lost.

Once a person has learned to do it, that person should be able to do it during a coffee break at work, while taking a shower, while pumping gas, and, yes, while wasting time waiting in line at the store.

When that happens, the value of meditation to the meditator - and to all of society - shoots through the roof.

Be like the fireworks - aim for the roof!
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Gleb, since I can't help being a PITA, I find that I can't resist tossing this in -

Mediation is an internal event, not an external event. Every time you see a picture of somebody meditating, it will look like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4695[/ATTACH]

In reality, meditation should look more like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4696[/ATTACH]

(The third person in line is meditating. Everybody else is being cranky)

External things, such as music or incense, may (at best) help you, but they are aids, and the danger is that they become crutches. Unless you re broken it is best to avoid getting used to crutches.

"Meditation pictures," such as the first one I posted create the impression that meditation is something special, is something seperated from mundane life, something that requires a juju space to do. For people who have this attitude, the actual value of real life meditation is lost.

Once a person has learned to do it, that person should be able to do it during a coffee break at work, while taking a shower, while pumping gas, and, yes, while wasting time waiting in line at the store.

When that happens, the value of meditation to the meditator - and to all of society - shoots through the roof.

Be like the fireworks - aim for the roof!
                  Sounds like getting your mind distracted from this world and go "flying" somewhere else. Some kind of trance at a minor level.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

The term some people used was "Spacey" for people who were not completely attached to the material world.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Sounds like getting your mind distracted from this world and go "flying" somewhere else. Some kind of trance at a minor level.
                      Actually, there are a whole variety of "altered states of consciousness," and, although most people aren't aware of it, they spend most of the day drifting between them. If you are doing "mindfulness meditation," you will actually be here, now, fully present, which is where you wouldn't be if you were standing in line wishing you were somewhere else...

Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                        Mediation is an internal event, not an external event.
                        Yes, but you have to get there. The psychologist Charles Tart, who studied altered states of consciousness, pointed out that to get from one to another you need to destabalise the first state, induce the second, and then stabilise it. Meditation postures involve relaxation (to reduce the attention to bodily sensation characteristic of waking) but some degree of muscular effort (to avoid entry into a more familiar state: sleep).

Comment

Originally posted by DavidMcCann View Post
                          Yes, but you have to get there. The psychologist Charles Tart, who studied altered states of consciousness, pointed out that to get from one to another you need to destabalise the first state, induce the second, and then stabilise it. Meditation postures involve relaxation (to reduce the attention to bodily sensation characteristic of waking) but some degree of muscular effort (to avoid entry into a more familiar state: sleep).
                          Yup - that's why they are aids. However, once one is familiar with making the transition, the aids are less than necessary. The only thing I've found that is absolutely necessary is regulating breathing.

To "destabilize the first state" is a fancily technical sounding way of saying "shift yer brain." It's like saying "before you can stand on one foot, you need to destabilize a two-footed stance."

Once you can make the mental shift, breathing is as simple a trick as you will ever discover to trigger the shift, and you will always have the tool you need with you.

Unless you are dead.

But then you wouldn't be meditating.

'Cause you'd be dead.

I mean, really, I don't care. If people feel they have to build a temple, load it with sculptures, burn incense, and wear yellow in order to meditate, fine. I'm cool with time and money wasting. as long as it is somebody else doing it.

What I'm saying is that it isn't necessary. It's more of a type of self-indulgent luxury than a necessity, and it seems to me to make meditation more about the show than about the purpose.

Comment

Comment

I just came across this thread and to be honest I did not read all of the comments so if what I am about to post has already been posted, please forgive me. I recently started reading Dr. Wayne W. Dyer's book, Getting in the Gap. He stated that we have somewhere around 60,000 thoughts per day and that people have a hard time with relaxing their minds because of this. He wrote a very simple meditation (included a guided meditation CD in the book) that he uses which is pretty cool. He used the first line of the Lord's Prayer (I use the serenity prayer here) as the focal point.

Comment

My dad was a big fan of Dr. Dyer, way back...

But I've nevr looked into him. Maybe I should.

Comment

Working...
                                X