"truth" and faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"truth" and faith

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: "truth" and faith

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
    How would you define “truth” as applies to your faith?
    As an atheist I am very interested to hear the rationalizations.
    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I don't think that 'truth' has any business being in the same sentence as 'faith'

My beliefs are BELIEFS, not truth. At a stretch I think it's appropriate to use the term 'personal truth' when describing something that enriches you spiritually and makes sense to you intellectually... but that's still not 'truth' in the broader sense.

Comment

There are two kinds of "truth": objective and subjective.

Objective truth should, theoretically (and in real life this is true only in theory), be the same for any number of people who use the same rules of evidence and the same rules of logic.

Subjective truth is a vast swirling indefinable nebulous numinous tenuous ephemeral creature whose nature is to have no nature. This is where my "religion" exists. I won't even try to pin it down because that is as fatal to subjective truth as it is to butterflies in a collection, says Corbin, getting all poetical.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I have believe truth can be applied on two levels: Factual and philosophical. Factual truths are easy to find as they operate in line with the scientific method - for example, it is a fact that I wrote this using a computer. Even more evidently, it is a fact that this text is written in the English language.

Philosophical truths are different because they are neither as evident nor are they tied to fact so tightly as their factual counterpart. For example: Both Hobbes and Milton believed their philosophies to be the correct ones regarding the question of morality and saw them a respective truths, yet neither of them can claim factual truth. Depending on their politics and beliefs people will be drawn one way or another (or even neither), yet none would be able to say "this is the truth" with the same certainty I can say "I wrote this in the English language".

If you asked me if I considered it true that there were many gods today, I would say yes. I have been influenced by Neo-Platonism after all, so I can easily fit within my philosophy a myriad of deities even if I do not worship (or am even aware of their existence) myself. Yet if anybody had asked me this very same question when I was five I would have said "There is only one god" and would have defended it with the same if not more vigor. Are my gods of today more plausible or logically feasible than the theologically correct monotheist god of those earlier days? Perhaps. There is certainly more thought and inner search behind the god I worship today than the god I worshipped back then, but that is not something I can bring forth as "absolute proof". To a third party, they could easily be a big cloud of nothing. Likewise, a panentheist could be firm in his or her belief, but to me it would simply not be feasible for a number of reasons which are again philosophical rather than factual.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            There are two kinds of "truth": objective and subjective.

Objective truth should, theoretically (and in real life this is true only in theory), be the same for any number of people who use the same rules of evidence and the same rules of logic.

Subjective truth is a vast swirling indefinable nebulous numinous tenuous ephemeral creature whose nature is to have no nature. This is where my "religion" exists. I won't even try to pin it down because that is as fatal to subjective truth as it is to butterflies in a collection, says Corbin, getting all poetical.
            Yeah, except there are two kinds of people. Those who understand the difference. And then those who scream THERE IS ONE TRUE GOD. Those people don't recognize the difference and believe it gives them free reign to terrorize the human population.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              Yeah, except there are two kinds of people. Those who understand the difference. And then those who scream THERE IS ONE TRUE GOD. Those people don't recognize the difference and believe it gives them free reign to terrorize the human population.
              Agreed. Fortunately, we can count ourselves as "not them."
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

The truth is,"You can't handle the truth!"
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  The truth is,"You can't handle the truth!"
                  Whose truth, yours or mine?

Comment

Well,it seems that we begin the negotiations for the fate of the pure feline lovers soul.....BEGIN!

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I bid one tinkleball.

Comment

Is that the import or the domestic version??

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          Is that the import or the domestic version??
                          No matter what it says on the label, all tinkleballs are made by Chinese slave labor. Only the Commies have the secret plans for construction of tinkleballs.

Comment

Hmmmm,very interesting...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Working...
                            X