"natural rights"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"natural rights"

Are there "natural rights"? If so, what are they? How are they determined? Do they (or should they) supercede "civil rights"?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: "natural rights"

Natural rights might just be allowing people to be themselves..There is a right of nature that goes like this "Keep your wits about you,because nature will kill you if it can"
    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Natural has nothing to do with the country you are born to. So who cares about civil rights?

You have a right to be in this world. The end. Sink or swim little egg! Sink or swim.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

People have the right to food, they shouldn't have to beg for it or rely on foodbanks.
        They have the right to clean water and proper sanitation.
        They have the right to decent shelter.
        They have the right a free education right up to first degree (bachelor's) standard.
        They have the right to health service free at the point of use.
        They have the right to live in peace.
        Last edited by Tylluan Penry; 06 Aug 2015, 22:39.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I've got to agree with Duce here. We're just a bunch of animals that just so happen to have big brains. The only right we are born with is to enter into a world of conflict, struggle, and eventual death. All the rest is political babble.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
            I've got to agree with Duce here. We're just a bunch of animals that just so happen to have big brains. The only right we are born with is to enter into a world of conflict, struggle, and eventual death. All the rest is political babble.
            Not for me it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
              People have the right to food, they shouldn't have to beg for it or rely on foodbanks.
              They have the right to clean water and proper sanitation.
              They have the right to decent shelter.
              They have the right a free education right up to first degree (bachelor's) standard.
              They have the right to health service free at the point of use.
              They have the right to live in peace.
              I think that most of these are rights people should have, but they are not "natural rights," if by natural rights one means "rights a person is born with." If that is the definition of natural rights, a person is born with only one, which requires a long-time struggle to keep. That would be "the right to exist."

I think we need a definition of natural rights. Thalassa?
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

I think we need a definition of natural rights. Thalassa?

I think people have been arguing over this forever...

Natural rights are defined by dictionary.com as "a political theory that individuals have basic rights given to them by nature or God that no individual or government can deny"

...but I think this goes after the nuance fairly well, in that what is "natural" has different meanings in different settings:

Politicssource
                Although, I would argue that if we mean "natural" as "from nature", then yes, the right to exist AND to attempt to thrive and reproduce is the only natural right we have. But, being that we are also thinking beings who value our own lives, and are capable of cause and effect analysis, to goes to say that from that right, to exist, comes other rights... We need certain things for existence in this world. We need food, we need water, we need air, we need shelter, we need to be free from molestation...and to thrive we have other needs--a education about the world around us, access to health care when we are ill, etc
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

LOL - weirdly, "natural," in this context, means "not natural but theoretically perfect."

In that case, I fall back on the hierarchical golden triad from which all other politically manifested human rights SHOULD (IMHO) be derived - Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

political theory. Yeah, that's where we already start to have a problem with the understanding of 'natural' I guess.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Your rights end where my rights begin...some red neck pondering if my truck bed can become a wading pool...
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Ya can't piss without having it interpreted as a political statement these days.

Comment

Some of you might enjoy this... (or not ) It's about UK politics, but don't let that put you off, since Chunky Mark's comments tend to be applicable right across the western world.

Comment

I had the right to vote in the election: it was conferred on me by Act of Parliament. I have the right to use all material at Jstor: I belong to a subscribing institution. In other words, rights to do things are given to you by some-one who controls that activity.

If you live in the USA, right to freedom of speech (subject to minimal restrictions) is conferred by the Constitution. If you live in the UK, a more limited right is conferred by the European Convention and Acts of Parliament. But you do not acquire that, or any other, right just by virtue of being born. Who conferred it?

Rights also imply duties. If I have the right to vote, the authorities have the duty to provide me with an adequate opportunity. If you say someone has the right to a free education, who imposed the duty to pay for it on other people? Society may decide that a certain level of universal education is desirable for it to function, and consequently provide it free and insist that you take it, but you aren't born with the right to a degree, or even literacy.

Comment

Life and Choice

You exist, congrats you have a right to your life for as long as you can keep breathing.

You are capable of thought and action? You have a right to choose how you respond to given conditions. You have an oblivation to deal with the consequences of your choices but you get choices.

Past those, you have those rights afforded to you by others or that you can attain and defend through your own abilities.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                              X